PDA

View Full Version : Schools closed for voting

kellib
29-04-2012, 07:38 PM
We have local voting on Thursday so my son's school is closed, well I'm assuming it's closed as it always is for voting but no one has actually told us one way or another yet :rolleyes:

Anyone else's kids get an extra day off? Anyone got loads more mindees for the day? :D

cathtee
29-04-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm luckiy our school doesn't close anymore for voting they moved it to the local community centre, but on teacher training days I have more, tend to go to local soft play centre all ages enjoy it:)

Katiekoo
29-04-2012, 08:37 PM
My dd's school is closed on Thursday too. Quite looking forward to having her at home for the day :)

samb
29-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Oooo yes ours is in community centre too - where ds goes to pre school - better check! Thanks for reminding me!

mr man
29-04-2012, 09:03 PM
our school is closed and i have 6 for the day.
crafts and local park or maybe soft play but its possibly going to be very busy. so not sure waht we are doing but got ideas though

rickysmiths
29-04-2012, 09:04 PM
We vote at the local Community centre. The school nearest to me is used for voting but the school stays open :eek:

mrs_scottydog
29-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Our school is closed too, first time this year as they've changed the polling stations. Hx

Demonjill
29-04-2012, 09:07 PM
My sons school is closed

The other mindees i have that day are at nursery so its still open. So i just have the same day as usual except ive got my own ds :thumbsup: and he helps out with the others:thumbsup:The other primary school in town is still open as it doesnt get used lol

The community ctr is also used thats where we vote!

Ripeberry
29-04-2012, 10:40 PM
My own kids have Thursday and Friday off and then the long weekend. Methinks the teachers wanted a very long weekend by putting two inset days back to back :rolleyes:

kellib
30-04-2012, 06:30 AM
The only extra one I have on Thursday is my son so won't really make a different to me!

Ricky, I can't believe the school stays open. We had a big letter about how unsafe that would be for the pupils etc when some parents complained about it.

lesley
30-04-2012, 11:40 AM
We have Thursday and friday off here too. Our schools always close for the two days. Have two extra Thursday but Friday will be normal.

Lesley

appleblossom
30-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Our school has been a polling station for many years. It never closes for it though.

rickysmiths
30-04-2012, 09:42 PM
The only extra one I have on Thursday is my son so won't really make a different to me!

Ricky, I can't believe the school stays open. We had a big letter about how unsafe that would be for the pupils etc when some parents complained about it.

I know I talked to the head when I was collecting children from the school. They use the Reception class and reception use the hall for the day. I asked where do the staff go to the toilet and she first replied 'in the class room' so i said really they use the child sized toilets? Oh no they use the staff toilets. Ok, these are accessed via the hall where the Reception children are and the Polling Staff are not CRB checked :panic: Never mine the ramifications of the general public around the school.

dh taught in a school years ago that was always open and in the end there was a change of head and the staff and parents complained so they closed.

I don't see why in this day and age we have to use schools. There are so many community halls, church halls and British Legion halls etc I don't see the need to ever close a school.

miffy
01-05-2012, 06:46 AM
One of the two village schools here is always used as a polling station but at least it shuts for the day. Have never heard of schools staying open whilst being used as a polling station :panic:

Miffy xx

samb
01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
One of the two village schools here is always used as a polling station but at least it shuts for the day. Have never heard of schools staying open whilst being used as a polling station :panic:

Miffy xx

I have never heard of this either. I would be pointing out to other parents to try and lobby this decision. I would not feel comfortable about it at all. :panic:

Thanks for bringing it up though op as I checked and yes of course ds's pre school is shut that day!

kellib
01-05-2012, 11:14 AM
I have never heard of this either. I would be pointing out to other parents to try and lobby this decision. I would not feel comfortable about it at all. :panic:

Thanks for bringing it up though op as I checked and yes of course ds's pre school is shut that day!

:thumbsup:

My son's school only told us yesterday that the school is closed, luckily for me I knew they always close for voting but it must be annoying for parents who have no idea to only get 3 days warning!

Stapleton83
01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
We have local voting on Thursday so my son's school is closed, well I'm assuming it's closed as it always is for voting but no one has actually told us one way or another yet :rolleyes:

Anyone else's kids get an extra day off? Anyone got loads more mindees for the day? :D

My DDs school is closed but no extra mindees in fact none at all as their parents have made other arrangements!:clapping:

Tazmin68
01-05-2012, 12:55 PM
My oldest son's school is closed Thursday and Friday as always add teacher training day. Have 3 extra on thursday and 2 extra on friday but darling younger son who attends nursery school full time he is still at school. Wait for the wobbly in the morning!!!

appleblossom
07-05-2012, 12:26 PM

I don't do any school drops/pickups now so wouldn't start any campaign to have it stopped as I don't have any of my own or any mindees there.

My DD was at the school from 1991 to 1997, my DS from 2000 to 2007. The Junior school was a polling station all that time and probably before. The voters use the main entrance by the school office and can only get into the main assembly hall, where voting takes place.

The Juggler
07-05-2012, 01:31 PM

ours stay open. they have a separate studio used for drama/parties/ex-curricular lessons and use this for the voting.