PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Living

Pipsqueak
02-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Its getting frightening isn't it!!! The car tax went out on the 31st May and we can't afford to retax - 6months is £120:eek: . Think I am going to have to leave it off the road or at least take the business part of it and not use if for work. My insurance with business on is £550 (I had been on Brians insurance for a long while before that), to fill up the tank is £80.
And with not working none of this is viable anymore:panic: :panic:

Brian filled his works van up the other day and it was £125.00 (double:eek:)

My shopping bill has gone up at least £20 (even more :eek:)

The utility bills are soaring - its really worrying:panic: :panic:

Need to find some work or look at going back out to work in the evenings/nights!!!

foxy lady
02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
oh dont even start me on this one
luckly i doing ok with the childminding and bringing in a good wage but i dont manage to save anything
it just silly:eek: :eek: :eek:
hope you get lots of work soon
sending you some good luck your way

katickles
02-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Yeah i'm in the same position.

I have been doing so much advertising & its not bringing anything in really. I was supposed to have a visit at 10am this morning. It was an enquiry I had a while back I rang her to say i had vancancies if still interested but she didn't turn up. I rang to see if she was still coming & had maybe forgotten, it turns out lo was poorly in the night. She said she'll call when better so i guess we'll wait & see.

I am so desparate for mindees - and am even more gutted now as a enquiry i had ages ago that i passed onto my friend because of my niece starting in Oct now, has started with her this morning & the hours are much better 7:30 - 1:30 so i could have probably done it afterall!!!:panic:

All i will say is that we all just need to keep our fingers crossed, walk as much as poss & just hope that we get calls so we can pay our bills.

I really hope your phone starts ringing none stop & that you fill your vacancies soon. x

littlesprogs
02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I know what you mean. Our car tax is due in August so were putting money aside for it now as we know its going to be expensive!

Our car insurance is £1100 a year for a renault laguna 1.6 and thats without business on it!

We filled up the tank at the weekend and it is £65!

Our shopping bill was £200 the other day and thats for 2 of us for a month!

At the minute we only just manage on hubbys wage to pay the bills etc but whenever something unexpected comes up we cant afford it! But now I am working although its only £360 a month it is helping loads!

Vik dont forget to declare your car as off-road if you decide to do that or you will be fined!

Twinkles
02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't know how we'd manage if I wasn't working.
Our car is £65 to fill with petrol, our food bill is usually £200 per week and the gas and electricity bills are ridiculous.
My mortgage repayments would scare you they are so huge.
I had always assumed finances would be a bit easier when I got to my age but nothing is improving.

Rubybubbles
02-06-2008, 12:18 PM
I know what you mean. Our car tax is due in August so were putting money aside for it now as we know its going to be expensive!

Our car insurance is £1100 a year for a renault laguna 1.6 and thats without business on it!
We filled up the tank at the weekend and it is £65!

Our shopping bill was £200 the other day and thats for 2 of us for a month!

At the minute we only just manage on hubbys wage to pay the bills etc but whenever something unexpected comes up we cant afford it! But now I am working although its only £360 a month it is helping loads!

Vik dont forget to declare your car as off-road if you decide to do that or you will be fined!

good grief! hubby has an laguna estate 1.8 and no way pays that much! it is because your hubby is so young? Business insurance for childminders doesn't normally cost much if anything extra HTH, I only paid for the admin fee

littlesprogs
02-06-2008, 12:24 PM
It's because hes only 21 and has no no claims. It's even worse if he puts me on it so will cost even more once i pass my test

Rubybubbles
02-06-2008, 12:25 PM
It's because hes only 21 and has no no claims. It's even worse if he puts me on it so will cost even more once i pass my test

I thought it would be because he was a spring chicken in age lol,

katickles
02-06-2008, 12:26 PM
OMG £1100 for a years insurance - ouch!

littlesprogs
02-06-2008, 12:26 PM
yea hes been driving 3 years though.

wendywu
02-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Gosh that an amazing amount of money.:panic:

foxy lady
02-06-2008, 12:47 PM
omg i think you be better with a horse and cart :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
02-06-2008, 12:49 PM
omg i think you be better with a horse and cart :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hey I am up for that - know anyone who has got one????:laughing:

littlesprogs
02-06-2008, 12:49 PM

Would we need a permission form? How would the car seats fit in? I think i would need a 'horse and cart policy' lol:laughing:

Trouble
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
my mortgages just gone up after a fixed rate £70 a month

i cant believe the price of everything we will be walking alot more from now on to

i have just told a mother of a mindee we will be walking tomoprrow and she said oh the weather is going to be bad so what get some waterproofs!!!!!!!!!!!!! the car was never part of the contract!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry:

jaja
02-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Would we need a permission form? How would the car seats fit in? I think i would need a 'horse and cart policy' lol:laughing:

Hey dont forget the wheelbarrow for collecting the horses droppings or you will be getting a big fine!!!!!!!!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

katickles
02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Thats true - look at the thread recently where lo's were in the rain & now mums going mad:rolleyes:

I'm sure we'll all have policies for walking wth lo's in the rain soon :panic:

littlesprogs
02-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Hey dont forget the wheelbarrow for collecting the horses droppings or you will be getting a big fine!!!!!!!!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I will put it down as an expense :D

Rubybubbles
02-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I can see the school and pre-school from my house it's amazing how many people drive:panic:

I walked to the local koi carp centre about 20 minutes away (walk) had baby and lo 2 in pushchair, did there and back from 9.30-11.30 to pick up dd and had time for an icecream:blush: last week, a few people where like thats far, ffs I can't afford to drive to town let alone 5 mins drive up the road

FizzysFriends
02-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Its the petrol that is doing it for me but we live in a village and the school is too far (and too dangerous, no pavements) to walk and there are no shops in walking distance either.

I think I should be allowed part time car tax if I only use the car for school run and supermarket once a week.

breezy
02-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I will put it down as an expense :D

you could sell the manure on the way home, good for rhubarb, but I prefer custard on mine!
Speak to Flora doesn't she have horses? :laughing:

Trouble
02-06-2008, 01:20 PM
you could sell the manure on the way home, good for rhubarb, but I prefer custard on mine!
Speak to Flora doesn't she have horses? :laughing:

breezy dont you have super powers youll be ok :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

breezy
02-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I do but I cant show anyone cos I dont have a policy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clapping:

MissTinkerbell
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Its definitely the diesel for me too. Can manage to do the weekly shop for 5 of us for about £50-60 but poor LOs have had to resort going to the park or just playing in the garden rather than going out. There's a nice farm down the road which I'm sure wouldn't take too long to walk to but the problem is I have to cross a very busy dual carriageway - hate doing it in the car let alone trying to cross on foot!

Can't wait to get some mindees to bring in some money to treat my little ones. Hubby's wage covers the bills and stuff but would like to treat the children now and then.

littlewonders
02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
I am so glad its not just me, I thought I was going mad.

Car Insurance has gone up along with house insurance even though we have no claims etc.
Gas bil has gone up by £30per month :angry:
Not to mention petrol/shopping /COUNCIL TAX :angry: :angry:

My Car went in today for MOT luckily it passed (I really wasn't expecting it to) We have decided to either get rid or take it off the road for a year too as we can't afford the tax and ins.

Luckily me and OH don't smoke otherwise I think we would be bankrupt! :angry:

custardcream
02-06-2008, 01:55 PM
How do you manage to do your weekly food shop for £60?
I must be doing something wrong, mine is always over £120 per week for 4 of us.
Tips needed.

caza
02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I have just changed from a diesel to a petrol so the fuel is abit cheaper but I have already decided not insure my car for business use. If I dont insure I will have no choice but to not use it and hopefully save some money that way.

Went to do my food shop today and I always used to just pick up the things I need but now I look at the prices of everything. Everything is just getting silly :angry:

Monkey1
02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Just gonbe and re taxed both our cars today. The lady in the post office had to prise my fingers off the cash!:blush:

littlewonders
02-06-2008, 02:31 PM
How do you manage to do your weekly food shop for £60?
I must be doing something wrong, mine is always over £120 per week for 4 of us.
Tips needed.

We do ours for us 4 on £60 a week to :D

I do this by shopping online - we dont have biscuits etc Im a mean mummy hehe! We also sometimes buy the cheaper things :blush: but needs must, as long as we have food in our belly. And ICELAND is a HUGE lifesaver! or money saver hehe

Pipsqueak
02-06-2008, 02:53 PM
i do most of my shop at Aldi/Iceland/Netto. I too buy the cheaper version of things (so long as its a decentish equivelent) and the kids have now been told its eat up or go hungry - no more I don't like etc (not that I particuarly tolerated wasted food anyway).
I can do a shop for approx 5 of us plus 2 dogs for around £70 - as someone said - needs must. I am a "meanie" mummy too - rarely biccies and goodies.

I have made a decision, I am going to take the business use of the car I think, go back on Brians insurance - at least the insurance will come down over half - that way i can't use it for work.

deeb66
02-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't know about a horse and cart but I have definately been using more of the good old fashioned Shanksis Pony (Sp?........my own feet!)

It now costs over £110 to fill up my galaxy which is ridiculous.

I have also noticed the hike in food prices. When I went shopping the other day I noticed that a bag of pasta which cost £0.90 a little whil ago is now £1.29:eek: .

I know it doesn't sound an awful lot but that is for one item only......imagine what is is for all your shopping!!!

I have now made a definate decision to cut down on my food wastage......I am no longer giving the kids fruit, vegetables or so called healthy food that I know they are not going to eat as I am sick and tired of literally throwing my good money in the bin!!!

My car insurance is due at beginning of September.....I hate to imagine what that will be :(

littlewonders
02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't know about a horse and cart but I have definately been using more of the good old fashioned Shanksis Pony (Sp?........my own feet!)

It now costs over £110 to fill up my galaxy which is ridiculous.

I have also noticed the hike in food prices. When I went shopping the other day I noticed that a bag of pasta which cost £0.90 a little whil ago is now £1.29:eek: .

I know it doesn't sound an awful lot but that is for one item only......imagine what is is for all your shopping!!!

I have now made a definate decision to cut down on my food wastage......I am no longer giving the kids fruit, vegetables or so called healthy food that I know they are not going to eat as I am sick and tired of literally throwing my good money in the bin!!!

My car insurance is due at beginning of September.....I hate to imagine what that will be :(

Ilove warburtons bread and onlt the other week I am sure it were 90p and now everywhere you go it £1.30.......£1.30 for a loaf of bread?! And a loaf of bread does not go far with a family of 4 :angry:

I can see why so many are immagrating (sp?) If it weren't for hubby's job I'd be seriously considering it!

custardcream
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Reading my tesco receipt last week I was so shocked to discover that 500g of flora light margarine is £3.08, I used to only pay £1.84

littlesprogs
02-06-2008, 05:14 PM
what i think is stupid that the government are moaning about how many obese children and adults there are but when the price of food goes up they do nothing to help! It's no wonder people feed their children rubbish food its because its so much cheaper!!

Twinkles
02-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Can manage to do the weekly shop for 5 of us for about £50-60

:eek: :eek: I really need to go shopping with you ! I suppose I am shopping for 6 adults so that makes it expensive.

Went to Lidl for the first time in years on Sunday and got loads for about £30 less than my normal Tesco's shop.

Rubybubbles
02-06-2008, 05:56 PM
I've just paid less than £300 on my car insurance on friday first classes business for my grand senic 1.6 which I grabbed at:D

Jinx
02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I can usually keep my weekly food shop at about £80-£90. Thats for 2 adults, 3 teenagers, 1 little un, 1 dog, 1 rabbit and 2 gerbils!

I drive a Vauxhall Zafira and pay £197 a year insurance. Business use is included in that for nothing extra.

Bought veg oil the other day.... used to be 65p now £1.29!!!!

Trouble
02-06-2008, 06:41 PM
ive walked down town 2 in one day and im knackered please put diesel prices down:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

littlewonders
02-06-2008, 06:47 PM
what i think is stupid that the government are moaning about how many obese children and adults there are but when the price of food goes up they do nothing to help! It's no wonder people feed their children rubbish food its because its so much cheaper!!

I have found this to, Salad, fruits fish etc are all so expensive. Since we have been on a health kick we have definately noticed a difference in the bill!

mum22
02-06-2008, 06:50 PM
it is shocking, usually on a saturday night we will have a nice meal - just me and dh as this is our night - on saturday night dh cooked the meatballs from sainsbury;s feed your family for a fiver - they were really yummy - on the website there are 7 recipes so i am going to dedicate a week where that is what we eat and see if this helps with the budget - may have to tweak a few of the ingredients here and there...

x helen

Trouble
02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
it is shocking, usually on a saturday night we will have a nice meal - just me and dh as this is our night - on saturday night dh cooked the meatballs from sainsbury;s feed your family for a fiver - they were really yummy - on the website there are 7 recipes so i am going to dedicate a week where that is what we eat and see if this helps with the budget - may have to tweak a few of the ingredients here and there...

x helen

sounds great but the thing is we only have a sainsburys store here nothing else and they are dear to begin with maybe they should start to lower their prices and others will follow

happy eating

p. s. can your hubby show my hubby how to find the kitchen\!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

mum22
02-06-2008, 06:57 PM
ha ha rascal you can borrow my hubby to cook you a meal , but you will have 1 heck of a mess to clean up in the morning - he uses every spoon, pan and anything else he can find - sploshes sauce aound - in fact more messy than messy time with kids !

but i agree sainsbury;s too expensive :panic: i am a tesco girl myself

x helen

Trouble
02-06-2008, 06:59 PM
ha ha rascal you can borrow my hubby to cook you a meal , but you will have 1 heck of a mess to clean up in the morning - he uses every spoon, pan and anything else he can find - sploshes sauce aound - in fact more messy than messy time with kids !

but i agree sainsbury;s too expensive :panic: i am a tesco girl myself

x helen

me too but i have 1/2 an hour drive to do so i do one massive shop at the time, i love asda but thats an hours drive:( :(

Mollymop
02-06-2008, 07:01 PM
The cost of living is all I moan on about these days. It is getting ridiculous.
The utility and food bills annoy me the most. I used to spend around 60 - 80 a week on my shopping but now it is hard to get it under £90.

Talking of car insurance(what littlesprogs put) - when darren was 24 he had a 3-door sierra cosworth and that cost us £2500 a year to insure (£250 a month)
But that was when we were "rich", i used to earn alot in those days.

Trouble
02-06-2008, 07:07 PM
The cost of living is all I moan on about these days. It is getting ridiculous.
The utility and food bills annoy me the most. I used to spend around 60 - 80 a week on my shopping but now it is hard to get it under £90.

Talking of car insurance(what littlesprogs put) - when darren was 24 he had a 3-door sierra cosworth and that cost us £2500 a year to insure (£250 a month)
But that was when we were "rich", i used to earn alot in those days.

its the type of car it was very nickable m wanted one but the insurance put him off:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: