PDA

View Full Version : avoiding retainer fee?

lucyD
28-04-2012, 09:33 AM
New to childminding & only got one mindee lined up but not starting until Nov. Had enquiries & they often dont get back to me although they seem keen...Have just had a thought-do some mums leave it until the last minute to avoid paying a retainer fee? Its risky as then may not have space but just wondering what you all think. please tell me it gets busier with enquiries over the summer....please lol

appleblossom
28-04-2012, 09:43 AM
I've never charged a retainer as I think it does put people off. I know in my area I wouldn't get away with it now as CM have places available as lots of people are out of work.

If someone wants place several months in th future I charge a deposit equivalent to 4 weeks fees. Then when they start it pays for the first 4 weeks fees covering the settling in period. The deposit is non refundable if they either don't start or leave during the first 4 weeks. I would however refund the unused portion if I ended the arrangement during the settling in period.

Some CM keep the deposit until the end of the contract when it goes towards the four weeks notice period.

If you have a parent who is reluctant to pay either a retainer or deposit you could keep their contact details and say you will contact thm if another parent wishes to take the space; you are then giving them the option to pay the retainer for the reduced length of time or pay a deposit to secure the place.