PDA

View Full Version : Witches not being real activities?

singlewiththree
29-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I have a 3yr old girl who is waking at night because she thinks witches are coming to get her, we have done lots of fairy stories in the past and explained they aren't real. I have a feeling she is watching inappropriately aged TV as she has two older siblings and talks about playing vampire child, her mum also put on FB that they all watched the hulk together :panic:

Can anyone recommend any good books, games, activities I can do with her please?

It doesn't help because I told mum that I have been telling they aren't real, mum said, "well I've told her that too, but if a witch did come and get her they can take her away!" :panic:

Mouse
29-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh, poor little mite. No wonder she's terrified :(

samb
29-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Erm... well witches are real?! I would be very careful about any sort of teaching children about religions/cultural beliefs etc without looking into it more thoroughly. There are white witches who are meant to use witchcraft for good and then black witches who put curses on things/people. Not that I know much but I can't imagine you will find activities for teaching children that witches are not real. They are not green ladies with warts on their noses that wear black and fly on broomsticks but to be honest you might scare a child more by telling them that witches look the same as you and me?! Maybe concentrate more on the fairy tales are just stories side of things? Or look into it more and then decide what to say? Good luck!

Bridey
29-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Wouldn't it be better to avoid the subject of witches altogether and find other things to occupy her mind?

blue bear
29-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Could you make a special magic powder (glitter) to sprinkle by the bed at night, it's so magic that witches cannot come in once it's sprinkled and keeps you safe while you sleep.
You'd need to get mum in board to make this effective.

miffy
29-04-2012, 09:55 PM
It doesn't help because I told mum that I have been telling they aren't real, mum said, "well I've told her that too, but if a witch did come and get her they can take her away!" :panic:

What an awful thing for mum to say to her - no wonder she's petrified.

I can only think of Room on the broom but that might not be appropriate. Maybe it would be better to avoid the subject especially as you're not getting much back up from mum either.

Miffy xx

Helen79
30-04-2012, 08:46 AM
dd is scared of witches and asked me to take all of her stories out of her bedroom that had witches in, like snow white. She still likes to read them but we keep them downstairs as she was scared that hey would come out of the books at night. It seems to have helped her.
I've tried the magic powder with her but not sure it worked as 1 minute I'm telling he that witches aren't real and then I'm telling her that the powder will keep them away which confused her.

I wouldn't do any activities about it, just talk to her about it if she mentions it but avoid it if she doesn't. I'm scared of worms (well not scared but don't like them and I've had nightmares about them in the past :blush:) I wouldn't like to be doing fun craft activities or reading stories about them to get me used to them.

Bridey
30-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't do any activities about it, just talk to her about it if she mentions it but avoid it if she doesn't. I'm scared of worms (well not scared but don't like them and I've had nightmares about them in the past :blush:) I wouldn't like to be doing fun craft activities or reading stories about them to get me used to them.

Exactly - I can't even look at pictures of spiders!! :rolleyes: