PDA

View Full Version : very quick advice needed

moogster1a
24-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Just gone to school pick up to find one of the kids doesn't get back from school trip till half five. Mum never mentioned this. His sister said she had the letter but mum must have lost it. I've just 'phoned mum to say I can't go back at that time to get him and she seemed really stuck as she couldn't leave work early etc.
If I really made an effort I could do it, but TBH realy don't want to interrupt dinner time and get all the kids in car again then out etc. especially as it's bang on the time one f them gets picked up.
Am I being mean 'cos I'm annoyed she never mentioned he'd be 2 hours late back to school.

Bridey
24-04-2012, 03:08 PM
No, you are not being mean. Mum should have not only told you about this, she should have ASKED you if it was convenient for you to pick him up or not. I agree that you cannot collect this child. She is going to have to collect him herself or organise someone else (like her emergency contact or another school mum) to collect him.

How has it been left?

moogster1a
24-04-2012, 03:11 PM
She's trying to get in touch with her sister, but what shall I say if she 'phones back and says there's literally no one else to get him?

BucksCM
24-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Just gone to school pick up to find one of the kids doesn't get back from school trip till half five. Mum never mentioned this. His sister said she had the letter but mum must have lost it. I've just 'phoned mum to say I can't go back at that time to get him and she seemed really stuck as she couldn't leave work early etc.
If I really made an effort I could do it, but TBH realy don't want to interrupt dinner time and get all the kids in car again then out etc. especially as it's bang on the time one f them gets picked up.
Am I being mean 'cos I'm annoyed she never mentioned he'd be 2 hours late back to school.

Mmmm...difficult one. Personally, if it was me, I would try to ring the mum that picks up at 5.30 and explain the situation, ask her if it would be ok to pick other child up at this time(as it's the same time she comes) and would she mind waiting. If she says no then what can you do? But if she says yes, then ring other mum back explaining that you have made arrangements to go out and pick her child up for her. Today, there will be no extra charge, but in the future there will be.
Hopefully, she will realise the situation she's put you in and not do it again!

I always try to work around things like this while also letting parents know that I'm not happy about it...iykwim? That way , i come out looking good as I have gone out of my way to accommodate them, but at the same time letting them know i don't want the situation repeated.

Hope you sort it out...

Another idea is see if someone else can drop lo to you, with mum's permission.

Bridey
24-04-2012, 03:25 PM
She's trying to get in touch with her sister, but what shall I say if she 'phones back and says there's literally no one else to get him?

Then really you have no choice but try and organise it your end, as Rickysmith has suggested above, making sure the mum knows how much trouble this has caused you, the other mindees and the other parent.

AliceK
24-04-2012, 03:32 PM
For me it would be absolutely not possible to go back to school for 5.30 so I would make sure mum understands that and leave her to make arrangements. It might sound harsh but really it's not your problem (sorry am not in a good mood this afternoon :blush: )

xxx

moogster1a
24-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Mum just 'phoned to say another mum will pick up whose lo is on the same trip. Feel a bit mean for stressing her out but why did she not notice he would be 2 hours late!

Bridey
24-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Don't feel mean - I think you were just as stressed to be honest!

Mouse
24-04-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm afraid I would have left it for mum to sort out & wouldn't even have thought about going back out at 5.30pm!

JCrakers
24-04-2012, 04:35 PM
For me it wouldn't be possible. I don't have a car for work and that would mean dragging all the kids 15mims walk back to school when theyve already walked back.
I would just have said I couldn't do it and at the end of the day it's not really my problem.... :blush: she should have read the letter properly...ooo I am a meanie

wendywu
24-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Sorry but I would not have gone back, mum must have known :blush:

gigglinggoblin
24-04-2012, 05:34 PM
I dont really see how its different a cm having to rearrange a pick up and dinner time than it is for mum to get out of work early. I assume 'work' isnt code for 'prison' or anything so its the same thing imo.