PDA

View Full Version : Child with a hole in thier heart

vpuffle
26-04-2012, 10:28 AM
What do I need to keep in mind when looking after a child with a hole in his heart? Has anyone else got any experience of caring/minding a child with that condition? I need to know what I'm getting myself into!

QualityCare
26-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Depends on how serious it is and what Drs have said and what her parents want you to do they may be very anxious and want you to monitor her more than is probably necessary, l had a 10 month old with one and didn't have to do or look for anything special parents were very laid back about it as they had been told it would close by itself as she grew, she had regular scans and was discharged from hosp before she was 2yrs. Chat with parents about what her drs have said and what they want and how they feel.

Bridey
26-04-2012, 11:35 AM
The best thing would be to talk to the parents about this. You're aren't going to look silly not knowing - I'm sure your interest and questions would reassure them that you will be giving their child all the care and attention she needs.

Penny1959
26-04-2012, 11:44 AM
I looked after a child with 2 holes in his hert - one small and one larger.

I had to watch that he did not overdo things - but not stop him from trying anything.

The main thing (and this was a long time ago so may have changed) - I had to ensure his medical details were with me all the time in case of car accident or similar because in his case special precautions had to be taken if he needed to have a operartion or similar

Penny :)

diamond
26-04-2012, 12:37 PM
My daughter had a hole in the heart. We only found out about it when we went for a hospital appointment regarding something else. Quite worrying but it didn't affect her life in any way and had closed up by the time she started school.