PDA

View Full Version : snack time?

lucyD
02-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Ive not got any mindees yet, & this may sound like a stupid Q but wondering how different CM do snack-time.
Do you sit them all down in highchairs for this or give them snack & make sure they are sat down somewhere to eat it nicely.Also same with drinks?With my own son I do sometimes just let him have something as he is wandering about...oops. What works best for you & what do Ofsted want you to do?

Thanks in advance :)

QualityCare
02-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I encourage the children to sit all together at the table or on the floor (depends on what we are doing) to eat snacks, drinks are always available and in childrens reach but they do not walk around with them, one child walking around eating a snack is ok but 3 will mean crumbs and dropped food all over the place.

buzzy bee
02-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I assume Ofsted would like us to sit LOs down nicely at the table. I usually do this, but occasionally I'll give them a biscuit or breadstick and they can have them whilst they play. And sometimes we all sit on the sofa and watch some TV while we have our snack (tut tut!)

With drinks they always have their drinks (in covered cups) accessible to them and I only give them open cups when they're sat at the table.

mama2three
02-05-2012, 07:58 AM
mine all have to sit down , sometimes at the table , sometimes picnic style. they are not allowed to wander with food . My own son , when Im not minding , is different. he soon got used to different rules when the other children are here. I do let them have their water sports bottles whenever they like but regularly take them back to the tray whenever they have left them around,

Milli147
02-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Mine sit at the play table in the playroom for snacks, unless we're still in the middle of something and then I put a blanket down on the floor for the to sit on. All the crumbs and mess just get bundled up into it. But generally I find sitting them on a chair is best otherwise they tend to get up and wander around - or crawl about with hands full of breadstick...mmmm....

Bridey
02-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I have a snack mat! Its a good routine to get into ... tidy up, snack mat down, have a snack and a story, up again to play :)

lucyD
02-05-2012, 08:09 AM
I have a snack mat! Its a good routine to get into ... tidy up, snack mat down, have a snack and a story, up again to play :)

I like this idea, obviously dependant on age etc

I want to make snacktime relaxed but also have them sitting nicely-this may be a good compromise & hope ofsted would approve lol

lucyD
02-05-2012, 08:11 AM
I assume Ofsted would like us to sit LOs down nicely at the table. I usually do this, but occasionally I'll give them a biscuit or breadstick and they can have them whilst they play. And sometimes we all sit on the sofa and watch some TV while we have our snack (tut tut!)

With drinks they always have their drinks (in covered cups) accessible to them and I only give them open cups when they're sat at the table.

Ha ha, love the tut tut

What I do with my own son is not really what I ought to do so thank you all for your tips, lovely to know I am not the only one who allows a bit of naughtyness. I always feel I ought to be strict to impress ofsted but guess you have to do what suits you to some extent..

Bridey
02-05-2012, 08:12 AM
You will be surprised at how quickly even the tiny ones get to know what the mat means and what it is for! :)

Katiekoo
02-05-2012, 09:07 AM

I do this and ofsted loved it!

singingcactus
02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Mine all sit on their stools at the little table. They have their water glasses there all day long, I just freshen it periodically. For children younger than 10/12 months I would pop them in a high chair for snack.

ziggy
02-05-2012, 02:50 PM
We have all snacks and drinks at the table, cant be doing with food and drinks spilt all over the floor and then babies crawling in it. May use picnic rug while outdoors on nice day

butterfly
02-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Ooh I do like this idea! What sort of mat do you use?

All of my children have the water bottles with their names on (or pics if they have an unusual name) so they all know which is theirs, it's always theirs plus they don't spill so water in the play room!

NicoleW
02-05-2012, 04:19 PM
OH OH I want a snack mat!

muffins
02-05-2012, 04:42 PM
We always have snacks and drinks at the table, but if their out playing in the garden they sometimes have it at the table in the play house or sat on the edge of the decking area:thumbsup:

karen m
02-05-2012, 05:24 PM
If we are indoors it is at the table ,if we are in the garden we have childs table and bench set and that is were they sit

Jacko81
09-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Iv just tried the 'snack mat' and it worked a treat. the children sat and ate their snack as I read them a story. they sat still all the way through, enjoyed the story, enjoyed the snack and crumbs were just shook outside.
Love it!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Kimmy050983
09-05-2012, 02:08 PM
We sit at the table, the ofsted inspector actually specifically wrote that in my report, she was so impressed with snack time :rolleyes::rolleyes:

PixiePetal
09-05-2012, 02:15 PM
We always have snacks and drinks at the table, but if their out playing in the garden they sometimes have it at the table in the play house or sat on the edge of the decking area:thumbsup:

me too, roll on summer when we can be outside to eat :thumbsup: :D