PDA

View Full Version : Feedback from meeting with Ofsted

Penny1959
01-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Meeting today in London with Ofsted.
I asked about continuity of care - especially for those of us who currently have variations for this reason. Jean Humphrries answered - Ofsted think DfE may have accidently left out bit about continuity of care. They are going to seek clarification asap.

On the deregulation issue Jean said nothing had been decided. Several options were being considered but before changes were made there would HAVE to be a consultation and changes would have to be made to the law. She said nothing would happen before September and suggested the process to make changes takes years.

Penny;)

PixiePetal
01-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks Penny :thumbsup:

Mouse
01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Thank you Penny!

At last some sensible answers to stop the hysteria :thumbsup:

mama2three
01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Thankyou Penny , and reassuring on both points though if the omission takes as long to correct as the rising 5s clause did in Wales we may still have problems for Parents in September.

miffy
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks for that Penny

Miffy xx

Carol M
01-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Thank you Penny,
I look forward to the consultations where we will ALL be able to respond.
Hope the weather in London wasn't as bad as it was here.
Carol xx

Donkey
01-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you Penny,
Carol xx

Amen Carol

Cammie Doodle
01-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Thank you Penny

Carol M
01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Amen Carol

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
And God help us all.
Carol xx

AliceK
01-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Thank you Penny :thumbsup:

xx

Penny1959
01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Thank you Penny,
Carol xx

Not sure if rained while in meeting but stayed dry while walking through London.

And yes the point of the consultation is it will be open to all - if and when they decide to change things. The 'discussions' may come to the conclusion that everything ok as it is.

Inspectors were heard to say - Sir Micheal spoke without thinking / without checking facts - which I took to mean - we have to consider his comments But maybe things will stay the same once thinking has taken place and facts have been checked.

Penny:)

blue bear
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Thank you penny, much appreciated.

Toothfairy
02-05-2012, 07:28 AM

Playmate
02-05-2012, 09:18 AM
It was a good meeting Penny and I think it was interesting to listen to the feed back and to hear the inconsistencies being talked about already, even at pilot stage. Having talked to several inspectors yesterday, one thing I think CM's need to do is read and know the the new EYFS so that you can demonstrate this in your practice and not just on paper. If we understand what what we are talking about, it will give us the confidence to challenge if they question. Do not just follow the leader. We do not need countless peices of paper to demonstrate how we do things. I spoke to 2 lovely inspectors yesterday, who both agreed that they would rather hear CM's talk about what they do and see it being demonstrated in their pratice rather than peices of paper that don't mean anything and could have been written by anyone.

Penny1959
02-05-2012, 09:46 AM
It was a good meeting Penny and I think it was interesting to listen to the feed back and to hear the inconsistencies being talked about already, even at pilot stage. Having talked to several inspectors yesterday, one thing I think CM's need to do is read and know the the new EYFS so that you can demonstrate this in your practice and not just on paper. If we understand what what we are talking about, it will give us the confidence to challenge if they question. Do not just follow the leader. We do not need countless peices of paper to demonstrate how we do things. I spoke to 2 lovely inspectors yesterday, who both agreed that they would rather hear CM's talk about what they do and see it being demonstrated in their pratice rather than peices of paper that don't mean anything and could have been written by anyone.

Agree Playmate - excellent meeting - not sure if was before or after you had to leave - but there were discussions about just why do we need bits of paper - a suggestion made that only to inform staff in big settings - there was talk of observations first, talking to adults and children - and then IF NEEDED for further evidence to look at documents (although starting points of children, tracking and progress needed to be evidenced somehow - but maybe not through massive amounts of paperwork)

It was reassuring to hear Jean Humphries say - in the past we had tick lists - is the stair gate in place? Is the bleech in a locked cupboard? and so on - it did not keep children safe. Then we moved to policies and procedures, risk assessments and mountains of paperwork - this also does not keep children safe. We need to empower providers to maintain the law (the EYFS) but to be able to use their own judgements to keep children safe - and to ensure each child makes excellent progress. REFRESHING to say the least. Lets hope that by Sept 12 those very sensible words of Jean Humphries do not get lost in the translation to Ofsted guidance.

Penny :)

AgentTink
02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Sounds like it was a interesting meeting. I look forward to seeing some Ofsted guideance over the coming months as to how they will carry out a inspection, and hope that what was disussed in your meeting is carried forward to those documents. :)

ORKSIE
02-05-2012, 12:11 PM

xx

ORKSIE
02-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I spoke to 2 lovely inspectors yesterday, who both agreed that they would rather hear CM's talk about what they do and see it being demonstrated in their pratice rather than peices of paper that don't mean anything and could have been written by anyone.

This is how it should be:thumbsup:

xx