PDA

View Full Version : I think child is ready

02-05-2012, 11:20 AM
I have a mindee who will be 3 in August. Mindee has been showing signs that it is ready for potty training for ages now and I keep mentioning it to parents. I recently had a week off work and before I went away I mentioned to Mum that this would be an ideal time to start off Mindee's potty training. Mum agreed however when I returned to work a week later, mindee was still in nappies and mum just said that it hadn't happened. I can imagine mindee will be hard work as mindee is stubborn and won't don't anything unless it wants to. I am now concerned as Mindee has constantly got a sore bottom from nappy rash and think that it really is time to come out of nappies. However I don't want to keep hassling mum over it because at the end of the day it is not my child.

littlecheeks
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
to be honest all you can do is suggust once lo might be ready but really it is up to the parents to decide. if they dont want to try yet i think you will just have to respect that. being in nappies shouldnt cause nappy rash, but maybe mention to parents no nappies could help with the rash. you cant do much else really.

loocyloo
02-05-2012, 12:06 PM
do you have a potty that is 'around'? i have one in the downstairs toilet as i have a couple who use it, and another mindee is interested in using it, so whenever i change LO nappy, she sits on potty for a moment or 2. ( i will say that mum is also doing this at home and 'caught' a wee last night! ) LO only comes 1 day a week to me, so i'll see how things have gone today! ( i see LO on school run everyday )

how about a childrens story book about using the potty, i can't remember what its called but our childrens centre has one about pirate pants or something!

i know its not the child you need to convince but mum, but if if child could borrow the book to take home, and you could tell mum that LO wanted to use the potty at your house, it might get mum thinking.

good luck x

blue bear
02-05-2012, 12:49 PM
if this child was getting ready to use an open cup or knife and fork you wouldn't wait for mum to do it first so i'd do the same in this situation and give him a try.
I prefer potty training them here rather than having them turn up in pants declaring they are trained and have them wet all over my house! This way at least you can decide if its working or not and stop if need be without pressure from parents.

The Juggler
02-05-2012, 12:51 PM
if i had a child whow was really ready but parents did not want to potty train I think i would encourage child to use toilet/potty at mine (contrary to my usual policy).

I had a teeny here (just 2) who wanted to join in with older children. she did so well I told mum. I carried on for a while using nappies or pull ups but just letting her go when she wanted. mum joined in one weekend and that was her potty trained.