PDA

View Full Version : Leaving sleeping children in buggys at school

amandachildcare
25-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I have recently had one of my mums ask me (via email) not to leave her 15 month old in the buggy outside reception door when I do the school run, I always have 2 little ones (the other being my own son 22 months) in a double buggy whilst dropping children into nursery and reception. I can't take the buggy in with me - not safe or suitable, or indeed allowable!. There are at least 6/7 other buggies outside the door with children in. 9 times out of 10 he is asleep, so do I wake him up and then have to carry a heavy, grumpy toddler around for about 10-15 minutes whilst sorting out the 5 year olds coats, lunches etc.???? I haven't answered mum yet as feel I am being pedantic if I ask her what she wants me to do. Any suggestions. Tx

Baildon bears
25-04-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't think there is anything you can really do about this, I have a double buggy I leave out side reception, its back breaking trying to get little ones out of buggys and sort other kids out, I would explain to her your situation, yes its not ideal, but you have no choose, if she is not happy she can either change her contract hours and drop and drop child of at 9.15 or hopefully not for you she would have to look else where, though most childminders have the same problem. Some parents just do not understand the stresses of our job. Hope it works out for you.

mushpea
25-04-2012, 03:33 PM
I would chat to the teacher and explain that you arent able to come in to the classroom as you cant leave the baby in the pram alone and that the children need to learn to become independant and put their own things away or find them at the end of the day.
if the teacher dosent agree to this then you will have to tell the teacher that the pram will need to come in with you if the baby is asleep.
Or how about another childminder who is outside the classroom that you could get mums permision to leave him with whilst you pop in

gegele
25-04-2012, 03:43 PM
i leave buggy outside nursery, there is a staff memeber at the door at all time.

jaja
25-04-2012, 03:44 PM
might just be me but i wouldnt leave a child either my own or someone elses in a pushchair out of sight, you never know what can happen. Another adult could take them, child could try and get out of the pushchair, another child could try and feed the child in the child, pushchair gets knocked ect, lots of things could go wrong and it only takes a minute to happen.

I would speak to school and ask them for the teaching assistant to meet you at the door and hand over or encourage the child or even turn up early so that you can get in and sorted and out before the rest of the mums arrive.

sorry if you dont agree but you are being paid to be with that child at all times.

xxx

babs
25-04-2012, 03:45 PM
i do school run for pre school and school both they meet them at class room door, children go in themsleves and hang own coats up put lunch box in area they go. thats pre school 3 - 4 . school 4- 5 parents are allowed to go in 10 - 15 minutes early everyday and play with the children how ever when i do school run i drop at the door wave to who ever is in charge watch children hang up coats, do lunch bag etc then they sit at a table and write if they are having a school lunch or sandwiches. if ive only got one child i will go into class room and see what thay have been doing, i did this with 2 2year olds and they both had a screaming fit when i tried to leave when bell went so decided for best to drop and run... im lucky as i can get my double buggy in to the class room but tbh there just isnt enough room, but i would never leave a child awake or asleep outside on their own.

lulubelle
25-04-2012, 03:48 PM
might just be me but i wouldnt leave a child either my own or someone elses in a pushchair out of sight, you never know what can happen. Another adult could take them, child could try and get out of the pushchair, another child could try and feed the child in the child, pushchair gets knocked ect, lots of things could go wrong and it only takes a minute to happen.

I would speak to school and ask them for the teaching assistant to meet you at the door and hand over or encourage the child or even turn up early so that you can get in and sorted and out before the rest of the mums arrive.

sorry if you dont agree but you are being paid to be with that child at all times.

xxx

i agree with you i would never leave my own child outside, let alone someone elses. imagine the phone call if they did get lost/taken!

Bridey
25-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Our infant school has a teaching assistant at each door to watch over the buggies while the parents take their children in.

I don't have any little ones at the moment but have never left them unattended. The terms of my registration is that the children are within eye or earshot at all times.

jaja
25-04-2012, 03:50 PM
i agree with you i would never leave my own child outside, let alone someone elses. imagine the phone call if they did get lost/taken!

I know, although i have seen others minders do this and they dont see anything wrong with it, i have always stood at the other classroom and waited to leave to see if she comes back out again and the children are safe because the thought of anything happening and i am not even responsibly for her children...

xx

buzzy bee
25-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I would never leave a child alone in a buggy anywhere even for a minute - just not worth the risk.

Like the others have said I'd speak to the school and see if they can meet you outside.

If they can't then I'd wake the LO up and take them inside. Or could your DS walk and you put the mindee in a single buggy - would you be able to take it in then?

mama2three
25-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Sorry I know the practicalities are difficult but we must keep mindees within sight / hearing at all times. Either speak to school about someone else supporting your mindees with coats etc on entering school as you are unable to enter with the pram - or if you know another minder maybe you could take in all mindees whilst she watches all little ones.Even for this I would get parental permission as strictly speaking we shouldnt.

wendywu
25-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I stand in the door way and can see both the cloakroom and can still see the buggy. Then once the children are on the premises and out of their coats they are under the schools care.

I think the system is very silly now and i cannot understand how a child has not wandered back out of school after the parent or carer has left.

Oh for the good old days when they used to blow a whistle in the play ground and they used to line up and file in :laughing:

mama2three
25-04-2012, 04:22 PM
I stand in the door way and can see both the cloakroom and can still see the buggy. Then once the children are on the premises and out of their coats they are under the schools care.

I think the system is very silly now and i cannot understand how a child has not wandered back out of school after the parent or carer has left.

Oh for the good old days when they used to blow a whistle in the play ground and they used to line up and file in :laughing:

This is still what happens at ds's school thank goodness. the foundation unit he went to parents went in with them , helped with coats and settling down. I had no choice but to take mindees in with me , I couldnt see them or hear them outside.

Baildon bears
25-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I think Ive got a little confused, I thought you ment outside the class room in the hall way. I take my buggy into school and leave kids just outside door, I too would feel nervous about leaving them out side where I could not hear or see them.

loocyloo
25-04-2012, 04:43 PM
regardless of what the schools want parents to do, i have always told the class teacher at the start of term ( and/or contract for minded child ) that i will not be able to take child in, i will endeavour to have them independant enough to sort themselves out, but as i can not bring buggies into class, i will not be bringing child in ( unless, i don't have any LO that day! )

i used to do the same for one nursery, when i had to drop off with 3 other LO in the car. a member of staff would meet me at the car and take LO from there. at the end of the day, i would park right by the gate, wave at a member of staff who would bring LO to me. ( if it was raining, i would phone them to say i was there! )

The Juggler
25-04-2012, 04:44 PM
we have to do this at our nursery. me and another minder take turns to go in and drop off. mums/parents are made aware of this.:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
25-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Now you see I am shocked by this. Why are you spending 15mins sorting a five year old out who I'm sorry should be able to do this themselves. We were never allowed in when my two children when into reception it would have been chaos with 30 parents milling around and they were well able to hang their own coats up. They learnt this in Nursery the way they learnt to do up their own coats as well. :panic:

I have never gone in with minded children either for the very reason you are finding it difficult. I have to agree with the mother of the child as well. We do not leave minded children unattended in a public place and that is what this is. It doesn't matter if it is a place you are familiar with and are happy to leave your son, minded children must be in sight and sound at all times. Sorry. I would not take on mindees in these circumstances.

chez
25-04-2012, 05:10 PM
IVe recently started to drop off and pick up from a preschool where parents leave children in buggies outside and the adult on the door welcoming keeps an eye on them, talks to parents, welcomes children, does the register answers querries all at the same time.
So far since taking the LO Ive been taking the buggy in with me and nothing yet has been said to me but I am waiting for it to be. I will not leave any child in my care outside the nursery or school while I go in. The adult from the nursery hasnt been registered to care for my children and the parents have not given permission.

Chimps Childminding
25-04-2012, 05:20 PM
In our reception class you are expected to take the child in to the area outside the class room, help them hang coats up, put lunch boxes on the stand etc then take the child plus drinks bottle into class room, put bottle on unit in there and reading folder in childs drawer before depositing said child on the carpet where teacher is waiting - its a nightmare :eek:. There isn't room for parents etc never mind pushchairs! I'm afraid mine have to be taken from me at the door, I can't get in with pushchair and there is no way I am leaving lo's outside.

Its crazy because half the children then cling to parents (particularly when they first start) and it takes ages to get them all settled. Would be much easier if they just went in when the bell goes and teacher/teaching assistants sorted them out!!!

Rant over :blush:

ChocolateChip
25-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Our nursery and reception class have their own playground so I can wheel a buggy right up next to the door and see the others in. I don't go in with them if I have a buggy, I prefer them to learn to be independent but will stay and watch from the door/window to make sure they have sorted everything out ok.
If I need to speak to someone there is always someone on the door who can pop out to me if it needs to be a private word.
I wouldn't leave a buggy/ child out of sight regardless of what school policy is, I'm afraid the older ones would have to be going in alone, as far as I'm concerned once they are past the door they are the school's responsibility.

Sorry hun, but I think the priority is to keep the lo's in the buggy safe and you can't do that if you can't see them. If the other parents have issues they will need to get together and speak to the school to come up with an arrangement.

Ali56
25-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Our reception children are encouraged to be as independent as possible almost right away. Adults are allowed in for a week or so at the start of term to help the child learn the routine. Then, unless there are exceptional circumstances, children are expected to manage alone. The TA's will help/encourage if needed. Most 4/5 yr old's can hang up their coat and put a lunch box and bag away. It just takes them a little longer to do it alone!! (BUT, they all learn very quickly!)
Our little mindee's must be within sight or hearing at all times, and it can be very difficult, so I would take mindee inside anyway, esp if its 10-15 mins you are in there for! I do the pre-school run 3 days a week and have to take a 10m and a 2y mindee in as they have 'circle time' to which the parents/carers are invited too, it can be a pain but the LO's feel left out if they are one of the few that are alone. The only way round it that I can see is if there is another minder there to and you can come to an arrangement with written permission from parents, even then I not sure its strictly allowed as it isn't an emergency?

amandachildcare
25-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi Ladies

Thank you all so much for your replies. Its interesting reading them all. I did omit to say that there is always a staff member on the door who watches over any buggys. We are a small village with a small school and most of the mums I know well so I have no problem in leaving my own son outside the classroom.

I can't remember who said "why are you spending 10-15 minutes in the classroom". I totally agree it is ridiculous it seems to have slipped recently and I hate going in as most of the mums stand around chatting and are in the way of us childminders trying to rush in and out. I think I will speak to reception teacher and say that I can't come into the classroom, can watch them from the door putting coats up but nursery and pre-school could be difficult, will have to think about that one.

Thanks once again for the help.

little chickee
25-04-2012, 05:50 PM
I can't understand why parents/minders have to take their kids into school and sort coats, lunches, waterbottles.

At our primary school the bell rings, kids line up and in they go with the teacher.
Parents are discouraged from entering the playground at all.

4 and 5 years olds should be more than capable of hanging up their coat and putting their lunch bag on a table!!

Even if my school did have the same requirements as yours i would be tellng them that i am unable to assit with coats etc as i have other kids in my care and i would let the kids/teacher get on with it.

tinkerbelle
25-04-2012, 05:58 PM
im really sorry but if that was my child you was supposed to be looking after i would withdraw them immediatly as stated mindees have to be in hear shot at all times no exceptions and reading your post yopu are leaving this mindee outside for 10-15 minutes a day out of sight and hear shot all i can say is your lucky you have not been reported sorry you might think im being harsh but its my opinion

blue bear
25-04-2012, 06:08 PM
I know a minder who was reported for leavibg lo outside school class which was a porta cabin with steps only. Ofsted came down on her hard, under no curcumstances can children be left out of hearing and sight

rickysmiths
25-04-2012, 06:13 PM
In our reception class you are expected to take the child in to the area outside the class room, help them hang coats up, put lunch boxes on the stand etc then take the child plus drinks bottle into class room, put bottle on unit in there and reading folder in childs drawer before depositing said child on the carpet where teacher is waiting - its a nightmare :eek:. There isn't room for parents etc never mind pushchairs! I'm afraid mine have to be taken from me at the door, I can't get in with pushchair and there is no way I am leaving lo's outside.

Its crazy because half the children then cling to parents (particularly when they first start) and it takes ages to get them all settled. Would be much easier if they just went in when the bell goes and teacher/teaching assistants sorted them out!!!

I agree with this as well.

Little Pickles
25-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I totally understand the parent's point of view , I wouldn't want my baby left outside - you wouldn't leave a baby outside a shop would you ? Just because its a school doesn't mean its safe unfortunatly . I agree with other posters who have said that you must have the baby in your sight at all times . You need to speak to the teachers and if they cannot arrange to collect child from you at the door you will need to rearrange your childminding before you get a complaint
Wishing you all the best :)

nikki thomson
25-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Is there a parent or another cm who you are good friends with who could stay with the pushchair while you go inside so there not left unattended?.
I'm sure mum would be happy with that, I know it's difficult and all schools are different etc but it only takes one person to make a complaint against you for leaving lo unattended and you'll be in it up to your neck which I don't think you deserve, hope you manage to come up with a solution that works for you all. Xx

samb
25-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Well, each of my drop offs are different so...

My dd is 6 and in yr 1. On my busiest day I have 4x3yr old and under and her. On this day I stand at the door with buggy with 2 children in and the other 2 holding on. I give dd her bag and she knows she must put lunch bag, then coat, then bag away then stand at her classroom door and wave to me so I know she is ok and going in. She then would sort her water bottle and bookbag. I started this with he in year 1. I told the teacher I needed her to be more independent as it wasn't easy for me to bring all the children in. They have been fine with it. It was difficult in reception as I literally would get all the kids out of the buggy and have them all hanging on to me at various angles and that class was furthest from the door too - my son will be there next year. I am anticipating difficult times! I wouldn't leave the mindees though. Just leave the buggy and struggle! Get them to walk as soon as they can. Have them on reins if too quick for the slower ones etc - do whatever you can - it doesn't take long really and its much better to take them all than to leave anyone behind. On quietest day I have a 2yr old, 3 yr old and dd for school run in the am. Then we all go in with her.

For 3 yr old mindees pre school I can wheel buggy right up to door, mindees peg is near the door (full glass so I can see at all times) and then he goes in.

For 3 yr old sons pre school they let you take the buggy right in so not a problem.

BuggsieMoo
25-04-2012, 07:05 PM
My daughters school do not allow buggies into the school (besides the playground). However, if I need to go into reception, I take baby and buggy inside. If I have the double, I park it right by the door, buzz, open door, hold it open and talk to receptionist there (even if I need to shout - usually gets her coming to me :rolleyes:) with my other hand on the buggy. We have stay and play on a Friday (which mindees also come to). Buggy is parked outside, baby comes in with me and then we leave at the same time, I do not go back into the classroom and if daughter wants another cuddle she comes to her doorway (each class has its own mini area of play space outside fenced off) and she gives me a cuddle then. At 5 she knows I will not leave the baby unattended. In the mornings, her teacher stands at the gate and I give her a kiss and cuddle then and off she tottles. From day 1 she has been expected to be independant and the teachers do not want all the parents in the classroom as they want to start their day.

When she was at nursery, if I had the baby and she feel asleep I used to wheel her into the building - tight squeeze but tough, I could still see her then. If she was awake I would get her out and take her in, she loved meeting everyone inside as well.

All it takes is a few seconds to be out of your eyeshot or earshot and something could go wrong. I wouldnt want that on my conscience.

karen m
25-04-2012, 09:03 PM
I cannot believe you are are wondering how to reply to parent ,how about SORRY i should never have done this , i think you are lucky the parent has not terminated contract or contacted Ofsted.I would never leave any child in a buggy outside,a 5 year old should be capable of taking their coat off and hanging it up

Tealady
25-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree, you should not leave a child outside in a buggy.

I also think that it is poor of the teachers not to have been able to get the children "trained" in what they need to do by this stage in the academic year.

When my DD started we came in the first week. Then I had to take my own DS in in my arms as I would not leave him outside.

After that week they did what the rest of the infants do. Line up when the bell goes. Wait for teacher to come out then file in... The old fashioned way! LOL
Sure some children needed a little support with taking coats off and putting things away but the teachers and TA's handled it.

Demonjill
25-04-2012, 09:46 PM
:panic: No couldnt leave mindees anywhere where i cant see and/or hear them - I base everything on worse case scenario - it drives hubby crazy sometimes - but my kids and mindees are as safe as they can be as i dont put them in any situations like this which is asking for trouble. So you have R.A that nothing is going to happen to them while you go inside? You must have a crystal ball then:laughing:

I would consider all of these problems when initially deciding if i could take on more children etc

sorry if a bit blunt but this is a thing that winds me up and as a CPO i take things very seriously - most parents like that..

ziggy
26-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Sorry but i wouldnt leave a child in buggy or car for a minute, too risky

Could you ask a friend or another minder to take children into school. or chat to head teacher about finding a solution?

It's difficult, as i wouldnt want to leave little ones but then would want to make sure older ones were safely in their classroom.

Must agree was easier in the 'olden days' when we took children into playground, they lined up then went into school with their teacher

amandachildcare
26-04-2012, 09:38 AM
As a new childminder, I realise I have been totally niaive about leaving the children, partly because I don't want to have to wake them up and partly as they get left by the door where there is a member of staff watching all buggies for mums and carers. I can see through the doors at all times as most of the foundation building front is glass, just on one morning when I drop a little boy into nursery which is through another door.

I think my 10-15 minutes was slightly out, its probably more like 5 minutes, just seems longer!!! I have as of today told all my parents that I will be seeing their children into the main classroom door and thats it as I have to be able to see the buggy.

Once again - thank you all so much for your constructive help - apart from Karen M - as your reply was unneccessarily rude and unhelpful.

The mum in question is more than happy with the care I give her children (lo and one in reception) and was constructive in her criticism and is very pleased with the changes I have made.

Little Pickles
26-04-2012, 10:28 AM
So glad that you have found a soloution that suits everyone :clapping:
Its a learning journey this job . Good luck and best wishes

ziggy
26-04-2012, 10:52 AM
me too, it's not easy doing school runs. Good luck :)

gigglinggoblin
26-04-2012, 11:16 AM
I cannot believe you are are wondering how to reply to parent ,how about SORRY i should never have done this , i think you are lucky the parent has not terminated contract or contacted Ofsted.I would never leave any child in a buggy outside,a 5 year old should be capable of taking their coat off and hanging it up

I think this is to the point, not at all rude and very helpful indeed.

If that was my child I would expect an apology and if I didnt get it I would consider making a complaint. I really dont think I would be leaving them with you again until I got an assurance that it absolutely wouldnt happen any more.

I dont agree that having a teacher on the door means children are necessarily safe. Teachers may get distracted talking to other parents or may not know whose child is whose. I understand that as a new child minder there is a lot to learn but this could have been a very steep learning curve!

nokidshere
26-04-2012, 11:34 AM
I used to leave my little one at the door in his buggy with the teacher watching and within my sight - but the teacher was his mum ;)

Milli147
26-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Oddly enough I had the opposite situation this week of a parent suggesting I leave LOs in the car outside during a nursery drop off due to the bad weather.
She meant really well and I know was trying to be helpful, so I am not criticising in any way, what shocked me was that she said other CMs were doing this.
Regardless of Ofsted and rules for a moment, I don't care how inconvenient it is, or how wet we all get, or how disrupted one nap time might be, or heavy the child is....I would never, ever forgive myself if anything happened to a child in my care and I do not want that on my conscience. Better a wet grumpy child and a bad back than the unthinkable.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-04-2012, 11:50 AM
As a new childminder, I realise I have been totally niaive about leaving the children, partly because I don't want to have to wake them up and partly as they get left by the door where there is a member of staff watching all buggies for mums and carers. I can see through the doors at all times as most of the foundation building front is glass, just on one morning when I drop a little boy into nursery which is through another door.

I think my 10-15 minutes was slightly out, its probably more like 5 minutes, just seems longer!!! I have as of today told all my parents that I will be seeing their children into the main classroom door and thats it as I have to be able to see the buggy.

Once again - thank you all so much for your constructive help - apart from Karen M - as your reply was unneccessarily rude and unhelpful.

The mum in question is more than happy with the care I give her children (lo and one in reception) and was constructive in her criticism and is very pleased with the changes I have made.

I think you will find that a lot of posts are made and come across as rude but I don't this this one was by Karen M - it was short and precise and she may not of had any other time to write it a different way.

I am glad the posts helped you though and good luck with your future minding and I hope we still here from you

~Grasshopper~
26-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Now you see I am shocked by this. Why are you spending 15mins sorting a five year old out who I'm sorry should be able to do this themselves. We were never allowed in when my two children when into reception it would have been chaos with 30 parents milling around and they were well able to hang their own coats up. They learnt this in Nursery the way they learnt to do up their own coats as well. :panic:

I have never gone in with minded children either for the very reason you are finding it difficult. I have to agree with the mother of the child as well. We do not leave minded children unattended in a public place and that is what this is. It doesn't matter if it is a place you are familiar with and are happy to leave your son, minded children must be in sight and sound at all times. Sorry. I would not take on mindees in these circumstances.

see thats what im sat here thinking, why are you going in with a 5 year old?? no i see mine through the door and i wave through window. even at nursery my 3 year old knew i couldnt come in because of the pram and it was never questioned. x

karen m
26-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Thank you Gigglingobblin,Amandachildcare i was not rude i just told you my opinion,i stand by what i said,you say parent is happy with your care that maybe the case when you are at home or groups by her emailing you to point out about you leaving child outside in a pram would make me think she is not happy with this aspect of your care.

jaja
26-04-2012, 07:36 PM
I have to say i am suprised by how many people think that an school teacher, assistant or another mum is ok to keep an eye on the children, surely if anyting happens you as the childminder are fully responsible and its not worth the risk. You should never leave a child with anyone who is not named on your certificate unless its an emergency and a school run isnt an emergency. I worry even if i use my assistant as if anything went wrong then its my responsiblity.

xxx

PixiePetal
26-04-2012, 08:10 PM

this is how it is at the school my kids went to. After a couple of weeks parents were expected to have taught their kids what to do alone. Mine learnt very quick! until then I took mindees out of buggy and got in everyones way in the class :rolleyes: Other parent used to say they didn't know how I did it and wish their children would be like mine :rolleyes:

At the end of school we stood by the big window onto corridor outside class and children were passed out as teacher saw parent/carer there.

samb
27-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Well done for finding a suitable solution. Don't forget to write it down to show you have been reflective in your practise for Oftsed. :thumbsup:

I also don't think Karenm was being rude - I imagine when you told the parent you had changed your practises you probably did so in a "sorry about what i was doing and I am now doing this" type of way anyway which is all I think was meant be Karenm?

uf353432
27-04-2012, 12:14 PM
You know starting up in this business is really hard - you don't have all the answers and mostly its a case of trial and error. I doubt for one moment that this is something you will ever repeat and well done for you seeking advice, in the main childminders work alone and so unless a problem smacks us in the face we are unlikely to see it.

I live in a small village community as well with a little school, it feels safe and secure - but we must never get complacent.

Quite often on the days I know I need to enter school with a non walker I will use a sling instead of the pushchair. Baby is in my care at all times and it leaves my hands free for any other children in my care. Your 22mth son might value the experience of walking around the various drop off points, especially if you instend to send him to preschool, it will build up his opportunities to get comfy in the environment when he eventually makes that transition.

You'll find a way - and if next week its not working, look again and see how you can tweak it. But definately agree with encouraging independance amongst your school kids - that will save you a whole heap of problems.

lisa1968
27-04-2012, 09:56 PM
tbh i don't think you should need to go in with a reception child now-theyre in their last term so should know what theyre doing.They manage on their own all day when youre not there!!

stargazer1
28-04-2012, 08:12 AM
In my daughters primary school, the infants (up to the end of age 7) are in a secure part of the school and parents are expected to escort them in to the class every morning. Luckily the hallways are wide so buggies are not a problem. But I just wanted to point out to everyone that says that 5 year old should be able to do things for themselves, I agree re hanging the coats up etc, but I much prefer that I take my daughter to her class, and know that she is safe in the class. The juniors all play out in the playground, more often than not the gates are left open as parents are in and out, and I hate the thought of what could potentially happen if the children were left to take themselves in. The main school doors are open until the bell goes, so even if we were to take infants to the school doors, there is no guarantee that they would stay there.

VINASOL
28-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Do you think it's time to perhaps contact the HT/school governors to say basically what they are doing isn't practical/appropriate anymore? That's the best way forward isn't it?

Seriously, most schools tell children it's time to get coats/bags etc (and some help those who need more help) and send them on their merry way to their parents. Isn't this part of PSED?

My 5yr old has been capable of putting shoes on/coats/etc on herself since she was 3; mindee older than my DD has always struggled and we are generally the last to leave BUT she has to learn to do it herself (with help from teachers) and I stand outside come rain or shine with my 3 little mindees and simply wait.

If there are lots of other parents doing the same, then surely you can all chat about leaving children unattended/safeguarding and make the school change its policy.

angeldelight
28-04-2012, 08:44 AM

Hi Amanda

You will not have been the only one to do this and will not be the last, I have seen lots of childminders do it and have cringed.

You are new and you are learning and you have learnt here, the most important thing is that you have admitted it, listened to the mom, and done something about it , well done to you :clapping:

The mom in question obviously knows you are a good minder and that is why she was nice and helpful about it.

Hope you feel better now it is sorted out

Angel xx