PDA

View Full Version : variation 2 under 1????

sharonmanc
24-04-2012, 04:47 PM
has anyone new to childminding had a variation for 2 under 1.
I have just started and have a little girl, but now another family who did not want care until later in the year, need care to start in 2 weeks and want me to have their little one. Just wondering if anyone new to childminding got granted a variation with being so new, and it not being continuity of care.

I called ofsted and explained and they emailed me the form which i am now trying to fill in.

having these 2 plus my own would be perfect for me

any help, pointers etc, would he appreciated

Sharon

Smiley
24-04-2012, 05:18 PM
This could be quite difficult although you may be allowed if you are still within your numbers. It is when we request an additional child that Ofsted are very strict about and insist it has to be a family we already have, perhaps due to an additional sibling therefore continuity of care.
Good luck with your request

Pandypops
24-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi - I got one after only minding for 3 months, but they did send someone round to check my premises/ask questions/see if I was up to it as I hadn't had an inspection at that point.

They granted it fine and have let me keep it even though I no longer need it at the current moment.

Just make sure you outline what equipment you have and how you would manage both under 1's in terms of outings, sleep, feeding etc...

Good luck with it :)

Mouse
24-04-2012, 05:22 PM
I agree with Smiley, having a variation for 2 children under 1 is looked at differently to having a variation for increasing your numbers of EY children and doesn't need to be for continuity of care.

It's much more likely to be granted if you can show how you will meet the children's needs, how you will plan your day, what experience you have, etc etc.

Some people have it put on their certificate from the very beginning (ie. if they have a family lined up), so it can be done early on.

sharonmanc
24-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks you for the replies, I am allowed 5 children as I have my daughter who is almost 3. and 2 in the early years, so these would be my 2 in the early years, so i woudl not need to increase my numbers.

I was just wondering what i woudl put in risk assessment as i feel I am repeating myself, as i have put my daily routine and explained how i woudl manage children, which is basically a risk assessment, or does the risk assessment have to be totally different. I dont like this form.

Mouse
24-04-2012, 05:32 PM
On my last variation request under the risk assessment part I put that I had sufficient floor space for the children to play safely, that I had sufficient age appropriate equipment at that they would not use equipment that wasn't suitable, that in an emergency I would pick up 2 children and the other one would walk to leave the house, that I am well aware of dangers posed to babies (such as cot death and choking) and would check babies regularly when sleeping and ensure they were not able to get at small objects.

To be honest, I just waffled & repeated myself a few times!

sharonmanc
24-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Thank you Mouse. I am waffling a lot, but trying not to put tnnes of stuff, i have basically put an itinerary f my day and for each part siad how I would cope with taking too and from school , naps, feeding age preparing food in advance etc.

did you mention making your own bathroom trips and taking babies with you and placing in travel cot upstairs etc. I dont want then to think i am going to place them in the travel cot constantly as that is nto my intention but it is a usefull tool when you need 2 minutes to do something

Mouse
24-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't use travel cots, but do have infant car seats that I strap them into when I need to. I didn't specifically say that on my form, but it wouldn't do any harm for you to. They're basically looking to see that you have thought of everything and that shows that you have :thumbsup: