PDA

View Full Version : Do you let children attend if they need antibiotics?

Tippy Toes
01-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi All

Little one was off last wk with chest infection.

Mum has text to say he is well enough to come but can i give him his antibiotics?

My thinking is yes he can attend, what do you do?

Thanks x

AliceK
01-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Yes I am happy to do this. I will get a medication form signed for consent and give them. Remember they usually have to be kept in the fridge.

xxx

Tippy Toes
01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Yes I am happy to do this. I will get a medication form signed for consent and give them. Remember they usually have to be kept in the fridge.

xxx

Thanks for quick reply x

PixiePetal
01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
yes with medicine forms filled in as long as child is well enough to join in and antibiotics have kicked in

marnieb
01-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Yes, but only after they have had them at home for at least 24 hours to make sure they are in lo's system and no chance of an allergic reaction.

Tippy Toes
01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies, very helpful x

Chimps Childminding
01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes, but only after they have had them at home for at least 24 hours to make sure they are in lo's system and no chance of an allergic reaction.

Same here!!! :thumbsup:

Stapleton83
01-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Yes would do, so long as they sign the necessary medication forms and what they have is not contagious!:)

Little Pickles
01-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I have a 48 hr rule after starting antibiotics , this is not only due to possiblity of allergic reaction but to ensure that the antibiotics are working , some parents in the past have tried to drop child off to me on the way home from dr's with antibiotics when they really should be at home , poor little things

Bananabrain
01-05-2012, 12:17 PM
I was going to ask the exact same question! Considering changing my sickness policy but not sure. I have a child 2 and a half that I have had since October.
In that time she has been sick more than she has been well. This week I have also been on antibiotics and I am a little fed up [understatement] now.
Since Christmas this child has had 4 lots of antibiotics, tonsilitis, hand, foot and mouth, ear infections, eye infection etc etc. I am at a loss to be honest. It just seems to be one thing after another. I have read other posts and thought that the 48hr rule that someone suggested was a good idea, but even after a good few days on meds this child is STILL not really right.
Mum is on an intensive midwifery course and insists that she absolutely can't take time off.
Spoke to her yesterday [I thought maybe it's because mum is passing germs from the hospital perhaps] because it's just silly now.
I have been really struggling this week as I am now ill. I just don't know how to take it forward and what to do for the best.
Is it normal for a child to be ill so often? Do you think it's because her immunity is shot? Do you think I should ask mum to get Gp to investigate further?

Little Pickles
01-05-2012, 12:28 PM
I was going to ask the exact same question! Considering changing my sickness policy but not sure. I have a child 2 and a half that I have had since October.
In that time she has been sick more than she has been well. This week I have also been on antibiotics and I am a little fed up [understatement] now.
Since Christmas this child has had 4 lots of antibiotics, tonsilitis, hand, foot and mouth, ear infections, eye infection etc etc. I am at a loss to be honest. It just seems to be one thing after another. I have read other posts and thought that the 48hr rule that someone suggested was a good idea, but even after a good few days on meds this child is STILL not really right.
Mum is on an intensive midwifery course and insists that she absolutely can't take time off.
Spoke to her yesterday [I thought maybe it's because mum is passing germs from the hospital perhaps] because it's just silly now.
I have been really struggling this week as I am now ill. I just don't know how to take it forward and what to do for the best.
Is it normal for a child to be ill so often? Do you think it's because her immunity is shot? Do you think I should ask mum to get Gp to investigate further?

I sympathise with you , its a difficult situation all round especially for that poor LO
I was surprised that she was prescribed antibiotics for HFM as its a virus ?
Some times the LO's do just catch one thing after another . Hopefully she will pick up soon