PDA

View Full Version : turned up early..

Demonjill
30-04-2012, 07:11 AM
2 mindees contracted to arrive at 8am and usually dont arrive until at least 8.10am just turned up early at 7.45am:(
I originally was not going to answer the door but DD leaves for school around that time so had to open door.
I said "O you are early"
Parent said "We are bit early today as I have to be in at work early"
Now I know its only 15 mins early but thats not the point. I was not ready for them and I like to see my DD off before they come etc.
These 2 mindees very rarely use up their contracted hours as they are usually picked up before 3 , 4 at the latest and are contracted until 5pm. Now I know that thats not the point and parent should not be thinking that as they are normally pick up early that its ok to drop off early etc.

How sould I deal with this as i was put on spot at the time and parent was in a rush? - ive never had this before.
Parent knew I was not happy but surely she would have known she needed to be in work early and could have text me as she normally texts me all the time to tell me pick up times and other info - so i was a bit surprised to say the least!!

All help and advice appreciated :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
30-04-2012, 07:17 AM
To be honest if it has never happened before and they are good parents I would let it go. I can't get excited about odd things like this, yes it would have been polite to ring and ask but we are all human.

If it happens again then I would just ask the parents if they need to change their hours.

Bridey
30-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Just tell her that if she ever needs you to start before 8am in the future, could she please let you know at least the day before so you can make sure you are ready.

ziggy
30-04-2012, 07:41 AM
15mins wouldnt really bother me but i dont have my own children here.

When she comes back later could you suggest she lets you know next time so you are ready. I would also mention it in newsletter

EmmaReed84
30-04-2012, 07:57 AM
I would simply just explain that although it is anly 15 minutes early, that is the time you use to prepare for their arrival and if in future can she give you a little notice.

I wouldn't mind doing it at all, just be explaining about needing to know.

Mouse
30-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Different things bother different people and early drop off is one thing that REALLY bugs me!

I did have one of mine dropped off early last week, but that was because mum was off to a funeral & asked if it was OK if she brought mindee early. I have no problem with that.

It's the ones who know they need to be early one day & just asume it's OK.

At pick up I would say to mum that in future if she needs an early drop off she needs to ask if you can do it. I explain that in those final 15 minutes I can get hoovered round, get things set out and finish getting myself ready.

QualityCare
30-04-2012, 07:59 AM
l would just say, sorry l wasn't ready this morning it was a bit of a shock to see you early can you please text if you are going to be early and warn me, a.s they don't argue about the hours at the end of the day l wouldn't be looking for extra from them.

Mouse
30-04-2012, 08:01 AM
l would just say, sorry l wasn't ready this morning it was a bit of a shock to see you early can you please text if you are going to be early and warn me, a.s they don't argue about the hours at the end of the day l wouldn't be looking for extra from them.

lol! I wouldn't apologise for not being ready when they were the ones arriving early!

BucksCM
30-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Arriving early bugs me too. She would have known she had to be in work early(unless she has the sort of job that she was contacted late last night...on a Sunday??!?)
All my parents know that now my children are older, I fine tune my "getting up" so that I'm just putting my top on and pulling it down as i'm walking downstairs to answer the door...well...that's what I've always told them!:D
A cm friend of mine had a parent who used to turn up anywhere between 15-30 minutes early!...start time of 7.45am:eek: She did open the door in her pjs and tell the parent to wait in the car as she was early!!:D
A text or a call is polite.
Just remind her of this later.

Demonjill
30-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Different things bother different people and early drop off is one thing that REALLY bugs me!

I did have one of mine dropped off early last week, but that was because mum was off to a funeral & asked if it was OK if she brought mindee early. I have no problem with that.

It's the ones who know they need to be early one day & just asume it's OK.

At pick up I would say to mum that in future if she needs an early drop off she needs to ask if you can do it. I explain that in those final 15 minutes I can get hoovered round, get things set out and finish getting myself ready.

this is exactly it Mouse!:thumbsup:

Its amazing what I can get done in 15 minutes :D and thats my only day I get a bit of time with my DD before she goes to school.

If she had asked I would have said yes no problem this time (or the odd time) but to just turn up and expect all to be fine - its just plain rude - I couldnt do it to someone so why should I accept it.

As others have said they are generally good parents, pay well and usually pick up early so dont want to rock the boat.
On other hand dont even want to get into some of the situations that i read about on here all the time about the 15 minutes early becomong half an hour every day etc...:panic::panic:

I wont see mum at pick up its usually dad and hes a bit forgetful so will just send mum wee text asking in future to let me know if she wants to drop off early so I can be prepared to accept her kids and not still getting myself ready

Bridey
30-04-2012, 08:42 AM
All my parents know that now my children are older, I fine tune my "getting up" so that I'm just putting my top on and pulling it down as i'm walking downstairs to answer the door...well...that's what I've always told them!:D

That is exactly what I've told mine... that I get dressed last. :D The threat of me opening the door in my pants is apparently scary enough to make sure I get good warning of early arrivals! :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
30-04-2012, 08:55 AM
If it is a 1 off I would just add it on to the bill and not say anything

Baildon bears
30-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Personally I would just let it go, some times its about give and take. 15mins would not bother me on the odd occassion, especially when she pays me till 5.00 but collects 1-2hours early.

Demonjill
30-04-2012, 09:04 AM
If it is a 1 off I would just add it on to the bill and not say anything

Ive no intention of billing for this:thumbsup:

Demonjill
30-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Personally I would just let it go, some times its about give and take. 15mins would not bother me on the odd occassion, especially when she pays me till 5.00 but collects 1-2hours early.

I do alot of give and take in many different ways with all my mindees and families. Me being flexible is one of the reasons I am the chosen one in the first place.
15 mins does not bother me on the odd occasion - in fact 2 hours early does not bother me AS LONG AS IVE BEEN ASKED then i can prepare.

Whether they use their contracted hours or pick up early should have nothing to do with it really - as thats their choice and does not spoil my family time - but dropping off early unannounced does!!

Demonjill
30-04-2012, 09:11 AM
That is exactly what I've told mine... that I get dressed last. :D The threat of me opening the door in my pants is apparently scary enough to make sure I get good warning of early arrivals! :laughing:

:laughing::laughing:ha ha

Demonjill
30-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys

I have text parent nicely to ask her to check with me before early drop off so im prepared and she text back

"Im so sorry i forgot they started at 8am - i paid last CM for the morning and could drop them off any time after 7am. I wont do it again"

So i text back to say all was ok and was sorted now.:thumbsup:

I must say though I wouldnt fancy having mindees all turning up willy nilly any time after 7am i wouldnt know if i was coming or going:laughing:

BuggsieMoo
30-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Ive got a parent who has started to drop off every morning early by 15 mins. Always says will pick up early - but is usually late. Ive just started to charge an extra amount a day (as agreed with the parent) for this to happen. Its quite funny now as we all know when LO is going to be here and when they are going to be picked up as it is usually the same time every day - very rarely comes on time or leaves on time. However, im all good to go and I now start earning from the second they get here until they leave - instead of just their contracted hours in between. It used to really annoy me that lo would just arrive early and parents would rush off, now I know im being paid for it then fab x

FussyElmo
30-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys

I have text parent nicely to ask her to check with me before early drop off so im prepared and she text back

"Im so sorry i forgot they started at 8am - i paid last CM for the morning and could drop them off any time after 7am. I wont do it again"

So i text back to say all was ok and was sorted now.:thumbsup:

I must say though I wouldnt fancy having mindees all turning up willy nilly any time after 7am i wouldnt know if i was coming or going:laughing:

All sorted then - a mix up and alls welll :thumbsup:

Mummits
30-04-2012, 10:01 AM
I had a little one turn up early today - I was in the loo! When I answered the door Mum said you look surprised to see us! I was to be honest, though I wasn't totally sure so Tried to look like I wasn't - after she'd gone I checked my email and she'd asked last week to swap today for tomorrow and I agreed. I wonder if she'll get to work and find they are surprised to see her too! Is twenty four hours early a record? Do I get to charge for the extra hours?

kellib
30-04-2012, 10:15 AM
If she'd turned up here 15 minutes early I would have still been drying my hair and not even dressed yet :laughing:

Like you Jill I don't mind doing the early starts as long as I know in advance!

mama2three
30-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Well one of mine was 10 mins early today , i too get dressed after setting up etc - so I opened the door in my dressing gown. I felt awful , was very apologetic , til she left and I noticed it was ten mins before she was even due!

Ali56
30-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm more than happy to be flexible too BUT I do like to know in advance if parents are to be early. My DD also goes to school at 7.45, she has arthritis and so needs help to get herself sorted quite often. It really throws me out if parents arrive before she's gone-I too use the 15 mins to hoover, put out toys, brush my teeth/hair, get dressed or whatever else hasn't been done yet! :D

fluff1975
30-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Being early bugs me too as I'm not a morning person and it always goes to the wire!

I had a parent who started arriving 5 mins early then it crept up. when she came 15 mins early one morning, I said I wasn't ready and as it was cold I wouldn't expect them to get back in the car so they could wait together in the living room until 'I opened' at 8am! That did the trick, and I got an apology!

babs
30-04-2012, 10:43 PM
ok ive got a problem . have littleone 3 days a week 7.30 till 2.30 mum walks to my house hail rain or snow and still turns up at between 7.10 and 7.15( she lives about 20 minute walk away) i do say oh u are early and have been times ive not been dressed also i sent out a letter that worked for bout 2 weeks . thing is say stays till 7.30 so i feel ive wasted 20 minutes doing nothing as feel i cant as have to talk to her. i know it gives us a chance to catch up as mum dont pick up nan does but at moment its driving me crazy when i spoke to her she said little one drives her crazy as once dressed keeps saying she wants to come here so once they are ready she starts out.. dont even get a cup of tea some morning as once children are here dont make one till they have a nap so could be 1 pm before i get a drink.. so im ranting and highjacking this thread ignore me rant over...:D