PDA

View Full Version : Mr Childminder

Rich
03-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi folks :)

Signed up recently as I’m planning to take up childminding as a new career. I’m a single dad to a nine year old girl and I’d really enjoy this job. I’m just wondering… are there many male childminders out there?? I appreciate it’s an unusual choice for a man to take this path but it would suit me down to the ground. I’d like to hear what experience men childminders have had, if it’s been hard to find mindees? :rolleyes:

jelly15
03-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Welcome Rich. There are several male childminders who are members on this forum.

sue m
04-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Hi Rich and welcome,

As jelly says, there are a few minders on here, I'm sure they will be on soon.

Good for you wanting to do this. :thumbsup:

Sue

Bridey
04-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Good for you. As a lone parent myself, its lovely to be able to earn a living and be at home for my son at the same time :thumbsup:

miffy
04-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

As already said there are quite a few male members on the forum.

Hopefully there will be lots of families who would welcome a male role model for their children.

Good luck

Miffy xx

funemnx
04-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Hi there and welcome! It's a great job, I'm sure you'll love it :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
04-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the forum and hopefully a fantastic career.

My husband registered in 2011 and hasn't looked back.

If you want to register I would advise putting your forms in to Ofsted ASAP as you can do the courses after application but as of September you do the courses and then apply

Good luck :)

The Juggler
04-05-2012, 12:37 PM
welcome and go for it. good luck :clapping:

lulubelle
04-05-2012, 06:17 PM
my hubby is my assistant and loves it and the kids love him! Parents also seem to like the idea of another male role model and my ofsted inspector last week seemed to like nick more than me! lol!

sarah707
05-05-2012, 06:08 PM
My partner works with me and loves it! Parents are very supportive of a male role model too.

Good luck! :D

Bob
05-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Yes go for it. Don't tell the anyone this but there is a plus point to being a man in a female dominated job. At all the clap and sing and play groups I go to everyone assumes that I am incapable of putting the kettle on because I'm a bloke. It means I get tea and coffee delivered to me. Shhhh! Don't tell them.
Bob

francinejayne
05-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Going slightly off course - there is 1 group that I take the mindees to that is a 20 mile round trip - we go because it is run by a man and I like the children to see a male person running the group - there are far too little male experiences for some children!

So welcome to the world of childminding, welcome to the forum and good luck in your new venture!

Playmate
05-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Yes go for it. Don't tell the anyone this but there is a plus point to being a man in a female dominated job. At all the clap and sing and play groups I go to everyone assumes that I am incapable of putting the kettle on because I'm a bloke. It means I get tea and coffee delivered to me. Shhhh! Don't tell them.
Bob

your secret is out now Bob! My hubby is registered and has worked full-time with me for 5 years now and he loves it. His role at our group is predominantly making tea and washing up ;)

notts
05-05-2012, 08:18 PM
very interested in this post. I joked to my hubby about a career change and becoming an assistant, to which he actually responded that he'd love to... food for thought ! good luck you, whatever your gender, qualities and ability to care for children isn't gender dependent - all the best :)

NicoleW
06-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Shame you're not near me! I am currently looking for a male childminder, I've taken on a new child from Social Services on a 4 week contract but mum said she'd be happy to continue on from it if he's settled. Anyway cut a long story short he'd be better with a male childminder as he absolutely craves attention from my OH. Can't find a single male minder here though :(

My OH is fab with the kids, he's so good and he has such a good time I'm kinda jealous! He would make a good childminder though :)

NicoleW
06-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Going slightly off course - there is 1 group that I take the mindees to that is a 20 mile round trip - we go because it is run by a man and I like the children to see a male person running the group - there are far too little male experiences for some children!

So welcome to the world of childminding, welcome to the forum and good luck in your new venture!

My mindee that I have is 18 months old now, and he will scream if we have a man in the house (he's only just stopped with my OH!) He wants cuddles constantly if there's a male in the house, he doesn't let me go out of his sight and will follow me around screaming.

The only other man he sees is his Dad his care is predominently with women and everyone at playgroups are women too so he's hardly had a chance to interact with blokes

Greengrass74
06-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Morning Rich

welcome to the forum. I have been childminding for over a year now and have no regrets in choosing it as my career, I absolutly love it.

I work alongside my wife who has been childminding for years. I get nothing but positive comments from parents regarding looking after their children and they ALL love the idea of a male role model.

Unfortunatly I have had a few problems/comments (from other childminders :eek:) at some training sessions/seminars that I have attended, but I just put this down to ignorance, but on the whole the other Childminders in my area have been great.

I agree with Bob, the girls do think we are incapable of putting the kettle on, so don't let out the secret that we are actually capable of making tea and coffee, I have also been know to russell up the odd cake or biscuit ;)

I certainly wish you all the best in your venture and hope that things go well. :thumbsup:

Boris
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Hi Rich,
I know a male childminder and he is doing really well. He was a stay at home dad and registered when his eldest child started school. He looks after a child with cerebal palsy, the childs previous childminder was a lady who was struggling with the physical side of caring for him so from the parents point of view a male childminder was the ideal solution. He charges double fees for exclusivity too! Best of luck to you.

Rich
07-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks all for your kind comments. I was hoping the positive male role model would be a plus and seem this is indeed the case :)

I’ll never admit to being able to make the tea… ;)

I have my pre-reg session this Wednesday. Really looking forward to this first proper step.