PDA

View Full Version : Contagious but no exclusion ?

Little Pickles
01-05-2012, 12:37 PM
hi everyone , was speaking to another CM this morning at a group and she was telling me of a situation she has just been through and it got me thinking of what I would do so just wanting to see what everyone does with such situations = LO had symptoms of HFM but was well in self , parent had checked HPA advice and no exclusion advised so CM let child attend , now other children in setting are dropping like flies with it and some are poorly and having to stay away , what should she have done ?? Although child contagious no exlusion is deemed neccesary from the HPA so should we accept children as parent expected or not and if not what reason can we give ?? Especially with something like this that they are contagious even before symptoms. Not sure what I would have said especially with a parent who had HPA advice on their side !

mama2three
01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I would just abide by the guidance , mainly as HFM is contagious before the symptoms appear. Excluding once they have the spots / ulcers is a bit like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted. They are likely to have already passed the virus on to other children and excluding at this time is pointless.
i do know others who exclude for hfm though - you can decide to put whatever you like in your own sickness policy.

AliceK
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
I use the HPA as a guideline but at the end of the day it is my business and so if I feel the risk is too great even if the HPA doesn't have an exclusion period then I may well do so.

xxx

mummyof3
01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
I use the HPA as a guideline but at the end of the day it is my business and so if I feel the risk is too great even if the HPA doesn't have an exclusion period then I may well do so.

xxx

I agree :thumbsup:

They also say conjunctivitis is a no exclusion necessary as well and I certainly don't want that going round my house !!!

miffy
01-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Not sure what I would have said especially with a parent who had HPA advice on their side !

It's your business so you can decide whether or not you exclude, just make sure your sickness policy is clear to parents.

Miffy xx