PDA

View Full Version : 48 hours for D&V - silly question alert!

FizzWizz
01-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi all,

For the first time in almost 2 years I sent a child home sick today - she had not eaten all weekend, lay on the floor looking lethargic and then had a seriously runny / watery nappy so I asked mum to collect which she happily did (suspect this was not the first runny nappy!!!!).

Now this was about 11am and mum said 'see you thursday then' - what do you all do in this case - do you say no to thursday until lunchtime as this is the 48 hours or do you just let them come at 8am and cut off a few hours from recommended advice?!:panic:

Thanks!

The Juggler
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I would probably accept from 0900 on Thursday PROVIDED there are no more bouts of d&v from when she picked up

i'd call and say look I wanted to confirm with you that you knew it needed to be 48 hours = which is fine from 0900 on thursday but if she does have any more bouts of loose nappies or sickness please let me know as it will have to be 48 hours from then. :thumbsup:

catminder
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Exclusion period is 48 hours after the last vomit/diarrohoea, so if lo has this for another day or two you may not be able to accept her back til next week sometime.
hth Alison x

FizzWizz
01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for replies. Reason I'm asking about thu is because I expect that even if there were more incidents I wouldn't be surprised if I was not told! As she picked her up she ran her hands all round her mouth then said maybe she's teething- she's 2.5 years!

Mouse
01-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I would say 48hrs from the last episode, so if that was 11am with you (and assuming mum doesn't tell you if it happens anymore at home) I would say not before lunchtime of Thursday.

What I would do is phone or text mum tomorrow and ask how lo has been, have there been anymore episodes? Ask it in a concerned, caring way, not in a checking up on you way! If mum says lo has been fiine, no more episodes, say that's great, you can have her back from lunchtime Thursday.
If mum says there have been more episodes, say oh dear, we won't see lo back until next week then!

miffy
01-05-2012, 01:57 PM
I would say 48hrs from the last episode, so if that was 11am with you (and assuming mum doesn't tell you if it happens anymore at home) I would say not before lunchtime of Thursday.

This is what my policy says too. I would also be asking if child is well in themselves, is eating normally again, up to the routines of the day etc.

Miffy xx