PDA

View Full Version : Fees going up, potentially, help me write a letter, please.

mandy moo
23-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Ok, so in the 4 years Ive been minding Ive not put my fees up (I charge £4 per hour)
I went to a childminders meeting last week, there were minders there from my village and the neighbouring one.
All, apart from 1, who charges the same as myself (and she says shes happy with this and wont be charging more any time soon) charge more than me, ranging from £4.25 - £5.50.

I would like to put my fees up, We live in a reasonably afflluent area, and my 3 lots of parents all have good jobs (although I appreciate I dont know their financial circumstances) but with the economy as it is at the moment, food bills etc being so more expensive, I really have no idea how to broach the subject..
I also pick 1 LO up from school which is a 3.6 mile round journey, I havent charged anything up till now as again didnt know how too :o No back bone me :blush: I need to start charging for this, as diesel is so bloomin expensive at the mo, and unfortunatly I dont drive small car its a big un..

So if you lovley folks could give me some ideas as what to say to my parents in my letter, I would really appreciate it.
Thanx

Bridey
23-04-2012, 02:30 PM
I don't think you are allowed to charge for collection by car. You can charge your hourly rate for the time from when you leave the house but if you charge for petrol costs etc then I believe that implies you are a taxi and you will be required to meet all the insurances and regulations of a taxi driver.

~Grasshopper~
23-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi

ive just wrote my letters today, i am adding 50p an hour and £5 to the daily rate.

i have done a newsletter and wrote that i am having to increases my fee's, after doing my tax return i have realised i am making no profits so i either increase my fee's or return to work. Then i have done a letter per family with the new prices on and how much is due weekly ect, i have wrote that i will also be charging a late payment fee and when i must be paid by as well as clarifying a few things, my opening hours ect.
i intend giving the parents a copy to keep and one to sign and date for my contract.

xx

BucksCM
23-04-2012, 05:29 PM
I do a covering letter with my parent questionaire each year and in it I cover
1. are all the contact numbers the same?
2. same emergency contact and number?
3. any updated policies/procedures to sign.
4. notice of change to rates
Get them to sign both copies, keep 1 for their file and return the other one to me for my file. I do put on the letter that it is an amendment to the contract already in place.

Like **Suz** I would write that due to the ever increasing cost of living, petrol etc that I have to increase my fees. ..giving 4 weeks notice(minimum) and then the date that the fee change comes into effect.

funemnx
23-04-2012, 05:39 PM
I put mine up every year by a little bit. I usually hand out my holidays for the year in Jan/Feb and at the bottom put "As of April 1st my rates will change to £** per hour in line with current childminding practice"

Or you could put it at the bottom of their invoices? :thumbsup:

I don't believe you need to explain the rising cost of everything when increasing your prices, after all most businesses don't explain why, they just do!

mushpea
23-04-2012, 06:58 PM
I have put mine up but am not charging the children I have at the moment anymore but will just use the price increase with new clients, the children I have at the moment have all been with me at least 2yrs and one of them alomst 3yrs and so as a goodwill gesture I will not be putting their fees up.