PDA

View Full Version : Behavioural Issues

Racheljane
03-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I haven't posted before but have been childminding school-age children only for 18 months and recently have acquired new members with real behavioural issues! Obviously have spoken to relevant parents about it but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Can I ask anybody, if you have children before or after school, what system/structure you have in place (if any). Advice greatly appreciated !!!.

Thank you in advance.

Rachel

Goatgirl
03-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi Rahel,
Sorry you're having problems. It might be easier to offer suggestions to your particular problems/ type of behaviour that's being exhibited, rather than a long description of how I deal with schoolies and their behaviour..

I'll have a go at a short description:

I tend to run a pretty tight ship. Everyone knows the rules (we go over them whenever a new child starts) and I explain to parents and children that my rules wont necessarily be the same as they are at home or school but are designed to keep children safe and I insist they are stuck to.

Chldren each have an achievement chart: large card/paper with their name on (Big, usually bubble writing which they colour in) where I write things they have done e.g. Teriffic teamwork, Marvelous manners, top tidy upper etc. They can think of things to write on it too and each time something is written they get to choose a sticker to add as well. When they first start I tend to think of millions of awesome things they've done which helps them to feel valued and that my house is a nice place to be.

They all love to fill one up so that it can go home :thumbsup:

I try to ignore unwanted behaviour if it isn't affecting anyone else, but persistence or plain unacceptable behaviour by a child who knows better is met with time out: one minute per year as the older they get the longer it will be and the more likely they will pull themselves together rather than sit out of the action for such a long time (in theory: less time works, but they think its that long - i set a timer to beep.) If they continue after time out they go straight back in it. I keep things calm and just direct my attention at the other children, very important not to let them see they're really winding you up - more that its 'boring' and they're going to be bored now for x minutes while everyone else who is managing to control their behaviour and have fun can continue to play.

Main behaviour problems I have had have been at home time, when I introduced a star chart for a while, but I have found that it is just as effective to make sure child is ready 5 minutes early and not answer the door until they are literally able to step straight out. (obviously tell parent this will be happening and why :))...

Time out when we're not home is just standing next to me. I had one child who rebelled against having to go to school and would throw a tizzy fit, jumper and book bag on the floor, refuse to walk etc which was stressful for everyone as the other children didn't want to be late... I just stopped and 'waited for x to calm down and feel better' while talking to the other children about what they were going to do with their friends when we got to school, ask if they would get in to trouble if they were late and reassured them I'd go and explain what had made them late. My nerve held out the longest and he'd eventually pick up his stuff and start walking again. so off we went went with an "awesome, if we're extra quick we might still make it" and not making a fuss about the behaviour. I now allow an extra 5 minutes to get there to allow for this type of thing if I can ;).

I do try to never hold a grudge and once an incident has been dealt with it is put behind us: fresh start :thumbsup:

Ok, that's alot of writing, much of which you probably wont find useful, so I'll stop there...

Best wishes,
Wendy :)

merry
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Chldren each have an achievement chart: large card/paper with their name on (Big, usually bubble writing which they colour in) where I write things they have done e.g. Teriffic teamwork, Marvelous manners, top tidy upper etc. They can think of things to write on it too and each time something is written they get to choose a sticker to add as well. When they first start I tend to think of millions of awesome things they've done which helps them to feel valued and that my house is a nice place to be.
Wendy :)

What a lovely idea Wendy, I hope you won't mind if I copy it :)

:)

Goatgirl
03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
What a lovely idea Wendy, I hope you won't mind if I copy it :)

:)

Not at all, :)

Racheljane
04-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Not at all, :)

Many thanks Wendy, that advice was all invaluable! :)

Goatgirl
04-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Many thanks Wendy, that advice was all invaluable! :)

awesome :thumbsup: