PDA

View Full Version : Where do I put the potty?

fluff1975
30-04-2012, 08:59 PM
So, I have a 1yo a 2yo and a (nearly) 3yo. The 3yo is potty training and it's going really well. I have him for 5 hours on a Tuesday morning. My dilema is this..

I don't know where to put the potty! We have one toilet which is upstairs and the gate is always shut as the little ones would be up there in a blink. He is still needing help, so I can't put it up there and leave the little ones downstairs unattended. I could put it in the kitchen (tiled floor) but is that a bit 'eew'?! Then there's the whole emptying it. Do I do a quick run upstairs (unattended children), a quick run outside to the grid (unattended children), or tip it down the utility sink (a bit manky), rinse well and dettol like mad?!!

I can't be the only childminder with just one loo and small inquisitive children?

Baildon bears
30-04-2012, 09:09 PM
I will be really interested to see the responces you get from this, I will be in the same situation in september for 2 days a week. Potty's are very attractive to little ones. I would not put wee down my sink though :eek:, I think I will have to have potty in my kitchen where I can shut the door and make a dash up stairs to empty it. or put them in a playpen where I know they are safe, not sure.

Mouse
30-04-2012, 09:13 PM
I put the potty in the hall on a Pampers mat (not sure what they're called, but they're absorbent mats).

I keep toilet roll, wipes & disinfectant wipes on a shelf on the bookcase. I'm always aware of what the children are doing, so i can make sure the other children stay away from the potty. If need be, I shut the gate across the playroom so they can't get into the hall & I can let the potty training mindee out as needed (or I can go with them if they need help). When they've used the potty mindee wipes their hands with a babywipe, I run upstairs with it, empty it down the toilet, wash it under the hot tap & spray it with detol spray (that lives on the top of the bathrooom cupboard). While in the bathroom I wash my hands, then come downstairs & get a bowl of warm water for mindee to wash theirs (I keep a bowl specially for after potty hand washing)
If they've sat on the potty, but not done anything, I wipe it round with a disinfectant wipe & bin that.

babs
30-04-2012, 10:51 PM
im glad i dont have this problem got 2 potty training at moment i dont use potty straight on toilet glad i have one down stairs.

sharonmanc
01-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I am potty training my daughter at the moment. She has an aversion to noise, (hyper sensistive) so the toilet and flushing freaks her out, so we use the potty, Potty just stays down stairs at the moment as mindee is not mobile, however she is just learning to crawl, so I will be putting potty either in my tiny hall way with a gate at the door or kitchen near the gate. I have a travel potty so the bags can just be tied up and put in the bin, then I either wash my daughters hands or use anti bac hand sanitiser until i can wash her hands.

Baildon bears
01-05-2012, 10:37 AM
I only have a tiny hall way, not enough roon to swing a cat im afraid:(.

~Grasshopper~
01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
you can leave children alone whilst you pop upstairs with a potty.

mr ofsted told me during my inspection that they need to learn to risk assess for them selves.

i would keep the potty clean and in the corner of the room and run up to empty and was as and when required. if you can go up immediatly i would put some tissue into it to soak up the wee and leave on the stairs out of reach till i could go.

i dont watch the children 100% of the time but i am always within earshot of them xx

fluff1975
01-05-2012, 04:37 PM
you can leave children alone whilst you pop upstairs with a potty.

mr ofsted told me during my inspection that they need to learn to risk assess for them selves.
i would keep the potty clean and in the corner of the room and run up to empty and was as and when required. if you can go up immediatly i would put some tissue into it to soak up the wee and leave on the stairs out of reach till i could go.

i dont watch the children 100% of the time but i am always within earshot of them xx

Thank you, I like this. Thanks everyone for your suggestions :)