PDA

View Full Version : Help Childminder with Rats!

monkeypuzzle47
03-06-2008, 10:13 AM
We have just discovered that we our very own rat residing with us. We have called at the environmental/pest control people on friday evening and they have put down poisen in the house, and the garden. I am a part time childminder due to this fact I think I should inform the parents I can not take care of their children this week (i work thurs and friday).
Your thoughts. Anyone else had this problem.
Do I need to contact someone say ncma, ofsted about this?
Helppp! :-(

venus89
03-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Well at least that's your theme for the week sorted then!! :laughing:

Rubybubbles
03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
ohhhhh ekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I have cats so 2-3 times a week have birds or mice in but half dead ones

I think if you have to wait until friday till they can come out, talk to the parents about it, I'm sure someone else will be a bit more helpful:o

venus89
03-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Sorry - I wasn't very helpful. I'd guess that as long as there's poison you've got to inform the parents at the very least. Can the kids get to it?

Rubybubbles
03-06-2008, 10:21 AM

haha you in same mood as me today:laughing:

monkeypuzzle47
03-06-2008, 10:30 AM
he has put poisen under kitchen units (no plinth) so they could get to it.
Also under various sheds in garden. Poisen is bright pink and blue so very attractive to children. Luckily my minded child doesnt pick things up and randomly put them in her mouth.
But I dont think i shall run the risk.
I was just wondering if you can actually mind with this sort of problem or is it something i need to report.
I have decided though to tell the parents I can not have their child this week.

sarah707
03-06-2008, 11:27 AM
That's probably sensible in case of an accident - though I would have thought the environmental health should have provided something which is non-poisonous to children and / or hidden behind things.

I hope this is resolved quickly for you! :D

miss muffit
03-06-2008, 11:40 AM

:laughing: :laughing:

Mollymop
03-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh gosh! It's making me wonder what I will be doing next autumn time.
We have rats every year - we live near a nature reserve, railway line, some neighbours with lots of chickens and a chinese takeaway (who like to leave rubbish everywhere) - so the rats make an appearance every autumn/winter time. My neighbour called someone out the year before last and they put traps, poison etc out. Last year we had the same problem, everyone in our street getting them running through their gardens and to be honest, I don't think we will ever get rid of them totally.

chez1373
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Oh gosh! It's making me wonder what I will be doing next autumn time.
We have rats every year - we live near a nature reserve, railway line, some neighbours with lots of chickens and a chinese takeaway (who like to leave rubbish everywhere) - so the rats make an appearance every autumn/winter time. My neighbour called someone out the year before last and they put traps, poison etc out. Last year we had the same problem, everyone in our street getting them running through their gardens and to be honest, I don't think we will ever get rid of them totally.

Thats awfull...
If it was a one of like this situation is thats not too bad but for you to have this problem every year i would be grey before i turned 30....

mrsb
03-06-2008, 01:47 PM
myself and my neighbour saw a rat in our gardens a few weeks ago so the environmental health came out here too, luckily they only put poison down in 2 places in the garden, noth of which couldn't be got at by the children but I did inform the parents anyway and they were fine about the children still coming.
I guess if you really wanted to min you could judt make sure you have a stairgate on the kitchen door and they don't go in the garden while the poison is there maybe? You'd have to inform the parents anyway and get their opinions as well i guess though :)

donnahay0
03-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Oh that really is my worst nightmare - I don't think I could cope with that and would probably have to move out myself, I absolutely hate rats.

I think you have done the right thing about canelling the children for the week. Have you been able to pinpoint where it is actually coming into the house so you can block it off. I wonder if the environmental agency have any advice on their website.

Oh let us know if you sort it out.

Twinkles
03-06-2008, 06:21 PM
I have a rat too......but his name is Gadget and he lives in a cage in my daughters room :laughing:

emmadines
03-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I have a rat too......but his name is Gadget and he lives in a cage in my daughters room :laughing:

Ha ha blessss!

I have 6 hens and 2 ducks (soon to be four)

apparently rats are everywhere we are...................... something thats gonna get more common..

Id call pest control and ask if they have anything the poisen can be put in so the kids can't get to it! or just get some plinths? (sp?)

or just a stair gete in the doorway to stop the kids access to the kitchen?

im sure the parents will be ok about it!

angeldelight
03-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Sorry in advance but I just cant help this ......

Everytime I see this thread I keep singing this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG51Z_RLwT0

Just made me laugh - although I know your problem is not funny

Angel xx

JazzyL
03-06-2008, 09:08 PM
:eek: Hope it is sorted soon :eek:

Chimps Childminding
04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Angel!!!!!!!!!!!! you are naughty thats wicked!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
04-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I just couldnt help myself Carolyn haha

I have a warped sense of humour I know hahaha

Angel xxx

mollmoo
03-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I know this is a very old thread, but had to put my experience on here!

I had a rat in my kitchen, when my DD was 4, I heard a noise in kitchen so looked in and couldn't see anything. Sat back down again to eat my lunch and heard a noise again, so peered round the edge of the cabinets and there he was a huge rat, eating the Cat Food.

Well I screamed, the childminding Kids screamed! Got on the phone to DH to tell him Had a rat in the kitchen to which he replied don't be silly its probably a mouse!!! It was the same size as the Broom !!!! Needless to say he came home from work early and said oh yes there is a rat!

Enviromental Health no help they said it would be about two weeks before they could come out. So paid my £70.00 and got the rat people out to come put poison down. I know now what the cat was looking at!!:clapping:

tulip0803
03-01-2009, 04:41 PM

Us too! Ours is Oscar in DS bedroom:)

We had rat visitors a couple of years ago and did all the poison stuff then - We now have 3 cats:laughing: more environmentally (and child) friendly than poison:D

sue m
03-01-2009, 04:43 PM
OMG Mollymops - do we really???!!! I didn't know that! I've not seen one. I won't dare go down my garden now!!!! I hate those things.

marion123
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
me to last summer it was in the loft i thought they couldnt climb but yes they can we put poison down and it killed it it was hugh not had them again got one of those noise things they can here it but we cant, cant remember what its called i really dont like them they scare me :panic:

chaotic_space
03-01-2009, 04:57 PM
mollmoo, you had to pay? When I called out pest control a few years ago because I saw a rat in the garden it was free. I called them out because I saw a mouse in the kitchen too. :panic:

Pest control are experts. Let them know you are a childminder and they make sure they place the poison where it cant be reached by mindees such as behind kitchen appliances.

Shar
03-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Get a cat, I have two. Lets face it rats are everywhere. If they smell a cat they do not enter the house. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Don't you have a fellow childminder that you visit for those days, use soft play areas to go out etc??

Would allow you to be paid and parents to go to work without inconvenience.

Hannahlg
04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
oh we allways have dead and alove mice in our garden with having a cat he likes to watch them run around and hit them

and brids aswell he allways have birds to he breaks thier necks

lets say the children and parents uaed to seeign dead birds and mice on the drive 2 parents being coming ten years and hasbet put them off (well one has the own cat who dose the same)

never had rats tho