PDA

View Full Version : door frame bouncers still ok?

jadavi
27-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I have a graco bouncer jumper in good nick and we want to start it with a 5 month baby.
Parent also keen and has one and child loves it.

We vaguelly remembered that these door hanging bouncers had some controversy a while ago.

Are they considered Ok now?

It goes without saying that she'll never be left in it unsupervised...

ajs
27-04-2012, 06:40 PM
will watch with interest as i have a 4 month old that would probably love to go in one of these soon

buzzy bee
27-04-2012, 06:41 PM
My HV told me (2 years ago) not to leave DS in one for more than 20 mins a day.

She said it was to do with them being on tippy toes, and not as good for them as tummy time / using a walker because it doesn't actually encourage them to do anything - ie walk / crawl etc.

That is my understanding but I think you can basically use your discretion about these things.

I didn't use it loads with DS but he did love it and it was very handy when I was cooking etc he would be bouncing in the doorway. I would definitely use one again and would use it for a mindee if parents wanted me to. I'd definitely get written permission from them though - just to cover yourself! :rolleyes:

fluff1975
27-04-2012, 06:55 PM
My HV told me (2 years ago) not to leave DS in one for more than 20 mins a day.

She said it was to do with them being on tippy toes, and not as good for them as tummy time / using a walker because it doesn't actually encourage them to do anything - ie walk / crawl etc.

That is my understanding but I think you can basically use your discretion about these things.

I didn't use it loads with DS but he did love it and it was very handy when I was cooking etc he would be bouncing in the doorway. I would definitely use one again and would use it for a mindee if parents wanted me to. I'd definitely get written permission from them though - just to cover yourself! :rolleyes:

I'd wondered about this too but decided not to use one in the end and put mindee in a wrap sling instead. Re: the toes, the one I had (Lindam I think) said to make sure their feet were only just off being flat ie not on tip-toes. Neither of my own children liked it, they just used to hang there!

mindingmummy
27-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I have to say when my little girl was a baby i really didn't like to look of them. A couple of my friends had them and the kids just looked like they were 'hanging' there. I didn't like the way it held their hips and legs.

~Grasshopper~
27-04-2012, 08:30 PM
my ds2 used to bang his head of the door frame. i was a nervous wreck, so hardly used it. i guess its up to you but i dont think i would put a mindee in one.

xx

nikki thomson
27-04-2012, 08:46 PM
My own children had them, tbh I found putting them in it an absolute nightmare but once they were in they did all love it but I do believe like another post said it should only be for short periods of time, mine were never in there's for longer than 15mins tops.
I didn't use them often as I said it was abit of a pain getting them in but they really did enjoy it. X