PDA

View Full Version : Trying to be helpful but running a business

annie annie
22-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi all I have a parent who was receiving childcare tax credits which have now been stopped. The parent suggested paying me half pay in the school holidays to keep the space available and will send child to grandparents, but may use me on some of the days, I am thinking this would be a good idea and the parent would then pay the extra per day if I have the child, I have said that I would need notice when I would have her as we have outings planned in the holiday. What do you all think? and could you suggest any other ways she could save money? (without me missing out too much)
Thank you

Bridey
22-04-2012, 05:50 PM
She is basically asking for a term time contract with a half fee retainer for holidays. This is perfect acceptable and how a lot of minders work. However, if you take a retainer then you must be available for any day that she needs you (unless you are officially 'on holiday', in which case you can't charge a retainer for that period). However you could ask for a reasonable notice (eg a week) of what days she needs you so you can plan in advance. However, any day you can't take her children, no matter how short the notice, you can't charge the retainer.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry yourself about how to save her more money than this - if she's had her tax credit stopped then she's earning more than you are! The only other option she may have would be to find out if her company offers a childcare voucher scheme.

annie annie
23-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Hi Thank you for your reply my concern was that if I charge a retainer in the holidays I maybe asked to have the child the next day when we already have things planned (so really I am unavailable) I have suggested to mum if we do a seaside, cinema trip etc I will give her as much notice as possible then up to her if pays the extra for that particular day. I have given her my main holidays (4 weeks) which I charge half fee that I know most childminders do in this area, do you think I am wrong? Thanks

Mouse
23-04-2012, 10:06 AM
If I charge a retainer for holidays I make it clear that parents need to give me at least a weeks notice if the child is going to attend or not. I explain that I make plans according to which children I have & it doesn't work if parents try phoning the day before to say their child will be coming.

I tell them that retainer keeps their place available, but if they want to use it they have to book their child in at least the week before.

You have to convince them it's a compromise - they get reduced fees, but you don't have children dropped on you unexpectedly.

annie annie
23-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Thank you I will try and convince them lol!

Mouse
23-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Thank you I will try and convince them lol!

It's the way you word it! You need to tell them that you are willing to help out/take a drop in earnings to help them out, but that in return you will need them to tell you in advance when lo will be attending :thumbsup:

ziggy
23-04-2012, 10:33 AM
one of my parents is a teacher, i have her boys 4 days during term time, she pays half fees retainer during holidays. During the summer holidays (2months here) she sends them 2 days and pays retainer other 2 days but we decide in advance which days they will attend so i can make plans.

I understand that i am available to her if she is paying retainer but then dont feel its fair on others attending during holidays to not be able to go on outings etc.

I think you are being more than fair in agreeing to help her out and expecting prior notice if she wants to send them during holidays

Bridey
23-04-2012, 10:33 AM
It's the way you word it! You need to tell them that you are willing to help out/take a drop in earnings to help them out, but that in return you will need them to tell you in advance when lo will be attending :thumbsup:

Exactly! You are taking a drop in earnings to help them after all.

kel1983
23-04-2012, 11:49 AM
We dont charge a retainer for holidays as we have children that come holidays only. We dont feel we can charge a retainer if there is no space available if they did want any days during the hols