PDA

View Full Version : 18 monther in a bed for nap???

jadavi
27-04-2012, 05:30 PM
My mindee's mum told me today that she puts her in a toddler bed in the bedroom for her nap.
This is something I'd like to start doing so child can sleep longer and properly in afternoon and I have an upstairs room registered.
trouble is I have a normal bed in there and this child is prone to jumping on the furniture and flying off... and is really into climbing atm.

I do have an on the floor toddler's easibed that you inflate which might do and also an old fashioned wooden drop side cot.

My worry is that she'll climb out of the high cot and hurt herself or that she'll get up from the floor bed and climb on the big bed and fall onto her head...

any ideas? Its my overnighter room so don't want to get rid of big bed....

Chatterbox Childcare
27-04-2012, 05:34 PM
I have two children who are 2 in June. 1 goes to bed the other stays in the travel cot because I wouldn't trust her an inch

Go with your gut feeling and try your spare bed

jadavi
27-04-2012, 05:40 PM
She's so good at climbing I think she'd be out of a travel cot...

Its the grown up bed in the room as a risk that bothers me most. Cant hide it!!

BucksCM
27-04-2012, 06:21 PM
How about a couple of bed guards so that the lo can't climb onto the bed?

jadavi
28-04-2012, 01:26 AM
Can you get bed guards that go right round it even the foot?
Good idea if so!

Milli147
28-04-2012, 06:37 AM
My own 2 slept in full size single beds from 18 months, with no problems. I didn't use bed guards as I just thought it was further to fall if they climbed over. I laid pillows out on the floor next to the bed in case they rolled out and put a pillow sideways on the bed next to them. I only remember them rolling out once or twice and they had a soft landing!
If you are not using the bed could you take the mattress off and stand it in a different room, or lay it on the floor next to the bed if there is room? Then even if she did climb up its very low, no higher than a sofa anyway.

jadavi
28-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks Milli that's a great idea. Put the mattress on the floor - even use it for her sleeping and then surround the bed with pillows.
Good idea but lots of arranging every time after peole use the bed but it gives me a starting point... Wondering about getting a toddler bed.... Anyone recommend this?

Mouse
28-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Is there room to use the inflatable toddler bed downstairs until you can judge how reliable she is at staying in a bed and not climbing out?

From what you say I don't think I'd be happy putting her alone upstairs as there are too many 'what ifs'.

miffy
28-04-2012, 08:09 AM
I'd try her in the bed upstairs with pillows arranged like Milli suggested, use a stair gate on the door and a baby monitor so you can hear what's going on and then see how it goes.

Miffy xx

jadavi
28-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Mouse thanks I see what you mean but no - downstairs is buggies only in my house.
Miffy , yes baby monitor and stair gate of course cheers .
I'll ponder on't

Xx

samb
29-04-2012, 07:26 PM
I have used a cot mattress on the floor since one I look after was 18 months. I put the travel cot up across the easily accessible toy boxes so he can't then access them. Is there anyway you could use your cot mattress on the floor and have the cot frame against the bed for a while to stop climbing?

cathtee
29-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't like the idea of them sleeping upstairs, what if there was a fire? you couldn't get all the los out from up and down stairs, all of mine sleep on the settee if older or buggy if little, they all manage up to 2 hours like this so they must be comfy :)