PDA

View Full Version : Whats ok and not??

DiverBabe
02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm geting ready to send of my app to Ofsted (eventually plucked the courage up to do it!) and have a few questions as to whether items are ok.
If any of you would kindly answer some then this would be a great help - there are a few though!:blush:

Does a glass tv stand need to have a film put on it?

Are kitchen bar stools ok?

I have a lock on the inside of the toilet door will this need to be removed? I presume so

Will I need to have childrens table and chairs for the pre reg visit? My little one is using a high chair - would I wait to see how old mindees are I have before buying? I do have a low table (wooden) for activites and eating but no chairs

Wasn't going to reg sons room but where would be ok to do nappy changes and store changing stuff?

Also do I have to reg dining room if needing to walk through to access lounge and kitchen/play room but won't actually be using it for anything else?

Thank you for taking the time to read my message, a few stupid questions prehaps but what I can't find answers to

Xx

avril
02-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi

Yes you will need safety film on any glass doors/cupboards

Not too sure about bar stools, but shouldn't see a problem.

Yes, I had to remove the lock from my toilet door

Would be useful to have a separate room for nappies for when they are very smelly!!!

I just use my main dining room table for all activities and eating along with x2 high chairs.

You may well have to register dining room, inspector will be best to advise you on this.

Good luck :thumbsup:

sarah707
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Avril has given you good advice - just wanted to wish you luck!

The inspector will answer a lot of your questions at your pre-reg, so you can safely send in your forms without worrying about everything just yet :D

katickles
02-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I think if you are changing nappies in your sons room you will need to register it.

I didn't want to regster my dining room - but at my pre-reg i was advised to. Simply because if i wanted to in the future i saves all the messing about with ofsted. Also i can use the room as a quiet area/sleeps for the travel cot :)

littlesprogs
02-06-2008, 04:59 PM
I have a lock on my bathroom door and wasnt advised to remove it. If i need to i can open it from the outside with a 50p piece though lol

Twinkles
02-06-2008, 05:09 PM
The lock on the bathroom door should be ok. As with everything do a risk assessment. I did one and concluded that taking into consideration the privacy needs of the older children I would need a lock on the door.

manjay
02-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I compromised with my toilet lock and moved it high up. This wasn't a requirement from my inspector just peace of mind for me. Didn't fancy spending the day sitting outside the bathroom pleading with a 3 year old to open the door:rolleyes:

My tv stand has glass shelves but they are toughened glass so didn't need to do anything with that.

Kitchen bar stools should be ok unless they can be climbed on to reach something dangerous.

I would say you would have to reg your dining room if the mindees are going to be in it at all, even just walking through.

I do have my sons room registered but never use it. for me it would be impractical to traipse them all upstairs for one of them to have a nappy change. I use the utlity or the hall (to protect privacy) with the door open and leave the others where I can hear them.

I didn't have a childrens table and chair for my pre reg and tbh not all minders have them. For littlies I prefer booster seats at the main table as they are fastened in and can't escape, also don't take up much storage space.

angeldelight
02-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

breezy
02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Thers nothing I can add except good luck

DiverBabe
02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all your replies -I think this place is fab - I have gained more info from here than from my CIS!!:laughing:

I will assess the lock, bar stools and anythng else that pops in my mind in the early hours of the morning!
Now I have decided to send off my app I can't help but think about all the possible faults the inspector may find and what I can do to make my home as safe as possible, which I suppose is not a bad thing!

Am I right in thiniking that a risk assesment and actions arising from can be done on the same document? Then when assesed again in the future will be referenced to?

There is so much to do policies, risk assesments, standards ............
Can't wait until I am up and running
X

brillminder
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
dont stress to much check your glass tv stand for safety symbles will have if toughened glass see what they say but if you rish assess you should be fine , i dont have small tables & chairs and got out standing :)

JazzyL
02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
If you really want table/chairs etc, maybe baby toys if your own children are older and you don't yet have any or any other items you think you might want in the future, you can write up a 'wish list' to show the inspector which is a good way of letting them know that you are considering different ages of possible mindees and it doesn't mean that you actually have to buy things that you might not use. . . . hope that makes sense :)
Good luck :thumbsup: