PDA

View Full Version : Taxi service

QualityCare
02-05-2012, 09:52 AM
I have been asked by sure start to collect a child from school and drop her home (parents are paying) as l can do this l have said yes and have written up an agreement between myself and parent which both of us will sign, as this is not technically childminding, as the child will never be at my home and will only take 1/2hr traffic permitting, is this enough or do l need a proper contract.

silvermist
02-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Hiya, Im not entirely sure about needing a contract as such but you will need to have your car insurance changed to business use. Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgable will pop up with an answer re contracts. xx

samb
02-05-2012, 10:03 AM
I would say that as it is a written agreement that you will both sign then this is in fact your contract with them. make sure it states things like pick up time and that you will drop off at xxxx (address) and ensure a parent is in to meet the children? I would also then have a child details form and emergency contact details. I think they still need to have copies of your policies and sign permissions but I wouldn't fill in a full contract.

QualityCare
02-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks for replies, car has business use, have got all details of times etc on agreement but hadn't thought about permission slips (incuding using my car:)) thanks samb.

rickysmiths
02-05-2012, 11:05 AM
If they are not coming to your house is this not then a taxi service?

You are being paid 'rewarded' for transporting the children from one place to the other and not childminding them.

I would check with your car insurance but I don't think your business cover will you do this, you need to be insured for 'Hire and Reward' which is like a taxi.

If you have to do this you will have to register as a taxi with your local authority as well so you are Licensed to carry passengers.

Also check with your Public liability Insurers.

Personally I would touch a job like this with a barge pole. It seems to me Sure Start should book a taxi to do this not a childminder.

If I were doing it I would want the contract signed by Sure Start and the parents to insure payment.

Mouse
02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
If they are not coming to your house is this not then a taxi service?

You are being paid 'rewarded' for transporting the children from one place to the other and not childminding them.

I would check with your car insurance but I don't think your business cover will you do this, you need to be insured for 'Hire and Reward' which is like a taxi.

If you have to do this you will have to register as a taxi with your local authority as well so you are Licensed to carry passengers.

Also check with your Public liability Insurers.

Personally I would touch a job like this with a barge pole. It seems to me Sure Start should book a taxi to do this not a childminder.

If I were doing it I would want the contract signed by Sure Start and the parents to insure payment.

I agree with the above post. You say yourself this is not childminding, but it does sound like Private Vehicle Hire, for which you might need a licence.

I know it has been confirmed childminders don't need a licence if they take children in their car as part of the usual childminding day (ie. on school runs etc), but this is different.

silvermist
02-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi, I since spoken to my hubby who is a coach driver and he said this does come under hire and reward and you would probably need a taxi license and he suggests that you ring your local council for advice. Hth xx

QualityCare
02-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Have phoned my insurers (bluefin) and explained situation to then emphasised the fact it was purely collecting and dropping off, he was certain l would be covered but double checked with senior colleague who confirmed l was fully covered.

silvermist
02-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Great news! xx:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Mouse
02-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Have phoned my insurers (bluefin) and explained situation to then emphasised the fact it was purely collecting and dropping off, he was certain l would be covered but double checked with senior colleague who confirmed l was fully covered.

That's good as far as insurance is concerned, but you do need to check the position regarding providing a taxi service.

rickysmiths
02-05-2012, 05:35 PM

That may be right because I know Blu fin used to cover for Class three use which is not needed by most childminders.

However just because your insurance says they will cover you doesn't alter the fact that you are operating purely for Hire and Reward and therefore are a Taxi taking a fare for just that journey. As such you will most probably need to be licensed and if you are not then if you had an accident you would most probably find you are not insured.

Please ring your local council and find out, ask for the Licensing section that deal with local taxis.. This area is like a can of worms which is why I wouldn't touch it.

I have had big issues with Blu Fin in the past and personally I would want it in writing from them that they will cover your for this work if you are not a registered taxi.

They left me in a very bad place a few years ago and I wasn't the only cm they treated that way. I would never trust or use them as a broker again.

QualityCare
03-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Have spoken to the council licensing dept, as l am charging my normal childminding hourly rate this comes under normal childminding duties and is nothing to do with hire and reward and requires no special licence even though the child will not come to my home.
rickysmiths sorry you have had problems with Bluefin l have used them for several years luckily never having to make a claim but have always found them to be more than helpful when asking for advice about policy and driving issues.

rickysmiths
03-05-2012, 09:35 AM
I am surprised but glad you have sorted it out. Hope it goes well for you.