PDA

View Full Version : Feeling really naffed off!

gemmcd
02-06-2008, 03:15 PM
There is nothing that can be done because I am too weak but a moan will help! Basically one of my mindees mum has just told me that her own mum is going to be here over the whole of July and August and therefore will not need me. The catch is that she is a good friend of the family who is only a student so is broke and the mum is coming to help them save money. Also technically speaking in contract we agreed to them having 4 weeks holiday time where they do not have to pay and me having 4 weeks unpaid holiday time and I am planning to go away in August for 3 weeks. Originally her mum was only coming in August so I had budgeted for getting paid (about £400 in total) for July but nothing in August and that money was to help towards a family holiday but now I will have nothing for July either. She felt bad about telling me and we are going to add on 2 hours for every day in June to try and help me but that only adds up to an extra £50 as they are going away on a family holiday for 1 week in June which I will also not get paid for.

It's the same old story - don't work for a friend! I cannot ask for a retainer or anything as I just can't even though I know I should.

Anyway feeling gutted that I am £400 worse off than I had anticipated!

Gemma

sarah707
02-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Ouch!

Is it worth trying for some extra work part-time?

You could update your CIS availability and ring them to let them know you've got a space... you never know!

Good luck :D

gemmcd
02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Don't think anyone would want me just for a month! trying to look positive - I may well have an ofsted in July and this particular child who won't be here is a the clingy baby I ahve mentioned many a time before - although he is getting better it would be a more relaxed OFSTEd should he not be here!

However if OFSTED are running behind - though I am due in July and not around in August I will probably end up being OFSTED'd in Sept when all children are here causing chaos! Would be just my luck!

Gemma

brillminder
02-06-2008, 03:52 PM
what about advertise a short term for holiday cover & let opther minders know you have a holiday cover space going ? you may find someone who nneds holiday cover :)

chez1373
02-06-2008, 04:35 PM
This is the worrying thing about our jobs we have no secuirty really when parents friends or not say they wont or cant afford to pay us what can we do?

Its hard work i hope you find a part timer until the mindee comes back to you.

angeldelight
03-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Sorry to hear that ... it is a lot of money to do with out now

Hope you get a part timer or maybe someone who wants some temp care over the holidays

Good luck

Angel xxx

christine e
03-06-2008, 08:04 AM
I tend to find that parents need help over the summer holidays. Those who use grandparents for other school holidays sometimes need help just for the summer hols as quite often gparents find this a bit too much. Also agree with others let other childminders know that you are available if they are taking annual hols they may need someone to cover for them.

Spread the word!!!!!

Good luck

Cx:idea:

vix84
03-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Id definatly start advertising for summer holiday care - I know quite a few families who only need childcare for 4 weeks, as the parents are taking a couple of weeks holiday, and then they are stuck for the remaining weeks etc.

This is why I always have in contract that I charge the standard rate for 4 weeks holiday a year, and if parents take holiday/days off/sick days - they also still pay the normal rate. They would if there child was in nursery or with a Nanny etc. and none of my parents have ever questionned it. And if they dont like it, then Im afraid I dont take them on as I cant afford to be out of work for 4 to 8 weeks a year!

Hopefully you can get a couple of school aged children for a few weeks