PDA

View Full Version : Side by side or tandem??

stargazer1
26-04-2012, 07:31 AM
I have bought a Graco Stadium Duo from ebay. Seems to do the job but heavy. Have now been offered from a friend a Mothercare three wheeler side by side very cheap. Worried that a side by side won't fit through doors? Hmmmmmm.

mrs robbie williams
26-04-2012, 07:34 AM
i had a lovely 3 wheel mountain buggy side by side but it was soooo heavy plus wouldnt fit through front door !!! sold that and now have maclaren side by side stroller - just fits through door.I prefer side by sides as always think the one at the back of tandem loses out lol

mama2three
26-04-2012, 07:35 AM
The mothercare one is very wide! i spent ages looking for a tandem , decided on a powertwin then hated it! Yes it went through doors but was less comfortable for the children , difficult to push ( kept veering off to the side) , heavy to lift...
back to my side by side ! Look out for a nipper if you can , light and manoeverable , fairly narrow ...

jumping j
26-04-2012, 07:39 AM
I have a mothercare double (front and back) that is easy to push, fits through doors but it's difficult to get up our step into the house and the double length is difficult to negotiate round corners sometimes, it's also on it's last legs :laughing:
I also have a graco double (side by side), doesn't fit through doors easily but much more useful on the school run coz I can fit a buggy board on the back and it's easy to get round corners
Was going to get rid of one but I'm not sure which one :laughing:

Nikki125
26-04-2012, 08:25 AM
I have tried many different doubles and they are all bl***y hard work weather side by side or tandam. They are all heavy with toddlers in and they all have different pros and cons. I dont think there is any 'easy' option where a double with 2 toddlers in, and 2 hanging on the side, is concerned.

lollipop kid
26-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Go with what will fit through your front door easily (as if it's raining, having to take kids out of a double in the rain, then transport them inside, then go back for the buggy, is not fun!) I live in an old house and can't get a side-by-side in my front door, so had to go with a tandem, which the kids love. Seat is higher at the back than the front, so child in back (usually bigger one) doesn't lose out. It is a big heavy to push, and I have to bring it back into the house backwards, but you get used to it. It folds up and stands on its own safely in my hallway, tucked in a corner, so another bonus. (I found a newly-bought, side-by-side McLaren really awkward to push - I had to bend forwards in a funny way; I'm 5 foot 4, so might work better if you're taller, so gave up after 3 uses!) Plus, schoolies can walk beside my tandem, holding on, without us taking up the whole kerb, so feels much safer. And finally, I can strap on a folding 'side car' ("Buggypod") if I need to accommodate 3 little ones. Works brilliantly for me, as I don't have a car, so do everything on foot. My tandem is an American one "Universal Express Rider", which I was given, and I wouldn't part with it. Think "Safety First" one is very similar.

Little Pickles
26-04-2012, 10:33 AM
I have the Nipper 360 and its wonderful ! Its light to push and fits through most doorways etc.
I would advise that getting any buggy with tyres that you get ' slime ' put into the tyres that prevent them going flat if they get punctures - after having to push mine back with 2 two year olds alseep with a puncture for a mile and half was a nightmare :mad: The only thing that kept me going was thinking about how many extra calories I was burning off!!!!!

miffy
26-04-2012, 09:03 PM
I have the nipper 360 too and I love it. I did test drive a Jane power twin and didn't like it at all.

Miffy xx

Mummits
27-04-2012, 05:31 AM
I had Jane Powerwin for walking and a Maclaren umbrellafold one for keeping in the car. I loved the Jane and found it easy to push and great for all terrain but it was hard work to fold and lift into the car. The Maclaren is smaller and lighter but I wouldn't want to push it far; the wheels are so small and get clogged up with grass and twigs etc if you go off the path. I don't think I could have chosen just one buggy for all uses. I've now got a big all terrain triple and a folder for the car boot.

funemnx
27-04-2012, 06:49 AM
I've got the Graco Stad duo tandem - it is a bit heavy (better if biggest child is at the back). The larger wheels help, I've used my buggypod with it which saved buying a triple. I prefer the tandem to my side by side umbrella buggy, which I just keep in the boot for when we're out somewhere.