PDA

View Full Version : wellies for little people

nipper
03-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I look after a 16 month old who has just gone mental when the others were splashing in the puddles...quite literally...kicking to get out of the pushchair. Mum has just bought her some pink doodles which are fine for sunny weather but not so good for encouraging her to get out of the pushchair and have a run around with the others. I was walking through Primark and had a quick look at their wellies, they had some nice little ones which looked pretty flexible for walking in...not too clumpy like some that you can buy. We've also tried out the new waterproof splashsuits from togz which are absolutely brilliant and no worries about getting dirty clothes.

Does anyone use wellies for their little ones and at what age? I wish now I'd hung onto all ds and dd's wellies.

manjay
03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
I have a set of wellies in most sizes that my own children have grown out of. It gives us great freedom to do what we want whenever we want. Many will say that is the parents responsibility to provide wellies but personally I have more important things to think about than whether my parents can remember to bring wellies all the time:D

I use them from when they can walk fairly steadily. Crawlers have the boots that go with the all in one suits.

Baildon bears
03-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I borrowed a pair of wellies from pre-school the other day for my 17month mindee, they were far too big though but he loved it, hard trying to keep him up right while taking photos though, I have asked mum to buy him a pair, he only has size 4 feet :D

Penny1959
03-05-2012, 12:19 PM
My mindees have used wellies from as soon as they could walk - did have problems getting size 3's (4 of the to kit out) but got them in the end. All had waterproof suits and wellies and have joined in with all activites since walking.

They love getting out and about in their wellies.

Penny :)

Dragonfly
03-05-2012, 12:19 PM
I hve wellies in alot of sizes and would def let a 16mth toddle through the puddles great fun for them although i always am aware of little ones getting cold if wet.

nipper
03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
You should have seen the puddles...I honestly felt like joining them!

manjay
03-05-2012, 12:30 PM
You should have seen the puddles...I honestly felt like joining them!

I would have done;)

butterfly
03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
I have lots of wellies in a variety of sizes - they're a god send as most parents don't remember to bring them! My DH has the job tomorrow of making a welly rack to go just outside the back door to keep them all on!

nipper
03-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I have lots of wellies in a variety of sizes - they're a god send as most parents don't remember to bring them! My DH has the job tomorrow of making a welly rack to go just outside the back door to keep them all on!

Now that's a good idea!

CH1957
03-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I keep a set starting at size 4 for mindees as 1 parent brings them and the other never does, despite asking lots of times, and I dont like him to miss out.

Pedagog
03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I have a collection of wellies in different sizes, some came from parents, some from charity shops. The great thing about wellies is you can disinfect them easily.

The Juggler
03-05-2012, 02:00 PM
one of my LO's has a pair of size 2's. not sure where her parents got them though. I also keep a stash of my kids old ones and donated ex-mindee or grown out of mindee ones. :thumbsup:

hullabaloo
03-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Loving all this rain , we're finding HUGE puddles to splash in!!!! Even the 1yr old (and nearly 40 yr old!!!!!:blush:) xx

onceinabluemoon
03-05-2012, 03:15 PM
We've got all sized between 4 and 6 (including half sizes), I have never seen them smaller than a 4 so its good to know they're out there,

justdaz
03-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I have a large number of wellies in all sizes collected over the years.
Ones currently used in a large plastic, sealable trunk outside the annex door. Others in shed.
Parents are really good at donating 'grown out of' wellies.

Children splash in puddles as soon as they stand up...nearly.

Also have large range of waterproofs for all ages, Lidl and Aldi good for theses, some donated by parents.

It makes life easier having these things to hand as and when needed.

loocyloo
03-05-2012, 04:05 PM
my friends Lo was teeny tiny ... they got her some wellies from a paddington bear :D!!!

mushpea
03-05-2012, 04:40 PM
I would ask the parents to send some,, I dont have the room to keep lots of wellies and dont see why I should pay out for them either,, parents either provide or the children just dont puddle splash

loocyloo
03-05-2012, 05:00 PM
my parents all provide and if they don't, well, i have been known to paddle splash in whatever shoes we ARE wearing!

most of my parents are good though and keep a pair of wellies here!

Chimps Childminding
03-05-2012, 07:35 PM
We have several pairs of wellies, but never seem to have the right size :panic:

My sons are all grown up now (and so is June's) so we don't have any of our own to pass on, but thought we could ask parents (in our next newsletter) for any their children had finished with, does anyone think this is being really cheeky????

Roseolivia
03-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I ask parents to provide wellies and keep here if they want. I also have loads of sizes just in case.

Hayley102
03-05-2012, 07:38 PM
I always ask for a pair of wellies to be sent with LOs. They leave them here during the week and take them home at the weekend. We use them when playing in the garden - normally find them easier to put on/take off themselves!

Monkey26
03-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I probably would have let the 16month old get out the buggy and jump in puddles anyways and then given mum the wet clothes and shoes in a plastic bag with a "sorry but I didn't want her to miss out! Can you bring some wellie boots next time please?!" ha I might be on my own here but that's just me :thumbsup:
Anyways... Over the years I have built up a collection of wellie boots in various sizes - parents have donated some and others have come from car boots/charity shops! I also have one size of teeny tiny size 3's which I do believe I picked up in a woolworths sale :) i also have a good stock of waterproof trousers and full waterproof suits xx

Vickster
03-05-2012, 09:18 PM
All of mine pack wellies, but I have spares too!

flowerpots
04-05-2012, 06:39 AM
We have several pairs of wellies, but never seem to have the right size :panic:

My sons are all grown up now (and so is June's) so we don't have any of our own to pass on, but thought we could ask parents (in our next newsletter) for any their children had finished with, does anyone think this is being really cheeky????

Im going to do the same, i dont think its cheeky? :D

PixiePetal
04-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Most of mine turn up with wellies either on or in a bag - all year through as we live on a farm :thumbsup:

I do have a couple of odd pairs which ex parents have left with me as their kids have grown out of them too

lulubelle
04-05-2012, 06:21 PM
i have started keeping my boys old ones and also put posts on freecycle!

VeggieSausage
05-05-2012, 08:27 AM
boot fairs are good for wellies...