PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a child with tonsilitis???

berkschick
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Following on from my thread about Mindee being taken to hosp, Mum has just called and she has a severe case of tonsilitis.

Mum has asked if I will still take M tomorrow. The doc has said that she would of been infectious last week anyway so the kids have already been exposed to the germs. But..

A, Today she couldnt breathe as her throat was closed up so much, I dont want to have to deal with that tomorrow :panic:

B, G was not here last week so has not been exposed to it and I feel it is unfair for me to expose her tomorrow.

What would you do? Mum is calling me back in a bit!

littletreasures
02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I would say she has to have 24 hours of antibiotics (36 if you can get a way with it) before you have her back. That way the antibiotics would have started to work when you have her back on Wednesday so hopefully her throat won't be so bad.

Good luck

littletreasures

Trouble
02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
no as she must feel bad so she should be at home

just say no

sorry im not bossy really but its not fair on you to look after a sick child and its your right to say no

berkschick
02-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I only have her Tuesday and Thursday so if I say no tomorrow she will have 48 hours antibiotics by the time I next have her which is much fairer to everyone.

Pipsqueak
02-06-2008, 07:08 PM
No I would tell the parents the child needs to be at home for at least another 48 hours with some anti-b's pumped in.

If she was that bad it caused breathing problems then the kid needs to be at home in familiar surroundings with mum/dad.
Its not fair on you or the other lo's your care for either.

Trouble
02-06-2008, 07:08 PM
thats better but i would say well see how it goes for thursday if shes not right i will be sending her home

Trouble
02-06-2008, 07:10 PM
HANDS UP how many of us parents would leave our children with tosilitus?????

parents make me cross:angry:

berkschick
02-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I wouldnt dream of it!

Particularly given the fact they have just spent 6 hours in casualty :angry:

Its a no for tomorrow, I am not going to risk it! If I get it I will have to shut and then I will loose money.

Trouble
02-06-2008, 07:13 PM
i think your doing the right thing:thumbsup:

p.s. sorry i was bossy

Jinx
02-06-2008, 07:14 PM
My daughter had a severe case of tonsilitis in March and I wouldn't let her out of my sight for fear of this happening, and she's 15! Turned out she had glandular fever! Antibiotics don't always work with tonsilitis either, depends if it viral or bacterial. (They didn't help my daughter at all!)
I would do as the others have said and say no for tomorrow and wait and see for Thursday.

What a worry. :panic:

jinx x

Blaze
02-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I agree a BIG NO for tomorrow & have her back on Thurs! :)

emler
02-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I agree with everyone - I would tell them Thursday too. Can't believe the parents are even thinking about sending the little one to you tomorrow!

Emler x

breezy
02-06-2008, 08:26 PM
NO WAY, cant believe the parents would ask after all the poor little things been through today, kids need their mums more when they're ill. :angry:

Rubybubbles
02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
:mad: can't belive they want to send her after the fright they had today

fionamal
02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Some parents really make you wonder.

I would say no to tomorrow and Thursday to give the child a chance to get better and get over the infection and save spreading it even more

berkschick
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Mum was meant to ring me when she got in but she didnt.

I was halfway through a text to her when I got a text from her saying they had decided it is better if Dad takes the day off to be home with M.

Hubby thinks it was a money thing. If I said I couldnt take her then I might feel I had to refund but if they make the decision then I wont feel like I have to refund.

But money or no money, she is better off at home with her Dad tomorrow.

Trouble
02-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Mum was meant to ring me when she got in but she didnt.

I was halfway through a text to her when I got a text from her saying they had decided it is better if Dad takes the day off to be home with M.

Hubby thinks it was a money thing. If I said I couldnt take her then I might feel I had to refund but if they make the decision then I wont feel like I have to refund.

But money or no money, she is better off at home with her Dad tomorrow.

if a childs not well theirs no refund as you are their willing to work its their child who ill

Banana
02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
nope i wouldnt take the child.

likewise i wouldnt leave my child with a childminder if they were ill

x

JazzyL
02-06-2008, 09:00 PM
what a relief for you, berkschick, hopefully the little one will be feeling better when she does come to you. :)

tulip0803
02-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I agree with everyone - if a child is ill they need to be at home with their parents. Particularly if it was bad enough to be taken to hospital the previous day.

I would have refused to have her until Thursday but no refunds in money if the child is ill.

LittleAcorns
02-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Im shocked that the poor little girl couldnt breath and rushed to hospital, and parents wanted you take care of her so soon judging by how poorly she was and still could be !! Of course you'd be fine, but what if the same happened again tomorrow?

oakie dokie
03-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Hi, i agree what everyone has said, how can you go about your daily tasks and take a quite oviously poorly child with you? not possible! you could of planned to go out, the child will be tired week and achy. My daughter is physically sick with tonsillitus because it affects the glands in your tummy, she was sick for over a week the first time then 3 days.

hazelx
ps its good to be back!