PDA

View Full Version : A final question on safeguarding....

jumpinjen
21-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi again,

I recently had a concern over a child and discussed it with her mother who tackled her father who was the source of the issue and came back to me with a course of action that seemed acceptable to me and it went no further.

My question - should I have recorded this in some way? If yes, then how? Will Ofsted have expected it to be recorded or will a verbal exploration have been OK?

Thanks, Jen

rickysmiths
21-04-2012, 09:28 PM
A child protection concern I would always record especially if I had to discuss it with a parent. It would go on a 'Record of Concern ' form from my NCMA accident folder.

I would record what my concern was. What I had told the mother. Her response. Especially as the mother has implicated the father. I would also record what action the mother suggested and how and why the action worked (or didn't) and what further action may have been needed.

In a sense Ofsted wouldn't ask you about it if it wasn't recorded because they wouldn't know anything had happened.

However you need to cover yourself especially form possible allegations. This is why anything of this nature should be recorded. If anything further happens and you then felt you needed to take the mater further the more you have recorded the better. What you have may be another piece in a bigger jigsaw.

Demonjill
21-04-2012, 09:46 PM
I would also record something like this.

We need to cover ourselves for the "what ifs.." in this job:thumbsup:

jumpinjen
21-04-2012, 10:04 PM
thanks ladies - it was more concerns about inappropriate language which made me concerned that the child was viewing adult programmes that weren't suitable - in particular I thought it may be violent video games. It came back that the child was watching the news and that dad took on board that she may be upset by it and that care should be taken. I will make a note of it all and keep it in the file then?

jen x

sarah707
22-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I would make a note and keep it in the file until the risk period has passed / things improve etc.

If the situation takes a downturn the information will be useful to have written down from the time it happened.

Hth :D