PDA

View Full Version : Husband driving - help please

littletreasures
24-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Our dog is in a champ dog show on 1st June. The breeder is taking him in to the ring for us as we don't know what we need to do.

I have 2 school aged children on that day and they have an inset day. I thought it would be nice for the children to go to the dog show.

My husband would drive, but is that allowed. He is insured for business use but he says that's for his business not for childminding.

Do you think he's covered or not?

Heaven Scent
25-04-2012, 04:31 AM
Call your insurance company but I'm sure it will be fine - I know lots of minders who use normal business use for their car insurance - its fine - I have my car covered with MM because its more comprehensive in that I get a replacement 7 seater and other extras that I would need but other companies don't provide but I also have DH's car covered for business use on his policy in the case of an emergency or if my car is off the road and that its fine for either of us to drive either car with mindees in it.

Cammie Doodle
25-04-2012, 06:54 AM
I don't drive , so Hubby does all the driving ,our insurance company knows that he carries Mindees in his car I have written permission from parents to take children in his car on outings/ he also does school pick ups now as the council have removed our school bus :angry:
Good luck to your dog and I think Mindees will love the day out :)

rickysmiths
25-04-2012, 07:16 AM
You must make sure he has business use that covers the minded children. If he already has business cover but not for minding does that mean he has a car as part of his work?

If so I suspect that he would actually be not allowed to use it in connection with any other business and so your mindees would not be covered and I would not take them in that car.

Could you not use your car and you do the driving for the day or your hubby as long as he is on your car insurance.

rickysmiths
25-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Call your insurance company but I'm sure it will be fine - I know lots of minders who use normal business use for their car insurance - its fine - I have my car covered with MM because its more comprehensive in that I get a replacement 7 seater and other extras that I would need but other companies don't provide but I also have DH's car covered for business use on his policy in the case of an emergency or if my car is off the road and that its fine for either of us to drive either car with mindees in it.

Maybe I have read this the wrong way but it infers that if you are not covered by MM then your insurance will not cover you fully for minding. MM do charge extra to cover for a bigger hire car, their normal policy does not cover this and you can elect to pay extra for this cover on most insurance policies.

I was with MM last year and the hiked the premium on renewal by over £100. I had had no accidents and I have been driving for 40 years with only 3 accidents in that time none my fault :rolleyes: I have found cover with a high street company for less than I paid MM last year and they cover me for all the same things and there is no limit on child seat replacement after an accident and there was with MM!

VeggieSausage
25-04-2012, 08:00 AM
My husband and I have business insurance on our car and it didn't cost any more than the normal insurance, phone your company it may not make a difference in cost.....

Mouse
25-04-2012, 08:03 AM
I would phone your insurance company to check.

When we queried it we were told that DH didn't need business insurance as it was my business, not his. It's the same if friends give you a lift with mindees. They don't need business insurance as it's not their business.
It turned out DH already had business cover anyway, but I guess different insurance companies say different things, so check with yours.

QualityCare
25-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Check with your insurer and your husbands, my husband has business use on his works car (owned by his company) but he is not allowed to use it at weekends or for his own personal use when not working.

littletreasures
29-04-2012, 04:01 PM
My husband doesn't have a company car. The insurance company automatically put business use for him as well as me.

He said if I charge Mum for the day he can't drive as it's my business. I thought if I get written permission from Mum that she is happy for him to drive we will be ok.

I hate driving on motorways and get very nervous about doing it, so would be far happier for him to drive.

kindredspirits
29-04-2012, 04:30 PM
your husband is wrong. My DH does ALL the driving for me with mindees in the car so that I can concentrate on them and not the road. As long as he is insured for class 1 business use it doesn't matter what the business is (or that it is not his business.)

*Katrina*
30-04-2012, 02:34 PM
I would phone your insurance company to check.

When we queried it we were told that DH didn't need business insurance as it was my business, not his. It's the same if friends give you a lift with mindees. They don't need business insurance as it's not their business.
It turned out DH already had business cover anyway, but I guess different insurance companies say different things, so check with yours.

Is this right? I don't drive but my husband does. He works full-time at my son's school (teaching assistant) so wouldn't really be available to drive us other than in the school holidays...but that would be great for taking us on special trips further afield.