PDA

View Full Version : registering an assistant.

sharonmanc
25-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I want to add my daughter as my assistant, called ofsted today and told them that i dont want to increase numbers etc, just to have her there to help out. she is already registered as a suitable person on my premisise has done form EY2 - however they sent me this form

"Application to vary or remove conditions of registration – Childminder
Request to change numbers when working with an assistant or co-childminder"

is this the right form as it seems that it is more about increasing numbers which i dont want, my daughter is 16 and so will not be co minding, just helping during holidays etc

too late to all them now, but not sure if this is the correct form any help appreciated

Sharon

pillows
25-04-2012, 06:38 PM
on Monday I called Ofsted re registering my 17yr old son as an assistant (but I do already have an increase in my numbers )

Like yourself he had already been crb checked for the premises, and they registered him over the phone .I dd request confirmation by email and they emailed me confirmation .

so I would think if you do not need an increase in your numbers then call them tomorrow and ask the same.

Please take into consideration that if you would like to take advantage of having an extra pair of hands and possibly need her to stay in the garden if e.g you are preparing lunch or if you have some asleep in house and you want her to look after children in house / garden and you are not in the same area then it would be expected of her to have her paed first aid as she will be classed to being left unattended.

Also out of good practice I would get her to complete an e - learning safeguarding course.

No person that does not have a paed first aid cert should be left unattended with children.

Also the rules are that although an assistant under the age of 18 with a paed cert can be left unattended with the early years age they cannot be left unattended with the 5-8 year olds even with a paed cert. (confused . com) about the age etc but I did phone back and confirm it with someone else and then read it in the manual.

Hope this helps.:)

sarah707
25-04-2012, 06:39 PM
I think you need to ring them tomorrow - it is my understanding that you cannot have a registered assistant under the age of 17...

When I rang to register my dd I was pointed to this in the staffing requirements of the Eyfs -

Staff/volunteers/students under the age of 17 cannot count towards the ratio and should be supervised at all times. Individuals aged 17 and over who are on long-term placements may be included in the ratios if the provider is satisfied they are competent and responsible.

Hth :D

pillows
25-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I think you need to ring them tomorrow - it is my understanding that you cannot have a registered assistant under the age of 17...

When I rang to register my dd I was pointed to this in the staffing requirements of the Eyfs -

Staff/volunteers/students under the age of 17 cannot count towards the ratio and should be supervised at all times. Individuals aged 17 and over who are on long-term placements may be included in the ratios if the provider is satisfied they are competent and responsible.

Hth :D

Sarah this had been my understanding to hence why I didn't start the ball rolling until this wk as my son is 17 today and they told me you can register an assistant from the age of 16 now.. UM .... all those times in the last year when it would have made it easier but I called back and q it with someone else as you know what it's like sometimes -- depends who you speak to and they told me the same.

Well guess we learn something new every day.:)

sharonmanc
25-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Hi sarah, i asked today and the lady checked and siad that it is ok, i know other childminders that have registered their 16 year old as an assistant.
I dont want to increase numbers or leave her unattended with the children, but it would be nice if she can help out, especially during holidays.

Pillows, I will see if they will do this. Maybe they have and i have not understood correctly, as she was asking if i wanted to increase numbers and i said i was not sure and she emailed me the form. Will check tomorrow, thanks