PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage school runs?

Helen Dempster
24-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi all - as the title says really. I find school runs are my most stressful time of the day! I don't have many mindees (by choice), but I know some of you have up to 12 mindees, and I just wondered how you actually COPE with that many???

I had an enquiry today for an 8m old full-timer, which would be ideal as I'm about to lose my only full-timer (this week's his last week with me) :-( But I will also have my own DS (5yo) and two 3yo girls in the morning. I have a 6yo and a 10yo after school. I've got a double buggy, but it would mean one of the girls walking to school and it's quite a way for little legs, and I probably wouldn't get there til going home time! I can only fit the double buggy in the car if I put one of the seats down, which is do-able in the morning but not after school.

I'm rambling now, sorry. How do you all manage????

Bridey
24-04-2012, 01:22 PM
In a nutshell - I don't take on more than I manage! I have up to 8 afterschoolers but I live a short walk from two schools and don't have little ones.

You are doing the right thing sorting this out in your head before you take the job on. If you can't find a way for it to work - logistically & safety wise- then you just have to not take on the job or hand notice to a part-timer or the after schoolers in favour of taking on the higher paying family. Not ideal I know.

You've mentioned you already have a full timer so how are you managing at the moment to do all this?

mindingmummy
24-04-2012, 01:32 PM
I do the school run in the afternoon by car.

Mainly because I have a school run at the same time as one full timer gets picked up so don't have time to walk with 6 kids.

I do find it the hardest part of the day. Im counting down now...half hour and I'll have to get off the sofa and wake up the little ones. Lets hope we dont get soaked like yesterday!

jumping j
24-04-2012, 01:33 PM
I have 1 year old and 2 year old in double buggy and two good walking 2 year olds walking next to the buggy either holding the buggy or on reins.
It's stressfull but do able, I do get a few looks/behind the hand whispers and a parent actually rang up a mum of one lo and asked if she knew I had so many (4 boys) mum laughed and said 2 were hers and 2 were her friends so yes she did know!!!
I've considered a buggy board but can't find one to attach to my buggy and can't afford a new double just yet:rolleyes:
I must say we do a lot of practise walking over short distances and I'm sick of saying nice walking boys, well done. but it seems to work

Mouse
24-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I have no intention of getting a triple buggy, so if I can't manage with the double pushchair & children walking, I don't do it.

My mindees all tend to walk by the age of 2, but I have one at the moment who is nearly 3 but can't manage the school run. WIth him & a baby in the buggy I wouldn't take on another non-walker for that day.

mushpea
24-04-2012, 01:51 PM
I dont do them at the moment but I used to have up to 8 children on a school run, from 2yrs old I get them out of the buggy and slowly build up how far they walk , in your situation I would either drive to school with a single buggy in the back for the baby and the 2 3yrolds could walk beside either on reins or wrist straps to start with then when you know you can trust them not to run off I would just get them to hold the buggy OR I would have double buggy with a buggy board but encourage the 2 3yrolds to then walk back from the school run to build up their walking distance and speed.

JCrakers
24-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Some days I do wonder to myself actually :laughing:

Days vary for me
Mons is 3,6,8 yr old
Tues is 3,5,6,8,8,9,9
Weds is 3,4,6,8,8,9,9
Thurs is 1,2,3,4,6,8,8
Fri no one as I don't do school run

Once you get to know the children and their capabilities,how sensible they are or not and their personalities it's all pretty easy
Thursday's is my hardest as I have a variation for 4 under 5 so I'm always knackered thurs eve.
The 3yr old is a good walker as I don't have a car so we walk everywhere. She walks to school and back twice a day,it's a 15min walk..so half an hour there and back.

samb
24-04-2012, 06:35 PM
I have maximum of 5 (which includes my own 2). My daughter is the only schoolie. My son and another 3yr old have pre school pick ups (different pre schools 5 mins walk apart). So... I have 3 or 4 schools runs mon-thurs. On the days when I do 4 pick ups I have to use the car for at least 1 sometimes 2 of them as i couldn't manage the walks and eating or sleeping etc in between. The 2 youngest are 11 months (in the buggy) and 26 months. The 26 month old goes home before the last school run but he now walks the first school run and possibly 1 more school run on the same day or he goes in the bottom seat of the buggy. The 3 yr olds both walk everywhere. I got this buggy about a year ago and the 3 yr olds have been in it about 2-3 times each when I first got it as it was novelty and they wanted a turn! So they would have both been 2. Getting up to school or either of the pre schools takes 15 minutes - at quite a quick pace. When the 2 yr old walks I make sure we have at least 20 minutes to get there.

The Juggler
24-04-2012, 09:26 PM
i have a double buggy or triple but both my 3 year olds walk. they have since september when only 2 1/2. we just leave early and leave plenty of time for little legs walking :thumbsup:

Demonjill
24-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Up here we are not allowed mad numbers of children 6 under 16 at most (or 8 in some cases) so wouldnt be an issue

I do the school run but its mainly for my own DS who i love picking up from school etc

I have one other schoolie 1 day a week and 2 sets of 4/5 year olds and a 9m old who ever need to come with me on school run - school is not un walkable but i take car as i dont want DS being tired before he starts his school work:)