PDA

View Full Version : HELP!

Mgoudie
25-04-2012, 07:19 PM
So I've been registered quite a few months now (although only just started having mindee's) and even though I feel I'm a good childminder, I look after the children like they're my own, meet the parents needs to a high standard. I haven't a clue what I'm doing regarding 'paperwork' observations etc I feel I've been given very little training and maybe registered a little too quick. I want to know everything I need to know and be the best I can be but don't have the knowledge, resources etc to do so. I've even thought about giving it up as don't feel I'm going to meet ofsted's standards when I have my inspection.

Every post I read on here everyone is so knowledgable about child minding and I feel like I know nothing...

Really I'm asking for massive help, I need to get everything in to place, any advice, knowledge, tips, recommendations...ANYTHING anyone can give would be fantastic, ideally I'd like a outstanding from my inspection when it comes but I'm a realist so I'm not asking for a miracle haha

I've made a start by ordering a journal and attendance register from NCMA and also ordered one of the ladies off here's e-book...

Thanks in advance ladies xx

got-it girls
25-04-2012, 07:30 PM
So I've been registered quite a few months now (although only just started having mindee's) and even though I feel I'm a good childminder, I look after the children like they're my own, meet the parents needs to a high standard. I haven't a clue what I'm doing regarding 'paperwork' observations etc I feel I've been given very little training and maybe registered a little too quick. I want to know everything I need to know and be the best I can be but don't have the knowledge, resources etc to do so. I've even thought about giving it up as don't feel I'm going to meet ofsted's standards when I have my inspection.

Every post I read on here everyone is so knowledgable about child minding and I feel like I know nothing...

Really I'm asking for massive help, I need to get everything in to place, any advice, knowledge, tips, recommendations...ANYTHING anyone can give would be fantastic, ideally I'd like a outstanding from my inspection when it comes but I'm a realist so I'm not asking for a miracle haha

I've made a start by ordering a journal and attendance register from NCMA and also ordered one of the ladies off here's e-book...

Thanks in advance ladies xx

Hunni
we all had to start somewhere there is a load of info on here and friendly people willing to offer advice....shame the training side of things isn't what it could be......just meeting the required paperwork sadly is not really enough if you are aiming high there is a whole lot more to it....but it doesn't have to be over the top costly......x the ebooks here are awesome and knowing the lady who writes them I assure you they are the very best xx

green4lynn
25-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Hi there, it sounds like you are a lot like me, doing the job of substitute mother, not teacher! I hate the whole idea of doing observations and having to record everything the kids do. I childmind because I love children and love having an extended "family". I do the minimum paperwork, take lots of photos and do general observations, but most of all I have fun with the children. We go out and about, learn through play, get messy, go to groups for social interaction and to play with new toys, and I am very happy with how the children are growing and developing. Parents choose childminders because they want a home-from-home setting, and that is what I offer. I don't do lots of planning, I didn't with my own children so don't see the point. We just do whatever feels right depending on the time of year, the childrens interests and what mood we are in!
I've had no complaints, quite the opposite in fact, and am full!

Good luck with your business, hope you get a handle on the paperwork! I use Nobleminder for mine, you can try them for a month for free. I find it easy to use and fairly pain free!

Lynn x

Milli147
25-04-2012, 08:40 PM
I am like you too, my mindees are like extended family, so I keep the paperwork down as much as possible.

I got Individual Child Record charts from Early Years and use them as dividers in a ring binder.

When a new child starts I get parent to just tick the things they feel their child is already doing. This gives me a starting point so I know what sort of toys and activities to provide initially.

After about 6 weeks when the child is settled and I have got to know them I go through and check that I have seen the things parent has ticked, and then look at the next stages on the chart. These will be the next steps.

I write these up on a sheet I call Individual Planning, I do this once a term.
I might tailor activities to help child achieve these next steps, or sometimes they just do it. When I see it, it gets dated and highlighted on the chart, and a photo record and short description goes on an obs sheet which I put in the relevant section.

I do 2 next steps per area of development so that is 12 planned obs per term. The rest just gets highlighted and dated at the end if child does it, if not it will stand out and will go down as next terms goal.

It might sound like a lot when its written down but I promise its not too bad. I might not do as much as some but Mrs O was happy, parents are happy, and most importantly the children are happy, and have lots of fun without realising why we might be doing a specific thing - or why I grab the camera when they climb some steps!

It is as simple as knowing what they can do, what the next step is, and how you can help them achieve that. Ofsted only want to see some proof that this is how you are thinking.