PDA

View Full Version : Would you join a union?

ajs
24-04-2012, 08:21 AM
While at the TES Exhibition I was talking to a lady from UNISON who said that we as childminders could join.
Financially it would cost next to nothing as it's earnings related so you tell them what you declare to the tax man.
Would you join if you thought we'd get more support then we get through NCMA, MM or any of the other organisations. although we would still need to be members of them for our insurance and resources.

My worry would be that we would be expected to strike if they called one. but other then that i saw no negatives to joining

Bridey
24-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Nope! I run my own business and the last thing I need is yet another body to answer to, especially one that isn't run by childminders for childminders. That's the reason I recently left the NCMA!

Mouse
24-04-2012, 08:33 AM
I don't know without looking into it further.

I have to be honest, I am pretty anti-union, but I do think we need some sort of body to back us up when we need it. We don't seem to get that from NCMA :(

Seeing posts on here about malicious complaints and false allegataion, and the way we are treated, makes me think we should have a forceful body to help us when we need it.

I'll be interested to hear what other think.

AliceK
24-04-2012, 08:36 AM
I don't know without looking into it further.

I have to be honest, I am pretty anti-union, but I do think we need some sort of body to back us up when we need it. We don't seem to get that from NCMA :(

Seeing posts on here about malicious complaints and false allegataion, and the way we are treated, makes me think we should have a forceful body to help us when we need it.

I'll be interested to hear what other think.

I agree completely with what you've said. Providing we are not expected to strike then I think it may be a good move :thumbsup:

xxxx

AgentTink
24-04-2012, 08:36 AM
I would love to be part of a union who truly understood childminders and the help and support we need.

I am not sure that current unions would be able to support us all that much.

For example I just looked at unisons top ten reasons to join, and as a self employed childminder I don't think any of these reason would apply to us.

ajs
24-04-2012, 08:39 AM
I dont neccessarily mean UNISON though, it's just them i was talking to about it.
We really need something as currently we have no suppoort when it goes wrong for us

Mouse
24-04-2012, 08:47 AM
I dont neccessarily mean UNISON though, it's just them i was talking to about it.
We really need something as currently we have no suppoort when it goes wrong for us

That's what I think. When things go wrong, we really are on our own. I read on hear some of the awful problems people have and realise that the forum is the only help and support some people get (not just the only help, but probably the best help!). Any support from NCMA, MM or Ofsted seems very hit & miss. I wonder if some people would be treated the way they are if they had the backing of a powerful union?

AgentTink
24-04-2012, 08:52 AM
That's what I think. When things go wrong, we really are on our own. I read on hear some of the awful problems people have and realise that the forum is the only help and support some people get (not just the only help, but probably the best help!). Any support from NCMA, MM or Ofsted seems very hit & miss. I wonder if some people would be treated the way they are if they had the backing of a powerful union?

I agree wholeheartedly with this. If we had more support it would stop some of us being being treated the way we currently are.

Bridey
24-04-2012, 08:54 AM

Oh I see! If it was something that had childminder's interests at the heart of its strategy then yes, I would be interested in finding out more.

Gherkin
24-04-2012, 09:00 AM
I would join if I was sure that it had childminders best interests at heart. But again I would not want to strike as to be quite honest then I wouldn't get paid. However if there was a body who was clearly supporting us and our needs I would join in an instant as long as it didn't cost the earth.

NCMA are losing the plot in my opinion. They have also taken to telling their volunteer facilitators who deal with their Local scheme that they have to attend training on a saturday regardless of what other plans they have in their life. Personally I think volunteers should be asked not told but thats me going off the subject.

sarah707
24-04-2012, 09:55 AM
I think we are desperately in need of a body which properly and robustly represents childminders.

Whether that is a union or something similar I don't know but as a minimum it should be made up of childminders (current or past) who understand what we do and the devastation caused when things go wrong.

:D

ajs
24-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I think we are desperately in need of a body which properly and robustly represents childminders.

Whether that is a union or something similar I don't know but as a minimum it should be made up of childminders (current or past) who understand what we do and the devastation caused when things go wrong.

:D

Agree totally:laughing: