PDA

View Full Version : How do you charge?

melco
03-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi,

I have a lady coming to see me today who would like someone to mind her son on a Thursday and Friday. But it will be a pick up from Nursery on a Thursday at 12pm until 2.30pm and then for me to take him to Nursery on a Friday for 9pm and then again pick up at 12pm and have him until 3.30pm.

When I had a childminder I was still charged while my daughter was at pre school and I know this is what I should do but how do you tell them without sounding rude? Also is this something that most childminders do as I don't want to lose out on getting a child because I am the only one who charges!!

Thanks in advance

Melco

Milli147
03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
If it were me I would charge for 9 - 3.30 on a Friday, as you are providing wraparound care.
On the other two afternoons I would charge only for the time used as long as she didn't want me to be a contact, BUT as it is only 2.5hrs I would charge a premium rate as he is effectively taking up a whole afternoons space.
That said, I would also ask her what she wants to do during the holidays. And if she required care during the usual play school hours I would tell her she will either have to pay a retainer for the extra to hold her space, or take her chance and give me 4 wks notice of extra holiday hours she may require.
If that makes any sense!

sarah707
03-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I charge for the full day and explain to parents that it's a wrap around fee because I am taking and collecting and can't fill the space. :D

Chimps Childminding
03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I would definately charge full for the day I am taking and collecting as I can't fill the space around it!

For the 2 sessions I am just collecting I would charge an enhanced rate for the afternoons but if mum wanted the whole day available for holidays I would ask for half fees for morning to keep space available!!

If she wasn't prepared to pay this then I would not necessarily ALWAYS have a space available in the holidays (even if I did IYSWIM :blush:)

melco
03-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi,

She did come round and I did tell her she would have to pay for the time he was at nursery, she said she did not realise but I explained the reason and she seemed ok about it. So will just have to wait and see.

Thanks for your help

Demonjill
03-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I charge half fees while at pre school but only if ive dropped off and will pick up.
If im just picking up then the care wont start until i pick up at end of pre school session
This was set up as at the time it was to get new parents signing up and not running a mile.I try to be flexible and help make things affordable for parents but still make my living -it works well:thumbsup: