PDA

View Full Version : send nappys home?

jellytot
25-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Do any of you send nappys home like playgroups do? Our council are changing our bins. Household waste becoming a small bin lots more recycling bins. I have been thinking if I am putting a weeks worth of nappies x4 into my bin there will be no room for our own rubbish. So I am thinking is this an option?

AliceK
25-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Do any of you send nappys home like playgroups do? Our council are changing our bins. Household waste becoming a small bin lots more recycling bins. I have been thinking if I am putting a weeks worth of nappies x4 into my bin there will be no room for our own rubbish. So I am thinking is this an option?

Our council started this at the beginning of April. I told all parents ages ago that as of April I would be sending nappies home as I had 3 children in nappies and hence that makes a LOT of rubbish every day. However, 2 of those children came back after easter having been potty trained so it isn't an issue any more, but yes, I was going to do just what you said :thumbsup:

xxxx

silvermist
25-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Hi I dont send nappies home but, if our council started this I would have to consider it. x

singlewiththree
25-04-2012, 01:13 PM
If you walk to school take them under the buggy and put in local council bins :-)

flowerpots
25-04-2012, 01:15 PM
If you walk to school take them under the buggy and put in local council bins :-)

Id be tempted to do this too. :thumbsup:

*Katrina*
25-04-2012, 01:16 PM

What a great idea! I pass two bins on my walk to school, my bin is full enough with DD nappies let alone when I'm working if I have another one or two in nappies. :thumbsup:

nikki thomson
25-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Here in Wiltshire if you ring the council and tell them your a cm they give you a bigger bin for free and it's collected like all the other general waste. It's the same if you have 3 or more children of your own.
I don't have a bigger bin myself bug I know cm who do. X

AliceK
25-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Here in Wiltshire if you ring the council and tell them your a cm they give you a bigger bin for free and it's collected like all the other general waste. It's the same if you have 3 or more children of your own.

If we do that here they class us as a business and we then have to pay for business waste collection :eek:. They will give you more bags if you have more than 2 children of your own though.

xxx

rickysmiths
25-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I have never had a pre school give me los nappies to take home but then I have never had a lo in nappies go to pre school and I feel they should not go until they are out of nappies anyway but that is a whole separate thread.

We have had fortnightly collections for a couple of years now and I have had 3 or four every day in nappies and it really hasn't been a problem. With the largest number of nappies it doesn't even take up a 1/3 of the bin and we have smaller than normal bins. In a usual 2 weeks we fill one pedal bin bag with rubbish, if we have done some clearing out then two bags which all fit in the bin fine.

This happens because most of our rubbish is recycled and doesn't go in the bin.

I can't see the problem and I wouldn't dream of stacking up all the nappies through the day for the parents especially in hot weather. Nasty Unhygenic! :panic:

nipper
25-04-2012, 01:41 PM
In Telford and Wrekin one of my lovely neighbours stole our half bin when we moved away for work three yrs ago and when i recently rang the the council to see about getting a replacement was told someone from the council would be 'monitoring' our bins for the next month to see if we were recycling properly and wotnot. After that we could pay £25 for an extra bin!

Think I could put it through the books?:laughing:

funemnx
25-04-2012, 03:33 PM

This is what I do - especially in the summer months when it's hot, smelly and we don't get emptied for a fortnight! Yuk! :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
25-04-2012, 03:35 PM

I used to do this when I had lo in nappies :) there is a dog bin every 5 minutes around here!

buzzy bee
25-04-2012, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't do it. Definitely not the smelly ones as then they'd be hanging around my house all day!!

I think playgroups do it because they don't have bin collections at all, so I can understand having to take them home from playgroups.

I'd also check with your environmental health dept and Ofsted if this is allowed, because I'm pretty sure I've been told I have to put all nappies straight into the outside bin for health and safety reasons.

jellytot
25-04-2012, 03:49 PM
hmm hadnt really thought it through especially summer and yukky nappys. Will give it a go when swap over happens and see how it goes, may not be as bad as I think and maybe use street bins too as said x

babs
25-04-2012, 04:30 PM
i put my plastic nappy bin outside my front door in the day and at the end of each day it goes in main bin , but i have been known to take them with me on school run and dump them in rubbish bins on way :P.. always take nappy outside rain hail or snow long story wont get in to it all ill say is brother in law made me ill once with a nappy in inside bin.

miffy
25-04-2012, 04:42 PM
I just hope our LA doesn't switch to smaller bins, I wouldn't want bags of dirty nappies hanging round ready to send home at the end of the day - can't think parents would be too impressed either!

Miffy xx

AliceK
25-04-2012, 04:52 PM
We are given 1 plastic bag a week to use. It's smaller than the black sacks you can buy from the shops and not very strong. We recycle everything we can and use 4 big plastic boxes for this every week but I still can't fit all our other rubbish in 1 sack. When I had 3 LO's in nappies that was on average 12 nappies per day, 60 per week. There is no way I can fit 60 nappies plus our normal household waste into 1 sack. It doesn't help that I also have 4 rabbits to clean out every other day (all that old straw / sawdust) plus 2 cats using a litter tray plus the dog poo. Nasty stuff all of it but what else can I do with it other than bag it all up and put it in the sack. Thank goodness 2 of my parents potty trained their children at the end of last month otherwise I would have bagged the nappies as they were used, put them in a plastic bin outside in named plastic bags and sent them home. I would not and never have kept a soiled nappy in my inside bin, yuck :panic:

xxxx

rickysmiths
25-04-2012, 04:55 PM

I'm sorry to be so grumpy but how unprofessional is that. Yuck :angry:

rickysmiths
25-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't do it. Definitely not the smelly ones as then they'd be hanging around my house all day!!

I think playgroups do it because they don't have bin collections at all, so I can understand having to take them home from playgroups.

I'd also check with your environmental health dept and Ofsted if this is allowed, because I'm pretty sure I've been told I have to put all nappies straight into the outside bin for health and safety reasons.

Our pre school has a bin. Toddler groups don't though and so I double bag and take them home no problem.

rickysmiths
25-04-2012, 04:58 PM
hmm hadnt really thought it through especially summer and yukky nappys. Will give it a go when swap over happens and see how it goes, may not be as bad as I think and maybe use street bins too as said x

Goodness. Again I have never had a problem. My bins may get a bit more smelly in the summer but they are well away from the house and have never caused a problem. I don't know a cm around here who ever has had a problem with space or smell.

miffy
25-04-2012, 05:00 PM
We are given 1 plastic bag a week to use. It's smaller than the black sacks you can buy from the shops and not very strong. We recycle everything we can and use 4 big plastic boxes for this every week but I still can't fit all our other rubbish in 1 sack. When I had 3 LO's in nappies that was on average 12 nappies per day, 60 per week. There is no way I can fit 60 nappies plus our normal household waste into 1 sack. It doesn't help that I also have 4 rabbits to clean out every other day (all that old straw / sawdust) plus 2 cats using a litter tray plus the dog poo. Nasty stuff all of it but what else can I do with it other than bag it all up and put it in the sack. Thank goodness 2 of my parents potty trained their children at the end of last month otherwise I would have bagged the nappies as they were used, put them in a plastic bin outside in named plastic bags and sent them home. I would not and never have kept a soiled nappy in my inside bin, yuck :panic:

xxxx

After reading that, I'm feeling very lucky that we have a reasonable size bin for household waste - OK it only gets emptied once a fortnight but I can still fit everything in it.

I'd also find it very difficult to manage if I could only fill one black bag a week!!!!!!

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
25-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I just hope our LA doesn't switch to smaller bins, I wouldn't want bags of dirty nappies hanging round ready to send home at the end of the day - can't think parents would be too impressed either!

Miffy xx

Miffy I have a smaller wheelie bin that is now collected once a fortnight. I have regularly had four under fives five days a week all in nappies and I haven't yet ever had a problem with lack of space.

loopyloopy
25-04-2012, 05:53 PM
I couldnt think of anything worse than 'storing' nappies, its disgusting and I certainly wouldnt be happy about getting a bag full handed to me anymore than I would send a bag full home nor would I take them on the school run to throw in a council bin. Surely there is another way?

cathtee
28-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Id be tempted to do this too. :thumbsup:

I do this on the way home from playgroup, :laughing:

cathtee
28-04-2012, 09:09 PM
In our area Sandwell we have just had an e-mail from our council asking if childminders would be interested in weekly nappy collections having a special bag for them, I think its a great idea, hope it comes into force. :)

jadavi
28-04-2012, 09:36 PM
I dont think its really fair to send a smelly nappy back in someone's car. Some of my parents drive one hour to get to me because this is where they work.

Twinkles
28-04-2012, 09:45 PM
I have one of these by the change mat. Doesn't smell - no problem.

http://www.cheekyrascals.co.uk/1470/3453/bins-product-page

If it came to it I would get dh to take it to the tip when it needs emptying.

onceinabluemoon
29-04-2012, 07:03 AM
We only have tiny bins too (125L I think) and I have 5 rabbits, 3 FT kids in nappies and 2 dogs as well as the normal household rubbish. I find it very difficult and always have at least 2 white bags of rubbish extra when the bins are full, thankfully an old lady over the road lets me dump them in her bin. I now use reusable cloth nappies as my bin was 1/3 full of dirty nappies every fortnight, but did at one point ask parents to take their nappies home. I am also really careful not to buy over packaged stuff wherever possible.

Unfortunately our council doesn't recycle much (no plastic except bottles no cardboard, only certain papers etc.) and we only have a little box to put everything in (not allowed to put extra bin bags out!) so it is very difficult. I recently contacted them to see if I could get a bigger bin. They told me to take stuff to the tip and recycle more, tip is ten miles away (they closed ours last summer in cutbacks). I don't have a car or access to a car so that is no use to me and I already recycle everything I can because thats who I am, plus we are an eco-friendly setting so thats part of my ethos!
Blooming idiots have done what they always do and made it ok for people who have money and cars but rubbish (no pun intended) for those of us who can't drive or are on limited incomes like the old folks here. :angry:

Sorry that is a bit of a rant. :blush:

Those of you who take nappies from home/playgroup and dump them in street waste bins, be wanted you are 'fly tipping' and could get prosecuted. There are warnings on all our street bins...

FussyElmo
29-04-2012, 07:36 AM
See my first thought was yuck why on earth would you send nappies home. However compared to some of you we are really lucky with our bins. I have 3 wheelie bins one for garden and food waste, one for plastic, tins and cardboard and one for normal non recycleable waste. These are collected every 2 weeks and two of the 3 bins are usually full to bursting. I dont know how some of you manage :panic:

LittleLegsCM
29-04-2012, 10:45 AM
convince your parents to use cloth then you wont have to worry about throwing them ;) lol x

Katiekoo
29-04-2012, 11:39 AM

We have very restricted bin space and fortnightly collections and once our main bin is full I collect my rubbish in a little bag each day (including nappies) and take it on the school run and pop it in the council bin, just a little each day for a few days til bin collection. I have been wondering for a while if it's ok to do this? It's no more than most people pop in the council bins - sweet wrappers drinks bottles etc.
Stink wise it's certainly better than having nappies hanging round for two weeks.

Bridey
29-04-2012, 11:52 AM
It's no more than most people pop in the council bins - sweet wrappers drinks bottles etc.

I really don't think you can compare sweet wrappers and drink bottles to human waste! I really cannot believe what I am reading on this thread!

Katiekoo
29-04-2012, 12:05 PM
I was referring to the quantity, not the content. I maybe put one small bag of rubbish a week (any that won't fit in home wheelie bin) in a public bin - sometimes it may have a double wrapped nappy in.
I had always put nappies in public bins if I've changed a baby while out and about at the park, always double bagged.
I am looking for a solution, I don't like doing this but would really rather not store nappies in bags next to my full bin where animals/vermin can get to them.
What should I do, I had a nappy bin before but it really was quite stinky and I still had to find room in my main wheelie bin.
Edited to add - did not know it was classed as fly tipping - I really must find a better solution :(

Wendybird
29-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Am I missing something here? Why is using the council bins worse than putting nappies in your home bin? The collection process is the same, isn't it? The bags the same? Also, it is all funded the same (your council tax). I don't understand the argument (genuinely).

I have considered sending nappies home before. We also have a very small bin and I use cloth for my kids and offer a cloth nappy service at cost - it isn't anymore expensive than sending plastic nappies, wipes and bags for the parents. I admit to feeling annoyed at having disposable nappies suck up bin space when I offer viable alternatives.

muffins
29-04-2012, 05:50 PM
I have considered sending nappies home before. We also have a very small bin and I use cloth for my kids and offer a cloth nappy service at cost - it isn't anymore expensive than sending plastic nappies, wipes and bags for the parents. I admit to feeling annoyed at having disposable nappies suck up bin space when I offer viable alternatives.

My point exactly! I dont want your stinking plastic nappies containing human waste in my bin (cant fit them in anyway) so I send them home! I use cloth for my LO's & am happy to do so for mindees, if they choose to use plastic I wrap them in several nappy sacks & send them home:D

mushpea
29-04-2012, 06:24 PM
we have 4 rabbits, 6 guneapigs, and 2 gerbils, all their waste goes in the recycling or in my compost bin over the allotment , any veg peelings or leftover fruit gets fed to them unless rotton of course then it gets recycled, any other food waste goes in another bin which the council recycles,, then all of our plastic and cardboard goes in recycling bags collect by the council
we also have 2 cat and a dog, the dogs poos go in the local counil bins as 9 times out of 10 he poos when out , the cats go for a wander and do their buisness.
theres not much rubbish other than nappies that go in our normal bin so we are ok but the council did once say that if we had a bigger bin we would be classed as a buisness and charge accordingly.
if nappies take up a lot of room what about offering a washable nappy service for parents, I am sure somone on here does it, would save a lot of bin space and you wouldnt have to send smelly nappies home.

muffins
29-04-2012, 08:26 PM
we have 4 rabbits, 6 guneapigs, and 2 gerbils, all their waste goes in the recycling or in my compost bin over the allotment , any veg peelings or leftover fruit gets fed to them unless rotton of course then it gets recycled, any other food waste goes in another bin which the council recycles,, then all of our plastic and cardboard goes in recycling bags collect by the council
we also have 2 cat and a dog, the dogs poos go in the local counil bins as 9 times out of 10 he poos when out , the cats go for a wander and do their buisness.
theres not much rubbish other than nappies that go in our normal bin so we are ok but the council did once say that if we had a bigger bin we would be classed as a buisness and charge accordingly.
if nappies take up a lot of room what about offering a washable nappy service for parents, I am sure somone on here does it, would save a lot of bin space and you wouldnt have to send smelly nappies home.

I do offer washable nappy service for what I consider to be cost effective but they want to use plastic so they take them home:D

rickysmiths
29-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I really don't think you can compare sweet wrappers and drink bottles to human waste! I really cannot believe what I am reading on this thread!

I agree with you Bridey. I am shocked that professional childminders would consider returning or binning nappies else where.

I have a small general bin and with four full timers in nappies (120-150 nappies) plus our waste and fortnightly collections, I have NEVER had a problem.

I suggest that perhaps some of you that do need to look at the amount of waste your families are producing. We are a family of four with teenagers plus we entertain a reasonable amount and have lots of teenagers around and there are the mindees. We have a small bin in the kitchen that takes a week to fill. At the very most we put three of them in the bin each two weeks and nappies included we could fit 3 more in if we needed.

We recycle virtually everything and a lot of our food waste goes in our compost bin but if we couldn't do this it would go in our brown bin which is collected every week.

So little goes in our general bin nowadays. I am quite shocked that it seems such a problem for some of you.

mr man
29-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm shocked too, never in a million years had I even thought this was a problem.
alarm bells....... dirty smelly nappies hanging round. No way could I do that, straight in the bin outside - done.
if we have over waste or a sort out, we go the tip with it. Isn't that the usual thing to do. they recycle 75% or more here.

I could never send nappies home, i kind of see it - its our job to help and support the children while with us, so as their carer we deal with whats needed to care for them.
Isn't that what we get paid for.

imagine being a parent and picking up your child and then being handed a bag full of their waste too. doesn't bare thinking about.

snufflepuff
30-04-2012, 08:56 AM

Ooh I'm in Wiltshire and didn't know this. Does it apply to the whole county? Not that it matters anymore, I currently only put about 14-16 nappies in the bin each week and I'll be on maternity leave soon anyway!

catminder
30-04-2012, 09:11 AM
I would never send soiled nappies home with mindees, I think it's unhygienic and just not nice. If I struggled to fit them in my bin then I certainly don't see anything wrong with poppping them in a street bin, all this type of rubbish goes to the same place anyway.

LOOPYLISA
30-04-2012, 09:26 AM
I would never send soiled nappies home with mindees, I think it's unhygienic and just not nice. If I struggled to fit them in my bin then I certainly don't see anything wrong with poppping them in a street bin, all this type of rubbish goes to the same place anyway.

I agree :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
30-04-2012, 09:27 AM
I am not a cm but as only a family of 3 our recycling bin was over flowing so much hubby had to use the neighbours empty bins :laughing:
We called the council and got the biggest one delivered and still its full to the top :rolleyes:

JCrakers
30-04-2012, 12:54 PM
If we do that here they class us as a business and we then have to pay for business waste collection :eek:. They will give you more bags if you have more than 2 children of your own though.

xxx

Same for us :angry: I can have a bigger bin if I have more than two children of my own but when I rang the council to ask it I could have a bigger bin for childminding they said no. But I could have a buisness bin (one of those big things :laughing:) and then I woul dhave to pay for someone to collect it...I told them where to stick it :rolleyes:

LauraS
30-04-2012, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't send nappies home - if the worst came to the worst it would be a trip to the tip to dump them at the weekend, or the sneaky use of a public bin.

We have a standard size household bin and a second large recycling bin, and we can upgrade both to 50% larger capacity for free if needed, and we also have weekly collections for all types of household waste. I thought weekly collections were standard these days?

Chimps Childminding
30-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't send nappies home - if the worst came to the worst it would be a trip to the tip to dump them at the weekend, or the sneaky use of a public bin.

We have a standard size household bin and a second large recycling bin, and we can upgrade both to 50% larger capacity for free if needed, and we also have weekly collections for all types of household waste. I thought weekly collections were standard these days?

No we have alternate fortnightly collections - one week recyling, next household waste!!! I have upto 10 people staying in my house at times (4 sons and gf's plus me and DH) and with the nappies as well my bin is always full to capacity, even though I recyle as much as I can!!!

Still wouldn't send nappies home with parents though!!