PDA

View Full Version : To be accredited or not?

nipper
26-04-2012, 01:13 PM
One of my parents has just asked about free places for her 3 year old. I was wondering how many of you had become accredited to offer this service and was it worth it in terms of extra work and the like...the child only attends three full days and will be starting school in September 2013.

miffy
26-04-2012, 01:54 PM
I am only just beginning the process and doing so because one local playgroup has closed and the other has limited places. The only other options for parents are school or private nursery.

I don't know if it will be worthwhile but I see it as something else I can offer parents. I also think it depends what criteria your LA put on it and how much they pay (check it out before you decide or you might find yourself worse off).

Miffy xx

QualityCare
26-04-2012, 02:38 PM
I am in the process of being accredited, in our area we have to be at level 3, be good or outstanding and doing a Quality Assurance scheme there is no extra paper work and we do nothing extra to what we do now.

rosebud
26-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm accredited, but the process has changed since i became accredited and the criteria and process varies between areas so I won't comment on that. I can tell you though that once you are accredited it is no extra work. I fill in a form for the financial side of things once a term to say how many children are funded and I am paid 60% near the beginning of the term and 40% at the end. Because we have to implement the EYFS for all the under 5's anyway and because I maintain a learning journey for each of them there is no extra work.

blue bear
26-04-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd contact your la, see how long it takes to become accredited and if it's going to be feasible to get accredited in time for this lo.
Once the training is comeplete, as rosebud the work is no different to any other child in your care under eyfs.

butterfly
26-04-2012, 07:15 PM
The other consideration you need to think about is the price you will be paid for children using their funded hours with you. In my area there is a huge difference (nearly a pound) between my LA pay me and what I charge normally. You are not allowed to ask parents to 'top-up' fees so I do lose out on my hourly rate.

mushpea
26-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I have been accredited for the last 3yrs, I fill out a form acouple of times a term for how many hours funding they will claim and the names tetc of the children involved, then I do one big observation a week so not much more work,, for me its over a pound more than what my hourly rate is but you dont get paid weekly or monthly but twice termly, 50% at the begining and 50% at the end. you have to pay hours back if they decide to take them elsewhere and they base your payments on last terms children which is fine if the numbers claiming stays the same but for me I had 2 children last term and only 1 child this term so I could have had an over payment had I not have let them know in advance to remove one child.
The only problem I have ever had is now and thats because one of my parents is due to move and so couldnt decide wether to accept the funding and how many hours to take with me,, I dont want them to pay me for hours she will use elswhere then me have to pay the money back , this problem has now been solved but it was a bit stressy.

overall I have been pleased with the whole process and glad I did it as it is more money and as I am useless at saving money it has been handy having two lump sums a term however if this money is used to pay regular bills you may find it difficult to budget for at first. I just discount the money and accept it as a kind of bonus when it does come in.