PDA

View Full Version : Teachers pension linked with nursery hours?

jadavi
22-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Good morning.
I wondered if as nursery teachers ( those offering free places) qualify for pension rights? As a retired school teacher who didn't work long in the system I come about 140 hours short of the minimum pension requirement.
If all goes to plan I'll qualify in September to offer funded places. Would this count? We are working for the education Dept after all.
Any ideas o wise ones?

Love ja. X

muffins
22-04-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't know for sure, hopefully someone else will come & answer.

I am in the process of becoming accredited at the moment and it hasn't been mentioned to me by my DO. I would have thought no though as you aren't actually employed with a contract, they dont pay you for set hrs, you are still self employed and you just claim for the funding when you provide it!

jadavi
22-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks, but if I was a nursery provider in a ;larger setting ie a school, I would get it and we are providing a school at home....
when I did one to one in the school I billed them for my hours as well and I was self employed....
mmm will search further ,
thanks though.

blue bear
22-04-2012, 04:57 PM
I see it as they contract out the provision, so we do not work for them as such, we are self employed and contracted to deliver a service.
Many company's prefer contracting out parts of their business as its cheaper because they do not have to give benefits like they do for employees.
A pension is a benefit of being employed.

rickysmiths
22-04-2012, 07:08 PM
I would have thought the only way to top up a Pension would be to go back to Teaching full time.

A Childminder even an Accredited one is Self Employed. We are not paid a salary by the Local Education Authority for providing 3-4 year old care. They are paying us a fee to cover the fees we would be paid by the parent for those hours.