PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions....

pinkellifun
25-04-2012, 01:47 PM
:confused:Hi

Two questions which I hope you can help with?

First: I was told I needed a thermometer in each room that I was childminding, then when the inspector came for my pre-reg she told me I didn't. I know on page 35 of the Stat. Framework it says that 'rooms should be maintained at a temp which ensures the comfort of the children and staff'. Now to begin with I thought I could just see if I or the mindees were cold or not but now I'm not so sure :(

Second: I was told by the inspector that I should ask Ofsted to get CRB checks done on my parents as they are regular visitors (they don't live with me but come to visit me and my son every day) and it would be a good idea for safeguarding the children, which I agree with. I rang Ofsted and they said because they don't live with me, Ofsted won't do and I have to arrange it myself? :confused:

Help!

jumping j
25-04-2012, 01:54 PM
I got Ofsted to CRB check my mum because she visits regularly and may come on trips if I need an extra pair of hands.

I don't have thermometers in every room, my boiler has a wireless controller that tells in the temp and I just keep that in my living room.
Never been asked about the temp in the house

rickysmiths
25-04-2012, 02:00 PM
:confused:Hi

Two questions which I hope you can help with?

First: I was told I needed a thermometer in each room that I was childminding, then when the inspector came for my pre-reg she told me I didn't. I know on page 35 of the Stat. Framework it says that 'rooms should be maintained at a temp which ensures the comfort of the children and staff'. Now to begin with I thought I could just see if I or the mindees were cold or not but now I'm not so sure :(

Second: I was told by the inspector that I should ask Ofsted to get CRB checks done on my parents as they are regular visitors (they don't live with me but come to visit me and my son every day) and it would be a good idea for safeguarding the children, which I agree with. I rang Ofsted and they said because they don't live with me, Ofsted won't do and I have to arrange it myself? :confused:

Help!

I a word they are wrong and as an individual there is no way you can get a CRB done. it has to be done by an authorized body and for us that is OFSTED. I would ring them again and explain that they are daily visitors and the inspector, give their name has said they should be CRB checked. Get the name of the person you speak to and the day and time.

The temp of each room and keeping staff and children at the right temp is for settings. As long as you home is comfortable for you then it should be ok for the children. I have never had thermometers in every room.

Bridey
25-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Was the pre-reg inspector from Ofsted?? I'm guessing, as you rang Ofsted afterwards, that they are not.

Who on earth are these people going round new potential mindees houses and spouting these rules?

moggy
25-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Was the pre-reg inspector from Ofsted?? I'm guessing, as you rang Ofsted afterwards, that they are not.

Who on earth are these people going round new potential mindees houses and spouting these rules?

'From Ofsted' is not the same as being Ofsted- Ofsted subcontract to agencies who send their agency inspectors to come to you to carry out inspections on behalf of Ofsted, mine was from a company called Tribal.

No need for room thermometers in a regular house- if it feels comfortable it is fine.

pinkellifun
25-04-2012, 05:30 PM

The inspector was from a company called Prospects. I must admit a few things she has said have turned out to be incorrect so I am going to start asking on here before anywhere else from now on! It certainly doesn't help new childminders getting told wrong information, no wonder I'm so confused!

I will ring Ofsted again tomorrow and explain again why it needs doing.

I won't bother buying a thermometer then! One less expense! ;)