PDA

View Full Version : Grrr how annoying or is it just me?

Demonjill
25-04-2012, 04:09 PM
I look after 2 kids on a wednesday(as well as my other mindees) they are siblings. The girl 4 is fine and we get on great but i cant take to the boy at all - he is 7 and in my sons class at school.
This seems to be a bit of a prob because they are so excited when they come out of school and excited about playing when they get to my house that they are usually very hyper - well this boy is - my son although no angel takes a telling and does as he is told.
Even though this boy is only here about 1.5 hours after school he drives me mad - he is not cheeky just annoying - asking to go and play upstairs (i dont want to encourage this as its hard to keep eye on them upstairs esp if i have others downstairs ) i have told him this but he re asks evry 10 minutes
Today he just giggled annoyingly at everything even through snack time and i dont want silly nonsense at table with chance of choking and other mindees and my ds behave at table.
,and only plays with something 5 minutes then on to the next thing etc that kind of thing

Eventually it got so silly that i had to split him up from DS and they chose a book each to look at at different ends of room which they did for 10 minutes( no prob for DS as he loves reading)

i then let them play on the Wii and they were perfect doing that.

Do i just let them play the wii the whole time then??

Sorry its long anyone else got this - its my longest 1.5 hours of the week - never so glad to see his mum but then it takes ages to get them all out the door etc:(

miffy
25-04-2012, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't expect to have to keep telling a 7yo that they couldn't go and play upstairs - I can see why it would drive you mad! :rolleyes:

If he misbehaves at snack time then he'd get down from the table and miss his snack.

I can see the temptation to let them play on the wii all the time, have you asked what other things he'd like to do? Maybe it will be better when the weather's nicer and they can run off some energy. :)

Miffy xx

EmmaReed84
25-04-2012, 05:00 PM
:( This 7 year old sounds exactly like my 6 year old. I am so paranoid about people getting annoyed at him. It is so hard reading posts about CM's getting annoyed at children like this because I can just imagine what my friends must think ofmy son :panic:

It is human nature to feel like this so please don't think I am trying to be funny, but perhaps speak to Mum (not about being annoyed, but about mindee being "excitable") Does he have any SEN or is anyone concerned?

Do you know what he likes. My sons loves writing I can give him paper and a pen and he can write for england random factual books about rockets st george, hosepipe ban lol. If you can tap in to this that should help... it doesn't always. As for the Wii I have been known to let the Wii babysit when I need some time to do dinner etc... there are time limits though.

Helen79
25-04-2012, 05:10 PM
If your ds is happy for mindee to play in his bedroom then I'd let them on a trial period maybe on the condition that they can prove to you that you can trust them. Maybe pop a baby monitor upstairs so you can still hear them.
I know you don't really want him upstairs but it'd get him out from under your feet for a while and then the 2 boys can play the games they want to without annoying you.

Bridey
25-04-2012, 05:32 PM
I make it quite clear to my after schoolers that they are not here for a birthday party and this is not a play date. This is childminding and there are rules, like school but nicer ... but still like school! :)

Bridey
25-04-2012, 05:34 PM
If your ds is happy for mindee to play in his bedroom then I'd let them on a trial period maybe on the condition that they can prove to you that you can trust them. Maybe pop a baby monitor upstairs so you can still hear them.
I know you don't really want him upstairs but it'd get him out from under your feet for a while and then the 2 boys can play the games they want to without annoying you.

If a child is misbehaving downstairs in front of me then there is absolutely no way I'd be letting him upstairs unsupervised. This job is not about getting children out from under your feet!

Little Pickles
25-04-2012, 06:25 PM
I am very strict about not having mindees upstairs in my children's room . I feel the need to keep a professional distance , I feel that my children need their own space , they happily share some of their toys but it would cause no end of problems if one of their fav toys was broken be a mindee - that could lead to feelings of resentment . Also I find that whenever children are together they all charge up and down stairs no matter how many time they are told not too and I would never forgive myself if there was an accident.

Helen79
25-04-2012, 07:24 PM
This job is not about getting children out from under your feet!

Sorry I phrased that wrong, I meant that the pestering would stop if the rules were relaxed a bit for the older children. I would view it more as a play date if the 2 children were in the same class together and if both boys are happier to play in the bedroom together then the annoying behaviour may stop.
If I cm'ed one of dd's friends in her class at school I wouldn't even consider not letting them play in her room. They're old enough to play unsupervised, I can imagine if I banned them from upstairs and made them play downstairs with me and the younger children then they probably would get bored and start playing up and annoying me.

Demonjill
25-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies:thumbsup:

have you asked what other things he'd like to do?

Yes An all about me form has been filled in before he started and he told me himself what he likes etc. He likes cars but he only played them last week for about 15 minutes and moved onto something else:(

Does he have any SEN or is anyone concerned?

Nothing has been mentioned although it may be a parenting issue and he is just seeing where my boundaries lie as Mum does not seem to have many when dad works away. Just an observation compared to my parenting thats all.
I have worked with many SEN over years and dont see any links

If im going to be annoyed id rather be annoyed where i can see them:laughing:
If i have any of my babies i cant always run upstairs etc
Then there is the problem of others going in a sulk as to why they cant go upstairs etc
This lad is nosy too and dont want him going through my whole upstairs:eek:

No, although my upstairs is registered the kids rooms are used for sleeping babies in travel cots etc really not for kids jumping about,pulling out loads of toys that belong to my DS (CM toys are seperate) some quite expensive.

This is my job its not my DS having a friend round - im working and i have other kids to look after and things to do downstairs

I think he will settle( once he realises my rules apply )and i was only joking about the wii :D tbh by the time we get home from school and have snack we have one non computer activity and then they can go on the wii or ps3 for the last 40 mins max then its pick up time:thumbsup:

If a child is misbehaving downstairs in front of me then there is absolutely no way I'd be letting him upstairs unsupervised.

This is my feeling - i may change my mind when/if he shows me he can be trusted etc. He really just wants to play playstation upstairs anyway so they should just play the one downstairs !! end of:rolleyes:

amandachildcare
26-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Bridey - I love you answer - concise and to the point. Thats exactly how I am. My daughter is 8, and all the over 8's we childmind (girls) are from her class so they all love playing and do play in her bedroom (which is registered). But they still have to abide by the rules and know it is not a play date.