PDA

View Full Version : BANK HOLIDAYS?? PUBLIC HOLIDAYS??

Demonjill
22-04-2012, 02:44 PM
so Bank holidays are days banks and some other businesses are closed
and public holidays are holidays which have been observed through custom and practice. Ok ive got that

But are you closed all bank hols and all public hols and how do you word this?
I am just compiling my latest newsletter and wanted to remind parents of the dates of these.
i am happy to work these holidays but at an enhanced rate per hour but if parents choose not to send their child they will still pay their usual fee.

Do you invoice in advance? or in arrears for public/bank holidays used?

What about if they want to just use some of their hours for the day?

The Juggler
22-04-2012, 03:29 PM
i charge the same monthly rate all year round. if a BH falls I get paid for it. Though I have 2 siblings just started and have decided to only charge for one of them on a BH as both parents self employed.:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
22-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I have on my contracts that I am happy to work Bank/Public Holidays with four weeks written notice but at an enhanced hourly rate. Double fee for all but Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day which would be triple fee.

As I am available to work, if they don't use me they pay full fee for the day if it falls on a contracted day. I have never had a problem with this policy.

fatima
22-04-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't worl bank holidays or public holidays and don't chrage parent should there day fall on it, it's my time to spend with my own children

Ripeberry
23-04-2012, 06:26 AM
I don't worl bank holidays or public holidays and don't chrage parent should there day fall on it, it's my time to spend with my own children

Same here :thumbsup:

Demonjill
23-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Can anyone help with the last 2 points on my OP please?:thumbsup:

FussyElmo
23-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Can anyone help with the last 2 points on my OP please?:thumbsup:

I would invoice as normal - you could always ask the parents in advance if they wanted you for the bh.

Not sure about the last point I charge by session regardless of the hours used. Do yoou charge by the hour? I think you would have to be very careful as if they only wanted a couple of hours you could feel you were losing out on the enhanced rate.

Demonjill
23-04-2012, 09:39 AM
I would invoice as normal - you could always ask the parents in advance if they wanted you for the bh.

Not sure about the last point I charge by session regardless of the hours used. Do yoou charge by the hour? I think you would have to be very careful as if they only wanted a couple of hours you could feel you were losing out on the enhanced rate.

Thankyou yes i do charge by the hour but parents pay for all their hours whether they use them or not on a normal contracted day
Think i would have to say that if they were using my service on a holiday then it would be the enhanced rate for the usual hours they use so the same rules applying really just that it would be more per hour - does that make sense.? im prob just getting myself in a pickle when i dont need to be :rolleyes:

Some parents dont know until a few days before what is happening each day and they chose me as a CM as im flexible and dont mind this as it usually works in my favour with kids not coming or picking up early etc so might just put on the following invoice if this is the case

Mouse
23-04-2012, 09:59 AM
If I am prepared to work a bank holiday I charge double rate if the children attend, normal rate if they don't. I ask for 4 weeks notice if parents want to send the children to me, so that means I can invoice in advance as usual.

If the children aren't coming I invoice the normal amount, if the children are coming I invoice at double fee. Parents know it's non-refundable, so should they pay for a bank holiday, then not come, they don't get the money back.

I charge set amounts & make it clear that on a bank holiday I would charge the full hours, no matter how many they use (up to the contracted amount). On my contracts it says the charge for a bank holiday is £70 (double day rate) for upto 9hours within the contracted hours. My full day is 8am - 5pm, so it covers any hours used withing those times.
For short days, I have a mindee for 4 hours @ £20 a day, the contract says £40 for up to 4 hours between 10am-2pm).
Even though you usually charge an hourly rate, you obviously have a set day amount per child, according to their hours, so could word it similarly.

smurfette
23-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Ah now you see I got caught with this one with good Friday. One of my parents is a community Health nurse and I assumed she wasn't working since she doesn't work bank hols usually. She just assumed I was available so there was two of us in it! I got up at 745 and she didn't arrive Til 9, not being worried as her boss wasn't in that day, but still don't know if she accidentally over slept or deliberately didn't get up. She said she would try have him picked up at 2, but in the end it wasn't until after 4 and I had made plans to meet my sister based on that. I was very cross by the end of the day! I did of course get paid but just isu amount but didn't feel I could ask for more as she also needed to pay for Easter monday tho she wasn't using me. I have lived and learned and will in future take that day off! Would rather have it unpaid than be caught I was so looking forward to a long weekend with my own kids!

So just be careful saying you are available andante
Sure uou do get paid extra if you do!!