PDA

View Full Version : Does age/not having children of your own put parents off?

Kirsty90
25-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Exactly what the title says really.

I dont have any children of my own and I am fairly young (21). Do you think this puts parents off?

I've only been minding since February and currently have 3 children on my books. I think I am a good childminder and recently had a visit from my DO and she said it was one of the best first visits she has ever done with regards to my paperwork/learning journeys etc. I also recently sent out questionnaires to the parents I currently have as I'm due my inspection soon and they seem more than happy with the care their children are getting.

I've sent out a lot of messages on childcare.co.uk and have not had many replies. Do you think it could be because of my age/me not having my own children?

Thanks

Kirsty x

toddlers896
25-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi Kirsty,

I dont have any children and I dont think its putting potential parents off me. The ones that have enquired have taken up my services, i just think its really quiet at the moment and also its getting your name know. I think if you have children its easier to get yourself known at the local schools, I put my details on childcare.co.uk and have had 3 enquiries in the last month.
Good luck
Tracy x

jumping j
25-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I don't have my own children either and it hasn't put anyone off so far.
It's taken me a year but I'm just about full now.
Going to childminder groups and playgroups got my name about and I found a group of childminders who are happy to pass names and numbers on if they're full or not interested in the business.
I advertise on childcare.co.uk too and for all the messages I've sent out (40 or 50) I've only had about 10 reply and of them only 2 have visited and taken up a space
A lot of my business has been through word of mouth

Monkey26
25-04-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't have children of my own, am 25 have been doing this 5.5 years oh and i am in a same sex relationship. With all of this... i am full and now employ an assistant :D it takes time to get your name known so don't worry too much xx
Ps I've never had a child come to me through childcare.co.uk despite sending messages to people

Bushpig
26-04-2012, 08:49 AM
I have no kids... (although am a big kid at the best of times :laughing:), never seen it as a minus myself.. I am always full.. mostly word of mouth... 2 have come through childcare.co.uk in the past couple years advertising with them.

Nikki125
26-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I dont have my own kids and im 32 (i spose i better get a wriggle on). The impression i get from my parents is that they see me as giving all my attention to their children rather than to my own aswell. I think it has been a plus to me in starting up.

kellib
26-04-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't think age puts people off, I'm 26 and all my parents are a good 10-15 years older than me, they haven't mentioned my age at all! I do have my own 6 year old son but I thought being a young Mum would put people off me!