PDA

View Full Version : Amber Teething Necklace

littletreasures
27-04-2012, 05:59 PM
I have a new baby started with me last week. He's 9 months and comes 3 days a week.

Monday he screamed all day, Wednesday it continued until Mum collected at 2pm due to a temperature and I didn't have him Thursday.

This week he has still continued to cry until he wears himself out and sleeps in the afternoon for a bit. I can manage to get some food in him at lunch time through the tears, but he won't take any fluids really.

He had an ear infection last week and is on antibiotics. We also think he is teething (he has 4 teeth already). Mum said he really suffered when his other ones came through.

Does anyone know about these amber teething necklaces? How do they work and do they work?

I don't want to give up with him, so need some sort of plan to see if he gets better.

singingcactus
27-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I love baltic amber. I wear a LOT of it for my arthritis, as does another friend of mine, and it makes a huge difference to both of us. We got ours from here All Things Amber (https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Things-Amber/185352094868892) And her main website is here (http://allthingsamber.yolasite.com/) the first link being her facebook page.
There is lots of info on there. I do recommend it, in fact I am just about to get another necklace for my friends baby.

fluff1975
27-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I bought one of these for my own daughter after her dribbling caused a fungal infection on her chest & tummy :eek: It was the best £10 I've ever spent, worked a treat and despite her initially wanting to take it off all the time, after a day or two she forgot about it.

I don't know what it is that 'works', but for her it did!

bec123
27-04-2012, 08:01 PM
My daughter wears one and we keep it on 24/7 - it does work and she's not suffered with her teeth since she started wearing it. My mum wasn't overly keen on her wearing one as she was worried about her strangling herself but the necklace will break under pressure but not into a zillion pieces. We call them her happy beads as she is lovely when she wears them - as soon as we take them off she turns into a little devil ;)
I would def recommend them - best £10 I ever spent x

pinky33
27-04-2012, 10:05 PM
All things Amber (Kelly) is one of my mums :) so I can vouch for her.
I wear two bracelets and my niece (19) wears them for her joint condition and we aware by them. If I have bad period pain I tuck them in the top of my big pants and it takes my pain right away lol.

One of our baby's wears them and got 6 teeth in one week and no crying. So it's worth a try.
I put mine out in the sun once a week as this recharges them.

littletreasures
27-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Interesting.

So should he wear a necklace or bracelet? Does he need to wear it 24/7 or can I just put it on him when he's here? Does it work quickly or does it take some time?

Sorry for all the questions, but his constant crying is getting to me and we're not sure if it's his teeth or separation anxiety.

pinky33
27-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Best worn in the day as I wouldn't use overnight (some people do though), they work pretty quick and a necklace would be better as nearer the scorce of pain, a anklet can be tucked into pj's or sock so can be worn 24/7 so both together would be a good idea :)

JoRoger
27-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Interesting.

So should he wear a necklace or bracelet? Does he need to wear it 24/7 or can I just put it on him when he's here? Does it work quickly or does it take some time?

Sorry for all the questions, but his constant crying is getting to me and we're not sure if it's his teeth or separation anxiety.

My mindee wears his all the time but to be really honest I can't see that they make the slightest bit of difference, and I am one for believing in that sort of 'thing' BUT in this case, comparing him to my own child and other children, he's quite frankly the worst teether I've known; slept terribly at night because of them, cried when eating, constant cold, cough and runny nose...they really didn't make the remotest bit of difference.

If you had horrible toothache would you be satisfied with an amber necklace?!

I'm not dismissing it out of hand, but my experience for the last 8 months of mindee growing his teeth has been the above, so I'd personally not bother.

littletreasures
27-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks Pinky.

I think I'll buy one and try it here then. My daughter can always use it for her period pain if not.

PixiePetal
27-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks Pinky.

I think I'll buy one and try it here then. My daughter can always use it for her period pain if not.

Might get one for my DD too :rolleyes: she really suffers :(

uf353432
28-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I bought one for my 2nd daughter when she was 6 weeks old and she removed it just after she turned 3 when she declared she didn't need it anymore. My daughter wore it 24/7 as a necklace and I never needed to use any teething powders or gels and she was generally very happy and settled.

They work because amber has natural analgesic (sp) properties which when warmed on the skin leach through the skin in small qty's. They are best when they are warm, so thats why most people opt to wear it 24/7. If you plan to only put it on the baby when he is with you, then I would suggest you put it in a pouch and keep it in your trouser pocket before he arrives so that its already warm when you put it on.

I would recommend one

x

littletreasures
28-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I've ordered one from Kelly. Hopefully it will arrive at the beginning of next week and I will try it on baby.

muffins
28-04-2012, 07:11 PM
I personally am not a fan of them or any neckless on younger children or babies, to much of a risk:panic: especially for a minded child!

http://www.cap.je/Home/News/Teething-amber-necklace-risks/

miffy
01-05-2012, 04:44 PM
You might want to see this thread too

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1093493#post1093493

Miffy xx

littletreasures
01-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks for those links.

Interesting reading. Now need to find something else that will help with baby's bad teething.