PDA

View Full Version : Can childminders register as each others assistants to help?

singlewiththree
28-04-2012, 06:52 AM
OK, this is a bit longwinded.

Me and another childminder regularly work together, now is it worthwhile us being each others assistants. What I thinking of is a scenario we had.

I had a baby and 2 3x year olds
other minder had 1 child.

My 3yr olds needed the toilet on way to train station, minders house is near to the station.

What happened was: I got to minders house, we all got out, took girls to toilet, we all got back in car and drove to station.

What we wanted to do was: Minder goes to her house I let out the 3 year olds she takes them to the toilet, I go on to station, buy tickets and she then brings 3 year olds.

IS this possible if we were each others assistants or if we got parents to sign to say we work together? As long as we are in our own numbers surley its a possibility?

rickysmiths
28-04-2012, 09:06 AM
I have written into my permissions that a child may be looked after for a short period for example when I go to the toilet or need to take one of the minded children. If you are both registered childminders and you have the parents permission then you are covered.

sarah707
28-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I think it's one for Ofsted! :D

rickysmiths
28-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Ofsted were happy enough with it when I was inspected last Sept that they commented and said what a good idea to get permission. :thumbsup:

Penny1959
29-04-2012, 06:49 AM
My daughter who is a registered childminder is registered as my co minder - and me hers - at Ofsteds suggestion.

This means we mainly work in our own homes (different but nearby towns) BUT if either of us have an overlap and the other a space we can help each other , we can leave different combinations of children with each of us both when out or when in each others settings to meet the needs of the children - as long as maintain ratio's when alone or together.

Of course all parents signed permission forms for this.

I know of a couple of childminders who have same arrangement with colleagues.

But of course you do have to inform Ofsted and have certificates changed.

Penny :)

Chimps Childminding
29-04-2012, 09:01 AM
My daughter who is a registered childminder is registered as my co minder - and me hers - at Ofsteds suggestion.

This means we mainly work in our own homes (different but nearby towns) BUT if either of us have an overlap and the other a space we can help each other, we can leave different combinations of children with each of us both when out or when in each others settings to meet the needs of the children - as long as maintain ratio's when alone or together.

Of course all parents signed permission forms for this.

I know of a couple of childminders who have same arrangement with colleagues.

But of course you do have to inform Ofsted and have certificates changed.

Penny :)

Very similar to June and I (except we live next door) All parents have signed permission sheets to allow either of us to look after their children (within numbers of course) so for example if June only has 2 littlies on a day I am due to do school pick up, she could hang on to 1 of mine and I would pick up her schoolies with mine! Or if one of us has to make an unplanned doctors appointment the other can have all the mindees (again depending on numbers)

We are lucky in a way that at the moment neither of us is full every day so it works quite well, especially when the weather is as lovely as it is at present , it means I don't have to drag all my littlies down to school (particularly as we never planned to do school run, we have always had a school bus, but the County Council dropped the service due to cut backs :angry:)!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
29-04-2012, 02:18 PM
I have been through this and it was a long winded painful process

To do what you are saying on paper you have to be co-minders and both are responsible for all the children in your and her care, if something goes wrong it is on both of your records.

I work with other minders and we have in our consent forms "can be left with x and x for short periods of time"

Ofsted have seen my consent form and were happy with it.