PDA

View Full Version : If a parent cancels holiday...

buzzy bee
02-05-2012, 06:46 AM
(at 2 days notice)...do we have to take their kids? Or can we say "actually I've made plans now so I'm afraid I can't".

I charge full fees for their holiday and no fees for my holiday.

I'm still working on the day in question but had made plans knowing I would have fewer children which I will now have to cancel.

BuggsieMoo
02-05-2012, 06:48 AM
What does your contract say regarding notice for holidays and changes?

If there is a minimal period and they have not met it, you are within your rights to say sorry but ive made alternative plans based on your LO not coming and therefore I can no longer accomodate them on this day.

miffy
02-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Do you have anything in your policies/contracts to say what will happen if they cancel holiday?

For me it would depend on why the holiday was cancelled - I have a 2 week notice period for holidays (not two days!) so there would have to be a very good reason for me to change my plans

Miffy xx

FizzWizz
02-05-2012, 07:14 AM
This has happened to me in the past and, as I charge full fee for the child even when they are on holiday, I figure that as I am being payed then I just have to cancel alternative plans and take the child anyway. Annoying to change plans at short notice but they are paying.

HTH

Bridey
02-05-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm still working on the day in question but had made plans knowing I would have fewer children which I will now have to cancel.

I would change my plans and take the children. I wouldn't feel right about turning them away and charging them if I were working anyway.

QualityCare
02-05-2012, 07:25 AM
As they are paying full fee l would take the child

jelly15
02-05-2012, 07:30 AM
I suppose parents could then decide not to inform us of future holidy plans and just ring/text on the first day of their hols. If they are paying anyway they have then got nothing to lose if they have to cancel plans last minute IYSWIM.

Bridey
02-05-2012, 07:33 AM
I suppose parents could then decide not to inform us of future holidy plans and just ring/text on the first day of their hols. If they are paying anyway they have then got nothing to lose if they have to cancel plans last minute IYSWIM.

True - as you say, if they are paying a full fee anyway, they have nothing to lose.

buzzy bee
02-05-2012, 07:52 AM

This is true but what's your point - I don't mean that to sound rude at all, it's just early and I can't work out if you're saying I should take the child or not take the child?? :blush: Sorry I'm being stupid.

This particular parent does do this a lot as well which, whilst it's very nice having an unexpected day off, I'd much prefer to know in advance because some days I only have DS and her LO, so it would mean I could have planned to do something nice with my son for the day. Maybe I'm just being a grump today!!

Mouse
02-05-2012, 08:03 AM
I used to have a family do this all the time. They'd book holiday time, then at the last minute (often the night before) they'd phone and say they would bring the children anyway, or might bring them for a few hours so they could get jobs done. As I was being paid I felt I had to have them and would often have to change plans & cancel appointments.

After that, I put it in my policy that once holiday has been booked it can not be cancelled or changed with less than 2 weeks notice. I explain at our initial meeting why I do this - I may have made other plans based on having been told that the children wouldn't be attedning. I stress that the fee is not refundable if I then refuse to have the child.

As for the point someone has made about parents then not bothering to give you prior notice of hols, that's fine. If they phone up the night before and say they're off the following week, that's great - an unexpected week off for me! If they'd planned to go away, but hadn't told me, then changed their plans & brought the children anyway, that's great as well - I didn't even know they'd been planning to go, so makes no difference to me that the children are still coming (it's what I was expecting anyway!)

I have no problem with them taking time off with no notice, what I do have a problem with is them saying they are going to be off, then changing their mind.

I would just add, if there was a genuine reason why the holiday was cancelled (family illness etc, not that they'd just changed their mind), I would consider taking the children as normal.

Bridey
02-05-2012, 08:08 AM
This particular parent does do this a lot as well which, whilst it's very nice having an unexpected day off, I'd much prefer to know in advance because some days I only have DS and her LO, so it would mean I could have planned to do something nice with my son for the day. Maybe I'm just being a grump today!!

If I had planned and wanted to do something nice with my own child that day then I would tell them that I had made plans for my own day off that day because they were on holiday so sorry, I won't be available. However, I wouldn't charge them for that day as its become my holiday, not theirs. I can't charge if I'm not available.

Milli147
02-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Yep, what Mouse said!

I have in my contract that I have to give them 4 wks notice of my holidays. but they don't need to give me any notice at all of theirs. They pay full fee for unused days anyway, so its entirely up to them if they decide not to come for any reason.

If a parent told me they were going to be off and then they changed their mind I think it would depend on whether I had any other children that day. If I was working anyway I would find it very hard to refuse to have their child, that sounds a bit nit-picky, but if I had planned a day off then it would be....sorry!

I am the same with ones who need extra hours in the hols, but don't want to pay a retainer during term time for the guaranteed space - you takes your chances, and if my other LOs are away then I will probably take the day off to spend with my own children :)

Ripeberry
02-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Depends if they were going to work or not. If they were all going to go off on a holiday as a family but then decided that they would rather have a week off a home but still send the children then that would be a bit :rolleyes:
But if the weather is rubbish and they were planning to camp then I could understand the last minute cancellation. But not spend some times with your own kids? :(

Bridey
02-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Depends if they were going to work or not. If they were all going to go off on a holiday as a family but then decided that they would rather have a week off a home but still send the children then that would be a bit :rolleyes:
But if the weather is rubbish and they were planning to camp then I could understand the last minute cancellation. But not spend some times with your own kids? :(

Maybe they have gone back to work to save their holiday to take later in the year?

Diana67
02-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Im new what does IYSWIM mean still getting used to the abbreviations lol

Diana xx

Ripeberry
02-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Maybe they have gone back to work to save their holiday to take later in the year?

Of course it depends on what type of holiday it was. No way would a holiday abroad be cancelled. Unless it was something that could be claimed back on the insurance. I usually ask if they are going anywhere nice then you can almost anticipate if they will cancel at the last minute.
But I've not had to do this yet as I'm term-time anyway ;)

Mouse
02-05-2012, 09:36 AM
With the family I used to have it happen with, mum was a midwife & had a lot of holiday to use up. She'd say "oh, I'm off such & such a week, so the children won't be coming". She'd then phone me the night before and say "actually, I want to get the housework done, so I'll drop the children in for a couple of hours sometime during the day".

It really annoyed me as I'd make plans assuming I wouldn't be having them, then have to change tham at the last minute.

I always think - don't get my hopes up that I'm going to have some paid time off! I'd rather have unexpected time off (ie. them phoning in the morning to tell me the children aren't coming), than be thinking I'm getting some free time, then having my hopes dashed :rolleyes::laughing:

Goatgirl
02-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Diana xx

If you see what I mean.... :thumbsup:

Milli147
02-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Diana xx

If You See What I Mean :) x

Beckieboo
02-05-2012, 10:54 AM
This has happened to me in the past and, as I charge full fee for the child even when they are on holiday, I figure that as I am being payed then I just have to cancel alternative plans and take the child anyway. Annoying to change plans at short notice but they are paying.

HTH

I would have to do the same, they are paying!

VeggieSausage
02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
not sure what the legalities of it are regarding the contract but how IRRITATING for you!!! :angry: It is nice when some are on holiday and you have less numbers isn't it....

buzzy bee
02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
As for the point someone has made about parents then not bothering to give you prior notice of hols, that's fine. If they phone up the night before and say they're off the following week, that's great - an unexpected week off for me! If they'd planned to go away, but hadn't told me, then changed their plans & brought the children anyway, that's great as well - I didn't even know they'd been planning to go, so makes no difference to me that the children are still coming (it's what I was expecting anyway!)

It is nice to have unexpected time off but I do find this equally frustrating - especially when I am expecting to do the school run and get a text at 2.30 THAT DAY to say no need to collect them (happens to me quite a lot) - when I've planned my day and naps etc around having to do the school run, and if I'd known earlier I could have done something lovely with the LOs that afternoon! :angry:

Tippy Toes
02-05-2012, 12:42 PM
This is a tough one, I would probably take the child but would remind parents that in future will need more notice.

xx

mummyof3
02-05-2012, 12:55 PM
I would do it this once but then explain that if they decide to cancel holidays in the future they need to give more notice and there is no guarantee I would have space available. I would get this put in writing on your holiday policy.

Mouse
02-05-2012, 12:57 PM
It is nice to have unexpected time off but I do find this equally frustrating - especially when I am expecting to do the school run and get a text at 2.30 THAT DAY to say no need to collect them (happens to me quite a lot) - when I've planned my day and naps etc around having to do the school run, and if I'd known earlier I could have done something lovely with the LOs that afternoon! :angry:

I do find it frustrating as well, but of the 2 (unexpected days off, or cancelling holiday), it's the one I find least annoying & the one I would prefer :thumbsup:

The Juggler
02-05-2012, 12:57 PM
What does your contract say regarding notice for holidays and changes?

If there is a minimal period and they have not met it, you are within your rights to say sorry but ive made alternative plans based on your LO not coming and therefore I can no longer accomodate them on this day.

but if you did this you would need to refund them as you are not available.

Bridey
02-05-2012, 01:47 PM
there is no guarantee I would have space available. I would get this put in writing on your holiday policy.

You can't charge them a holiday fee if you have no space available.

jelly15
02-05-2012, 02:37 PM
This is true but what's your point - I don't mean that to sound rude at all, it's just early and I can't work out if you're saying I should take the child or not take the child?? :blush: Sorry I'm being stupid.

Well you say you prefer to know in advance so you can make plans, I was just pointing out that they could stop giving you notice at all, it would make no difference to them but you wouldn't have time to make plans then. It is your business to run however you like but personally if I had nothing about cancelled holidays in my contract and parents paid full fee I would feel obliged to take them.

mushpea
02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
I would take them but tell her they would have to fit around any plans I had made ie appointments, shopping trips etc
I charge half fee for their holidays if they give me more than 2 weeks notice, this encourages them to give me notice and also means I feel happier saying no to them if I have made other plans.