PDA

View Full Version : not sure this job is for me anymore :-(

lulubelle
25-04-2012, 05:03 PM
i had my first inspection yesterday which went pretty well but i am basically fed up, i collect from 3 different schools which is a nightmare, i am constantly getting all the kids in and out of the car, i also do a nursery run at 6pm some days. it is basically 1 mum/child that is making me feel like giving up (his school is 5 miles away each way) mum wants him to go to more after school clubs which means getting all the kids home and then going out again about 30 mins later, i know i have prob made my life akward by taking this all on but at the time their was next to no work around. i was looking at my books earlier and after fuel/food/expenses etc i am earning about £1.30 an hour!!!

the prob is i have my own 1 and 3 yr olds and my husbands days/shifts change every week so really this is the only job i could do because nothing fits in with his shifts (he works between 6am and 11pm any day of the week including weekends! i just feel like i am not enjoying my own boys anymore!

buzzy bee
25-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Big hugs.

It does sound like you're doing a lot. Could you maybe give notice to the one family you mentioned, and see if you feel better after that?

Or maybe pick one of the schools and give notice to the children at the other schools?

I'm sure you'll find more kids to replace them.

As far as the accounts go, with trips etc you might do those things anyway with your own 2, petrol you claim more than you actually spend on petrol, and food you probably claim more for than you actually spend. So it's probably not as bad as it looks on paper if you see what I mean.

And lastly, go and pour yourself a large glass of wine and eat some chocolate!

Bridey
25-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I do after-school care and have made it a policy that I do not pick up from after school clubs or activities. The parents have to make arrangements for the children to be delivered to me. However, I live within a minutes walk of the school. However, I would certainly not consider dragging all the mindees back into a car for a 10 mile round trip. I would tell the mum 'no' and, if she doesn't like it, she can find a minder who lives closer.

I also would absolutely not consider collecting a child that has been at nursery all day!! What a cheek!! Why aren't they using you for all the childcare? I wouldn't be happy with that one at all.

i think maybe its time to rethink one or two of your contracts to make your life easier. At the end of the day your happiness, health and family come first. If one mum/child is making you feel you want to give up then give them up!! x

ps: well done on your inspection. GOOD isn't 'did pretty well' its DID BRILLIANTLY!! :clapping:

Chimps Childminding
25-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm with Bridey on this one!! I don't mind doing school pick up, but I won't do after school clubs (luckily the children I have go on the nights they aren't at mine) I have to drive to school and I'm not going out twice loading all the lo's in the car, plus any schoolies I have to go and fetch another child from an after school club!!

I also wouldn't be picking a child up from nursery at 6 pm - what time do you have them till if you are picking up then, and as Bridey said, why aren't they using you all day??

I think you really need to think about dropping some of the running around, at present it sounds like most of the parents are using you as a taxi service and at the end of the day you do the job to earn a living for you, not to make life easier for them!!

Sermon over - sorry :blush::blush:

lulubelle
25-04-2012, 05:29 PM
i am desperatly trying to find work for the school closer to me and the one i hope my sons will attend, that would mean giving notice to 2 of my familys (1 which is lovely and i would love to keep but just not practical) i would love to just be able to walk to school etc! i have sent home newsletters etc saying i wont take on anymore after school clubs (but will still do ones children already attend as i dont think its fair to make them stop) but i am sure this mum thinks i am her sole charge nanny (it is also her younger son that i pick up from nursery) she has asked me to do more collections but i have said the only way i could have him more is if i had him all day or at least all aft!)

where else do you guys find your work? i have a website, add on childcare.co.uk, car magnets, ads in local shops etc

Bridey
25-04-2012, 05:37 PM
this mum thinks i am her sole charge nanny (it is also her younger son that i pick up from nursery) she has asked me to do more collections but i have said the only way i could have him more is if i had him all day or at least all aft!)

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that comment - she is treating you like an employee at her personal beck and call. I just wouldn't work that way. I offer a service and the parents pay me to provide that service. I am not there to run around after them.

nikki thomson
25-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Poor you, no wonder your fed up your in and out like a yo-yo, for a start I wouldn't do the after school activities pick up, mine all know and there's 4 schoolies 2 are mine and 2 siblings (same school) that if they can't all do something on the same day then they don't do it, end off, I'm like you school is a car journey away and by the time I got home I'd be there 20 mins before putting them all back in the car.
Also as I approach 40 this year I have come to the conclusion that there is more to life than money (so if it's not working get rid) and secondly you can't please all of the people all of the time (even when your bending over backwards to be helpful) There are people who will moan, so get rid of them as well.
And as other posts have said get a glass of wine down your neck and chillax. X

lulubelle
25-04-2012, 05:51 PM
but unfortunatly until i can find more work i cant give notice, our tax credits have been cut by £200 a month and we are skint!

before my son was born i was a nanny and loved it, thought i would love childminding but i dont

sillysausage
25-04-2012, 06:06 PM
You definitely deserve a big hug!!! No wonder the job is getting you down. I would be tempted to ask the problem mum if you could have a heart to heart with her. Explain how you set out to be as flexible as possible so that you could meet everyone's needs but that you are finding some of her requests are having a negative effect on the care you are able to offer to your other families (and your own). You want to do your best by everyone but need them to have a degree of flexibility too. Ask her what clubs she would like her son to attend and then see if you could possible integrate similar activities into your provision at home so that he is doing something similar. Remind her that children need to have a rest after a long day at school. She's probably asked you to do all these things without even thinking about the other families you provide care for.
You will undoubtedly find it easier to find mindees from your nearest school when your son finally attends there but in the meantime there are things you can do to try and make things easier. Remember you are self employed and that unlike working as a nanny you have a good deal of freedom in deciding how you run your business. Don't allow yourself to be walked all over!!!

Bridey
25-04-2012, 06:10 PM
but unfortunatly until i can find more work i cant give notice, our tax credits have been cut by £200 a month and we are skint!

before my son was born i was a nanny and loved it, thought i would love childminding but i dont

Would your tax credits increase if you didn't do this particular job.

I can see, having been a nanny, why you have maybe been persuaded to do more than standard childminding requires. To be honest, I wouldn't enjoy working as you are at the moment either but please don't judge the job based on how things are at the moment. It will get better than this but not while you are working with this particular family unless you are prepared to make some changes about what you will and will not do for them.