PDA

View Full Version : The weather and children's behaviour.

nikki thomson
03-05-2012, 08:17 PM
It's rained here everyday for almost three weeks now and I have noticed a distinct difference in my own children's and mindee's behaviour.
They have wet play at school/pre-school and I'm finding it difficult to get out n about with little ones as well, I just want to hibernate.
They've got so much energy which they are just not getting rid of and after school with my own 3, 2 after schoolies and lo it's a nightmare, there like caged animals, is anyone else finding this or is it just mine?.
I'll be so glad when the weather picks up. X

Pandypops
03-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Oh yeah - we have the same at ours. They need so much more fresh air/outdoor play than they have had and they are climbing the walls (literally sometimes) in here!

Hopefully it will brighten up soon and we can spend all day in the park :)

Tazmin68
03-05-2012, 08:29 PM
I have got school children tomorrow as teacher training as well as voting day today!!!!!

sarah707
03-05-2012, 08:37 PM
We do lots of active play in the house - rolling on cushions, songs and rhymes etc. It helps

We go out for walks regardless of the weather as well :D

SYLVIA
04-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Iv said to parents that they must make sure children have appropriate clothes for the weather as we will still be going for walks regardless of weather. We have lots of fun in puddles and the children are asking to go out more now than when its dry!

Mouse
04-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Luckily I only have little ones here & it's easy enough to put the waterproofs & wellies on them and get out into the garden. And I'm lucky enough to have parents who understand they're not going to catch pneumonia just from playing outside in the cold & wet!

We haven't gone out when it's really chucking it down, but as soon as there's a bit of a break in the rain, we're out. I don't think any of us would have coped being cooped up inside all the time, and there's no way I could have coped with older children here.

mama2three
04-05-2012, 10:05 AM
the wet weather hasnt been too bad , we still get out and burn off some energy - the kids dont seem to care about the weather at all , i supposed theyve got used to being outside whatever the weather!!

The wind though - thats another matter.
they all seem to go a little wild on windy days , whether we are inside or outside!

nipper
04-05-2012, 12:38 PM
two words...togz rainsuits!

Vickster
04-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Mine go out whatever the weather. They ask to so out they go!

flowerpots
04-05-2012, 08:20 PM
I desperately need to invest in waterproofs and wellies!!!!! :idea:

samb
04-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Well parents have been looking at me and mine in shocked disbelief with them all jumping in big muddy puddles etc on the school runs! I calmly reply they are enjoying themselves, wearing off some energy and are dressed for it and it is much easier than keeping them away from the puddles etc! They take off their dirty things when we get back and put them all in plastic bags, have a wipe down and get fresh clothes on. I couldn't imagine not being out in it - they would go wild!

nikki thomson
04-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I have no problem with them going out in the rain but it's the older ones they are not allowed out at playtime/lunch time in the rain so have wet play indoors, that's where the problem lies they come out of school bouncing of the ground, quite literally sometimes,lol. X

uf353432
04-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I did find the toddler group I run was full of very highly charged 2-3 yr old kids and so burnt off a little of that by doing an exhausting movement session with me which I think helped. I've also noticed the after school kids have been full of unspent energy as well so have taken advantage of any break in the weather after school and got them in the park to burn it off. Tonight I have 9 after school and I took one look at them and marched them to the park for 40 mins before returning home for tea, they must have had a taste for it because they were all out in the garden as soon as we had finished tea.

The day time kids have continued to play out whatever the weather - we're not beholden to the weather and what the parents forget to pack I have spares. When we are fed up of puddles we always have soft play - yay!