PDA

View Full Version : Childminders without a driving license...

Kezzle
02-05-2012, 08:55 AM
I was wondering if there were any childminders on here who can't drive and if so how difficult was it for you to get mindees when you said.. I don't drive? It seems the couple of times i've said it to potential parents they're then like.. Oh.. Erm. Ok. I'll get back to you. I'd understand if they had a 5yr old who was at school on the otherside of town but these are people who's kids go to school about a 15 minute walk down the road and thats at my brothers speed. For me it'd be less. It's a little off putting i don't plan to learn anytime soon it's far too costly and public transport has always been reliable enough where i've needed it. What would you do?

Bridey
02-05-2012, 09:00 AM
I have a driving licence but wouldn't drive to collect a child 15 mins away from school! I would walk.

Mouse
02-05-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't drive and I rarely have vacancies. It hasn't ever put parents off as far as I can tell.

We have a lot going on around here - toddler groups, library within walking distance, sure start activities etc, so I can show parents how we get out & about without the need for a car. I also stree how important it is for children to be given the opportunity to walk. Many are taken everywhere in the car and have little experience of actually walking anywhere or of crossing roads.

If you think it is putting parents off, don't be apologetic about it, but sell it as a positive - fresh air, the opportunity to become road-smart, all the fun things you do when walking :thumbsup:

QualityCare
02-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Do you tell the parents that you don't drive or do they ask, if they do l would say no is that a problem to you, if they don't ask l wouldn't say unless you were asked to collect a child from a school that was too far away and give that as the reason for not taking their child on.

ruby
02-05-2012, 10:27 AM
we don't drive and are nearly always full .We live in a large village besides a Mothers and toddlers group one morning a week and a couple of parks there is nothing to do So we are lucky to have a train station down the road so twice a week we catch a train to various activities its never hindered us not being able to drive

cathy

caz3007
02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
I dont drive, we walk everywhere. I am lucky we have lots of parks, fields, duckpond, toddler groups and a school, all within easy reach

nikki thomson
02-05-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't think it should put parents off but it all depends on what sort of setting you are and where you live more importantly.
If you live in a city with lots of things on your door step and public transport is reliable then I really don't think it's an issue.
I'm quite rural and I hate being stuck in I go out most mornings and in the hols were always out, usually throw some outdoor toys in the car,picnic and we go off to country parks/woods etc for the day and you just couldn't do that If you didn't drive most if them are about an hour away by car or in odd locations where theres no buses.
I do think though what you've never had you never miss, I've been driving for 16yrs since I was 24 and I never really got the whole it will completely change your life, the world Is your oyster, just get in the car and go anywhere type of thing but I just couldn't imagine not having a car I love my car and the freedom it gives me but not everyone's the same.
I'm sure there's lots of parents out there who couldn't care less whether you can drive or not. X

kellib
02-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't drive and it has put one parent off as she didn't want her 5 year old wanting a 15-20 minute to and back from school :rolleyes: No one else has bothered about it though, in fact no one else has asked!

I am currently learning to drive though but that's for me personally, if it helps with my business then that's an added bonus.

NicoleW
02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't drive, I walk 15 minutes to one school in the morning, 10 minutes to another school at lunch, 15 minutes to the morning school in the afternoon for my daughter amongst walking 20 minutes to walkgroups, 20 minutes to shops and libraries, or 5 minutes to the woods :)

At the moment I've had a new mindee who isn't used to walking and quite lazy so this is really tiring him out

mummyof3
02-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I can drive but I don't always have use of the car. I live 15min walk to the school and wouldn't drive there anyway. Majority of the time I have too many children to fit them in the car anyway :laughing:

It has never put anybody off but I do look after a few children who are not used to walking anywhere - I can tell this by there constant moaning ;)

Mollymop
02-05-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't drive and I know lots and lots of minders who are drivers but chose not to drive when they are minding.
It has never put anyone off before, no one has ever asked if I drive either. I live local to all amenities, town parks, schools so it is never a problem getting around on foot

Debster
02-05-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't drive I get around just fine . Its never put anyone off in fact some parents would prefer their child not to go in a car. I only service the school which my girls go to and are in walking distance I do not put myself out for no one they fit in with me and I have been full since I registered

rhea26
02-05-2012, 02:18 PM
I drive but chose not to use the car prefer to walk everywhere, we have libraries, parks and a farm in walking distance and if needed we get the bus, I prefer to walk as good exercise and fresh air for the kids and they love getting the bus and I dont like them being stuck in the car, I have 1 mindee who is now an excellent walker, however when she started to have to walk with me she didnt like it at all and would have major meltdowns to try and not have to walk, after a few times of tantruming on the grass then having to get up and walk anyway she learnt quickly to get on with it!
She didnt use to have to walk much with parents as they drove most places or used the buggy for her, now she walks lovely for them to!

PixiePetal
02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't drive and have no intention of learning - I hate it and would be a liability! :o

We get out to most places - just got back from soft play and lunch in local town (I live outside a village, 4 or 5 miles to nearest town)

If it puts people off, I am not the one for them :) We make the most of the countryside and large garden and kids love the buses which are infrequent but I plan round them:thumbsup:

I don't do schools as my own kids are teens and I have finished my years and years of pick ups

NicoleW
02-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Mmm a day without any school pickups... Heaven!

onceinabluemoon
02-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't drive and its never put anybody off as far as I know. we walk everywhere or go by bus. I'm also having driving lessons right now but as for the PP they are for me not for work. I shall continue to walk with mindees...

watgem
02-05-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't drive either and doubt I ever will due to cost and confidence lol but I make it clear from the outset, it has never put anyone off. We are very rural but still seem to find plenty to do, however as the mindees get older it might become difficult as they could get bored, I will just have to wait and see, one advantage is that we see so much when we walk also we have lovely conversations that we couldn't have in a car

tialil
02-05-2012, 09:43 PM
I have a license but havnt driven for over 7 years. I walk everywhere local and for days out we either go on the train, bus or if my childminding friend has a few seats spare we go out together.

Only been a problem once and that was several years ago before I moved closer to the school. I had a family sign up but then a week before starting they decieded they didnt want their child going on the school run in all weathers - their choice :)

janminder
02-05-2012, 10:09 PM
I don't drive and as far as I know not put anyone off, I am full and often get approached at the school. I am lucky that school I go to is not far and we can walk through the local park near me for half the journey. Also close to station with good links for trips.

Even after bad weather (which always seems to get worse at school times) I have not had comments about not being able to drive them.

Pedagog
03-05-2012, 09:02 AM
I don't drive, never have.

The two schools I drop off/collect from are both half a mile away. Occasionally we walk from one to the other which means potentially a child walking between a mile and half and two miles.

I have had two parents who have chosen not to have their children come to me, when I said that we walk everywhere, but to be honest I really don't want a child that expects to be pushed in a pushchair at 5 simply as mummy finds it easier.

All the children on my books now (bar one who is 10) love walking and during summer months we regularly go on walks of between 5-10 miles, depending on the age of the children with me that day.

JCrakers
03-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I do drive but cant use the car for work. Firstly because its hubbys company car and although im insured to drive it they wont allow me business use and secondly I wouldnt be able to fit all the children in as its only a 5 seater.

I walk everywhere which is fine most days. I worked out I walk about 15miles a week and have holes in my boots to prove it...lol
On days like this when its chucking it down I do despair but theres nothing I can do about it even though the bleeding car is on the drive today...:angry:

I have never had anyone turn me down because I dont have a car. We live a 20min walk from town and a 10-15min to school so everywhere is reachable.

The only time I miss it is when we cant go further afield like the farm or another park but i feel parents can do these things at the weekend or days off etc.

Pedagog
03-05-2012, 01:37 PM
We have been known to go on day trips that have involved, a bus, train and tram ride to get to the kids enjoy that more than the end destination.

miffy
03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't drive either but don't think it's ever put anyone off sending their child to me.

Some of the children probably wish I did, they get so used to being ferried around in the car, walking comes as a bit of a shock to some of them! :D

Miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't drive either but don't think it's ever put anyone off sending their child to me.

Some of the children probably wish I did, they get so used to being ferried around in the car, walking comes as a bit of a shock to some of them! :D

Miffy xx

I've got one 5 year old who moans about walking home from mine - he lives across the road :eek:

I drive and my sons used to love the odd time we went anywhere by bus as it was such a novelty to them!!!

kellib
03-05-2012, 09:13 PM
I've got one 5 year old who moans about walking home from mine - he lives across the road :eek:

I drive and my sons used to love the odd time we went anywhere by bus as it was such a novelty to them!!!

I had a mindee on the bus today, he's obviously used to been driven everywhere and didn't know how to behave on the bus, he was jumping about all over the place!

Going to have to take a few more bus trips so he learns :laughing:

Angela234
04-05-2012, 05:44 AM
I don't drive nobody has been put off by this.

We live in a quiet town only 1 town service bus we use sometimes most children never go on a bus so they love it.

I don't have school age children very often i'm happy to have under 5's as i have grandchildren in the hols, i do nursery /play school pick ups the ones we can walk to.

My main problem is getting off my estate when using double buggy either walking down a busy road with NO PATH OR LOTS OF STEPS going down through the estate thats when i miss not having car

Some parents like the thought of their children walking

Cammie Doodle
04-05-2012, 06:19 AM
I don't drive and although we live on a small estate on the outskirts of a village ( in the middle of nowhere, Penny will vouch for that, won't you ?) It has never been a problem until last Sept when the county council removed our school bus service :angry: . So we (parents , my Hubby and Carolyn) have drawn up a school rota and it seems to be working, but apart from that me not driving has never put any parents off sending their child to me .

Kezzle
05-05-2012, 09:29 PM
wow this has had a great response thank you!!

I live in a town. We have bus services to the city and other area's if we wanted to go on trips we also have a train station that goes to city and other places so toddler groups are more than accessable!

I live close to a couple of schools and nursery all about a 15minute walk. We also live right on the doorstep to all the open spaces of the peak district national park and there is a great park 5minutes from my house and another one with a great big playing field a few more minutes in the oposite direction! Shops are within walking distance too.

I had one parent ask if i could drive i said no is that a problem and it wasn't because i lived close to the nursery she'd chosen but she went with a nanny as it was less hassle for the kids and less unsettling. Which i could understand she has twins under 1 and a toddler.

Parent on the phone has a child starting school just down the road from my house and when i told her i couldn't drive so it'd be a walk she seemed rather put off by the tone of her voice and the conversation soon ended after that... needless to say not heard anything back.

I have now made it clear on my website i can't drive. If they don't like it then they won't contact. I have mentioned how i like to enjoy walking around the local countryside. I have a guide for children i made for following the green cross code too. I think it's important for children to learn how to use the pavements and roads safely i see sooo many kids on bikes with no lights (at dusk/dark) riding all over the road unsafely and darting out in front of traffic not using pedestrian crosses its unnerving.
I've seen parents profiles on childcare.co.uk near me who state minder must drive to run their child around to all their after school activities and such! I don't want to be a taxi service and i don't plan on wasting hundreds of pounds in learning to drive just so i can be one!

Jiorjiina
05-05-2012, 11:03 PM
I don't drive, and the only parents who have ever questioned it were more concerned about what I would do in the event of a major accident and had to get to the hospital. (They're a tiny bit PFB!).

I just told them if it was that serious I'd call an ambulance, and the hospital is about 4 minutes away. Much less in an ambulance with lights and sirens.

And they signed up! :clapping:

Most of them like the fact that I use public transport, tbh.