PDA

View Full Version : Fed up of tidying and cleaning!

Hayley102
30-04-2012, 06:11 PM
How do you keep on top of the tidying and cleaning? Does anyone have a cleaner? I am fed up of being dog tiered at the end of the day and having to clean the floors etc. Having a family of my own (children aged 10 and 8) I feel I spend alot of my time tidying up after them and my dh ready to work and tidying up after mindees ready for more of a family home feel at end of day/week. It really gets me down :( So how do you all cope?

Bridey
30-04-2012, 06:18 PM
My son is responsible for his own bedroom and has to keep it tidy. Anything he brings downstairs he takes back up at bedtime. The children tidy all the toys away before meal times - after dinner its 10 minutes of books/tv before hometime, not toys. I have a cleaner who comes once a week to do dusting, floors and bathrooms. Can't help with the DH - I'm a single girl, never could work out how to train a man! ;)

BucksCM
30-04-2012, 06:31 PM
I get mindees to tidy up after themselves at the end of the day...normally before tea...as I have a rule that no more toys are taken out after tea...just colouring or a book. Early on I got fed up of children being picked up and taken without tidying up...parents were like "come on, lets go" The children learn to tidy as I'm their minder not their scivvy!:D
I've also taught my children that they need to help around the house...they don't get pocket money for it...never have. My 12 yo washes up after every evening meal (ds used to do it but he now works some evenings as well as studying for A levels) They strip their own beds when they need doing, ds does his own washing, dd puts it in with ours still. They've made their own packed lunches since they went up to junior school.
I have to say, dh is the worst at doing *** all!! So if he ever makes a stupid remark...you know the sort ladies:D I'll have a meltdown and use those well known phrases we all know...
"Oh, I guess the :censored:washing fairies came and did it!"
"Really, well I'll just wait for the hoover/dust fairy then!"
"No...that's OK...I'll just do it...I always do..."
"You know what, you think you can do it? YOU do it next time then!"
Etc. etc. etc.......

samb
30-04-2012, 07:49 PM
It drives me mad too but I also have rules like all children help tidy before tea then after I only have a box of books out and maybe a couple of soft toys/rattle for the baby.

Sometimes I hoover more than once a day - if particularly messy at lunch/play times otherwise at 5:30 - if mindees are still there then the parents shouldn't mind as I have finished and so they are late!

My children take it in turns to mop the hallway, kitchen and bathroom (they are 3 and 6) - I ring out the mop and hand it to them and tell them where to clean! I use a dishwasher and to be honest I would rather put it on twice in a day than wash up! I usually only do 2 washing up bowls a day with things like sports bottles that don't go in the machine.

I put washing on before mindees come and either hang it up while they are playing outside or put in tumble dryer. I sort and put away as I go where I can and iron once a week at the weekend.

I wipe surfaces down every time I use a surface - then it never feels like a chore. Mindees and my kids take it in turns to lay the table and help clear the table too and wipe it down.

I put bin at front door twice a week after mindees leave and it is oh's job to put it out. I have different recylcing bins and the kids know the top one is for paper and card and the bottom is for plastic bottles. So they help to sort it out and I put it out once a week.

My kids strip their own beds for me on request and they like to help me do mine too. I have a really heavy king size mattress though so now oh has to help me as I can't lift it to turn on my own!

I clean the toilet and changing mat properly before mindees come every morning and wipe the mat when I use. I put nappy ribbish out every day. I clean the sink at the end of the day as I think ok would be shocked if he realised how dirty it can get!

So most things are done as I go without too much hassle. I get the little ones to join in with as much as possible. I do some jobs only at the weekend. It doesn't really take me long when I do it but if I left it all to do when everyone was gone it would take me ages every day and I wouldn't be prepared to do that.

PixiePetal
30-04-2012, 09:01 PM
you need your family on board.

My kids have made their own packed lunches since the age of 7 or 8, strip their beds (and make them too now they are older) put out rubbish/recycling

As teens they tidy/clean their own rooms (or not!!) DD does her own ironing, I do washing as I choose to, unless they want something specific - in which case it is DIY :thumbsup: but if it's left in their rooms I don't go in and get it!

All help load/unload dishwasher, clean house when asked - or nagged :D

DH doesn't do much on a day to day basis as his work can be very long hours but is good for the occasional jobs, I write a list for him for when he has time

mindees help tidy from when they can understand. No messy play after tea. I keep a selection of easy to tidy toys - like the magnetic drawing plates/ books/colouring for the end of the day. Or a story with puppets from the bag

miffy
30-04-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree with the others get your own kids to do more for themselves and the mindees to help you tidy up before home time

Miffy xx

Hayley102
01-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Thank you for your replies. I do try to get children involved but sometimes it is quicker to do it myself! Will have to work on strategies to improve the help around the house strategy!

Chimps Childminding
01-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Thank you for your replies. I do try to get children involved but sometimes it is quicker to do it myself! Will have to work on strategies to improve the help around the house strategy!

I know that feeling :rolleyes: I keep trying to get my lot (4 sons aged 19 & 20 and DH) to help, but sometimes it is quicker and easier to do it myself :angry: DH picked the toys up when I was seeing the last mindees off one day last week, but didn't know which boxes to put them in so just heaped them onto the sofa!!!!

I have an 18 month old who absolutely loves the hand held vacuum, so after lunch/snacks I get that out for him and he tidies up - bless him!!!

But I know what you mean about being too tired at the end of the day! I'm ok as long as I don't sit down first, but once I do, I find it very hard to get going again!!!

Cammie Doodle
01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
My Hubby is quite good most of the time, but sometimes needs reminding :rolleyes:
On a Thursday( my last working day of the week ) before I sit down all toys highchairs, travel cot and gates are put away, hoovering gets done, kitchen cleaned, french door and windows are cleaned of sticky fingerprints then I feel able to relax.
Sometimes I feel all I do is clean and tidy, but my house never looks the way I really want it to :rolleyes:

funemnx
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM
My DH is the worst ever for making a mess/not doing housework :angry: but my sons packed their own lunch/did their own laundry/beds and cooked meals since they were early teens :thumbsup: